NBC Sports Edge Forums

Terry McLaurin 2020 Outlook

1 minute ago, USWAY said:

That's strange that PIT would make that the game plan. At no time this season has Smith made it a priority to force feed Terry. Allowing him to throw to the open, lesser receivers is playing to his strengths.

Yeah Pit needed to lose a game. They almost lost to the Ravens B team and were bragging about it on twitter before that game. Sims had some great catches and a couple bad drops. Terry is still the man, this was a one week anomaly but I'm happy for Sims, seeing him get the game ball for beating an 11-0 team was a great moment. This will help Terry in the long run, I made my playoffs so I'm just happy for the epic win by the skins

• Haha 1
  • Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Cowboys probably.

File this under “things I never thought I’d read.”  

7 minutes ago, USWAY said:

That's strange that PIT would make that the game plan. At no time this season has Smith made it a priority to force feed Terry. Allowing him to throw to the open, lesser receivers is playing to his strengths.

This. Pitt was not triple teaming Terry Mclaurin I have him as well lets be honest, Alex Smith would rather make the easier less stressful throw he's  game manager whose always had a good TD:INT ratio because he does not take those risks. Mckissic 10 Receptions yesterday again tells you all you need to know.

Just now, CroNY said:

This. Pitt was not triple teaming Terry Mclaurin I have him as well lets be honest, Alex Smith would rather make the easier less stressful throw he's  game manager whose always had a good TD:INT ratio because he does not take those risks. Mckissic 10 Receptions yesterday again tells you all you need to know.

Safety and/or LB had eyes on Terry the whole game, Alex Smith isn't great athletically, but he's no dummy. He saw it. Terry is still by far the best player on this team's O. Pit dared us, Sims and Thomas stepped up well enough. Terry is still twice as good as either of them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, zorndogs said:

Safety and/or LB had eyes on Terry the whole game, Alex Smith isn't great athletically, but he's no dummy. He saw it. Terry is still by far the best player on this team's O. Pit dared us, Sims and Thomas stepped up well enough. Terry is still twice as good as either of them

Really oh okay I didn't watch much of the game I'll take your word for it. Makes me feel better about that outcome a bit more I guess.

5 minutes ago, CroNY said:

Really oh okay I didn't watch much of the game I'll take your word for it. Makes me feel better about that outcome a bit more I guess.

PIT's game plan was just silly. They stopped our best WR and benched their own best WR Claypool for most of the game. I watched this game very closely. Terry is fine, this was a fluke. Watch Riverboat Ron's post game speech lifting up Sims as a legit no 2 for Terry, it's beautiful

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, zorndogs said:

6 minutes ago, zorndogs said:

PIT's game plan was just silly. They stopped our best WR and benched their own best WR Claypool for most of the game. I watched this game very closely. Terry is fine, this was a fluke. Watch Riverboat Ron's post game speech lifting up Sims as a legit no 2 for Terry, it's beautiful

Alex Smith, is that you?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, ThreadKiller said:

Alex Smith, is that you?

Just a huge fan. He sucks but he's good, no QB in NFL history has ever embodied that phrase more than Alex Smith. Mark Rypien might be a close second. He's gonna get the ball to by far our best player, Terry. Just couldn't happen this week

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, zorndogs said:

Just a huge fan. He sucks but he's good, no QB in NFL history has ever embodied that phrase more than Alex Smith. Mark Rypien might be a close second. He's gonna get the ball to by far our best player, Terry. Just couldn't happen this week

What position do you hold within the organization? Can you score me some tickets?

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, ThreadKiller said:

What position do you hold within the organization? Can you score me some tickets?

Number one super fan! Hail! Terry is going to crush it in the fantasy playoffs. Especially if Gibson is out I think, Sims and Thomas played great today but they aren't on Terry's level.

• Haha 1

Was it me or did he drop several balls?

If there's a couple silver linings here it's that a) He got this dud out of the way before the playoffs, and b) minus A. Gibson this offense is going to be really pass heavy. Think they learned something this week.

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

If there's a couple silver linings here it's that a) He got this dud out of the way before the playoffs, and b) minus A. Gibson this offense is going to be really pass heavy. Think they learned something this week.

He dropped one long bomb but he was double covered and it would have been a pretty special catch if he came down with it.

Otherwise I think the bigger issue is that he just wasn't involved that much. It was the Thomas and Sims show.

3 minutes ago, MingusDew said:

He dropped one long bomb but he was double covered and it would have been a pretty special catch if he came down with it.

Otherwise I think the bigger issue is that he just wasn't involved that much. It was the Thomas and Sims show.

And McKissic show. Guy had 10 receptions. Jeesh. That's the thing about Smith...he looks downfield for a split second then it's dump off city.

28 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

I don't know man, this game scared me. I have the luxury of having Diontae on my bench, I might ride him the rest of the way (if I even get into the playoffs now). 

10 minutes ago, stevieglick said:

I don't know man, this game scared me. I have the luxury of having Diontae on my bench, I might ride him the rest of the way (if I even get into the playoffs now). 

Terry has been super consistent and it’s his first poor showing since like week 4 or 5. Steelers just had a horrible game plan and let Alex smith stay in his comfort zone throwing it to McKissic and Thomas. Other teams will take away the easy completions and force them to throw it downfield more often. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, thebadferret said:

not worried about his outlook at all. Just sucks that he layed an egg when I needed him the most.

Pretty much this. I have no issues starting him in the playoffs but last night's dud was really rough. 

Well, at least the Bills just gave The Football Team a great gameplan for how to beat the 49ers.  The Bills had nothing on the ground from their RBs.  21 carries for 70 yds, zero TDs and more importantly, only 4 RB receptions for 27 yards on 5 targets and 4 TE receptions for 27 yards. 

Josh Allen and the Bills receivers lit up the Niners secondary for 4 TDs.  Cole Beasley and Diggs combined for 19 rec., 222 yards on 22 targets.  Tons of bombs. 

Watch the tape Alex!!! 

1 hour ago, MBarbarian said:

Well, at least the Bills just gave The Football Team a great gameplan for how to beat the 49ers.  The Bills had nothing on the ground from their RBs.  21 carries for 70 yds, zero TDs and more importantly, only 4 RB receptions for 27 yards on 5 targets and 4 TE receptions for 27 yards. 

Josh Allen and the Bills receivers lit up the Niners secondary for 4 TDs.  Cole Beasley and Diggs combined for 19 rec., 222 yards on 22 targets.  Tons of bombs. 

Watch the tape Alex!!! 

Too bad throwing bombs is foreign to Alex Smith this doesn't really apply considering Josh Allen slings the ball 30 yards downfield with as much frequency as Alex Smith does slinging it 3 yards passed the line of scrimmage. Killing my boy Terry, likable dude but ugh just kills his big game potential. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Alex Smith, is that you?

You can tell it's him. he writes with a limp

11 hours ago, MingusDew said:

he had one other drop on a 3rd down that should've been a very easy first down conversion. It was very surprising because usually he's automatic with stuff like that. 

11 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

McKissic is going to get approximately 45 targets next week. 

5 hours ago, CroNY said:

Too bad throwing bombs is foreign to Alex Smith this doesn't really apply considering Josh Allen slings the ball 30 yards downfield with as much frequency as Alex Smith does slinging it 3 yards passed the line of scrimmage. Killing my boy Terry, likable dude but ugh just kills his big game potential. 

This just blew my mind (see video halfway down page):  

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/11/alex-smith-was-nfls-most-accurate-deep-passer-in-2017/

Smith, who had the best season of his career with over 4,000 yards passing, 26 touchdowns and only five interceptions in 2017, was the NFL’s most accurate deep passer in 2017 according to Pro Football Focus.

Per PFF, Smith had 1,344 yards passing with a 56.5 completion percentage and a 131.4 passer rating on deep balls (throws targeted 20 yards or more past the line of scrimmage).

PFF didn’t list who Smith’s favorite deep-ball target was, but we have a hunch: receiver Tyreek Hill.

Hill had seven offensive touchdowns in 2017, and the distances were from 75, 30, 64, 56, 79, 40 and 64 yards. Needless to say that Hill is a threat to score any time he has the ball in his hands, and Smith gladly took advantage of that.

That wasn't that long ago.  Smith was 33 years old then and he's 36 years old now.  This isn't a 43 year old Brady situation.  And in 2017 the other Chiefs receivers sucked other than Tyreek (and Kelce).  I want to believe Smith can still do it.  

God, if you're listening, please give Alex Smith the strength to channel is inner 2017 self and throw Tyreek-esque bombs to F1 McLaurin these next three games so I don't have to start DJ Chark.  Amen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, MBarbarian said:

This just blew my mind (see video halfway down page):  

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/11/alex-smith-was-nfls-most-accurate-deep-passer-in-2017/

That wasn't that long ago.  Smith was 33 years old then and he's 36 years old now.  This isn't a 43 year old Brady situation.  And in 2017 the other Chiefs receivers sucked other than Tyreek (and Kelce).  I want to believe Smith can still do it.  

God, if you're listening, please give Alex Smith the strength to channel is inner 2017 self and throw Tyreek-esque bombs to F1 McLaurin these next three games so I don't have to start DJ Chark.  Amen

Context is important though. Who cares how long the TDs were when it comes to total yardage. Relative to this discussion, the only important piece of info would be how far the ball traveled before it was in Hill's hands prior to the TDs, not the total yardage for the TDs...

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Thanks 1

ascending team need a QB in the worst way hopefully it's addressed and they don't try to use Alex Smith next year as some sort of stop gap. Competent QB he sleep walks into 1400 yards he was on pace for that with this assortment until the duds the past two weeks. Can they trade for someone in the offseason, I'd love to see Matthew Stafford there throwing him the ball, pipe dream probably but just garbage QB play killing his ceiling and now his consistency apparently.