NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mecole Hardman 2020 Outlook

42 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Kelce

Hill

CEH

Watkins

That’s the pecking order for targets in KC. Hardman fans need a serious reality check.

Heres the real pecking order moving forward and not just regurgitating last years..

Kelce

Hill

Hardman 

CEH 

Watkins 

Edited by BxBOMBERs28
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Flaccidman

Mecole Hardman is the 2nd best receiver on the Chiefs behind Hill. No idea why the Chiefs don't give him more run; he's really good.   FREE MECOLE.

He's yourcole now

Just now, isuckatdfs said:

You think hill is going to outtarget kelce? He will def have more air yards but not targets. I say hardman gets to 80 targets and will have his 3 or 4 random wow games good luck guessing when they come. Great for best ball meh for redraft. 

No typo

4 minutes ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

CSB

Heres the real pecking order moving forward and not just regurgitating last years..

Hill 

Kelce 

Hardman 

CEH 

Watkins 

You could be right, but what makes you think so? Why did Hardman receive only 4 targets in the last 5 games of 2019?

I've seen a little coach-speak about the Chiefs giving him a bigger role, but almost anything would be bigger than near zero.

I think the hope is he becomes a more dynamic route runner and steals snaps from Demarcus Robinson. For now, I'm assuming he still knows only how to run straight and is behind both Watkins and CEH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, isuckatdfs said:

You think hill is going to outtarget kelce? He will def have more air yards but not targets. I say hardman gets to 80 targets and will have his 3 or 4 random wow games good luck guessing when they come. Great for best ball meh for redraft. 

If Hardman gets 80 targets, not unreasonable to expect he catches 50 balls at maybe 18 yards per reception - that’s 900 yards right there. I’d be moderately happy if that’s the amount of targets he receives. Upside pieces on the most explosive passing offense in the league is a no brainer at that point in drafts. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 3:26 PM, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Kelce

Hill

Hardman 

CEH 

Watkins 

On a per game basis last year's actually went...

Kelce

Hill

Watkins

Robinson

Williams

McCoy

Hardman

Just like everyone else I love Hardman's talent but I'm very leery of the team's usage situation. His targets per game need to go up by at least 50% to be relevant. Since he's so cheap and the potential reward is massive I'm going to take the chance and see how the targets shake out but I could easily see him again used too sparsely to start in fantasy. 

12 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Yall don't really think he's going outproduce Watkins if both are healthy do you?

If you do, please explain why. 

The point is Watkins is never healthy. I give him 3 quarters before he pulls his hammy and is out 4-6 weeks. 

12 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Yall don't really think he's going outproduce Watkins if both are healthy do you?

If you do, please explain why. 

Sammy Watkins (groin) returned to practice.

Watkins was sidelined the last few days, but there was never concern over his status. The Chiefs are likely to limit his reps leading up to Week 1. Watkins hasn’t played a full season since 2014. Sports Injury Predictor gives him a 95 percent chance of missing time.   

• Haha 3
14 hours ago, PackerBacker555 said:

Has more value in return yardage leagues. I believe he is the KR and may be the PR as well 

Apparently they are taking Mecole off special teams.   So that should be a good sign for his overall value and long term outlook.

1 hour ago, this guy right here said:

Sammy Watkins (groin) returned to practice.

Watkins was sidelined the last few days, but there was never concern over his status. The Chiefs are likely to limit his reps leading up to Week 1. Watkins hasn’t played a full season since 2014. Sports Injury Predictor gives him a 95 percent chance of missing time.   

95% is pretty pretty high lol.

I am willing to take that chance at that reduced cost though.

95... LOL

1 hour ago, Zig Zag said:

Apparently they are taking Mecole off special teams.   So that should be a good sign for his overall value and long term outlook.

I heard about a week ago that they recommitted to him as the kick and punt returner.  I know they were looking at some other guys to start the summer.  Has there been a subsequent change?

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, WEIL3R said:

I heard about a week ago that they recommitted to him as the kick and punt returner.  I know they were looking at some other guys to start the summer.  Has there been a subsequent change?

Sorry, you are correct.

Mecole Hardman expected to remain primary return man for Chiefs

If early practices are any indication of what’s to come in the regular season, Chiefs WR Mecole Hardman will remain as the primary kick and punt returner for Kansas City. 

Fantasy Impact

There had been rumors swirling earlier in the offseason that Hardman would be taken off return duties and integrated even more into the offense. With Sammy Watkins still ahead of him on the wide receiver depth chart at least for one more season, the Chiefs will continue to utilize Hardman’s versatility in the return game. He’ll obviously be used as a receiver as well, but his breakout on offense may have to wait another year, unless Watkins or Tyreek Hill go down with an injury of course, then all bets are off and Hardman could be one of the biggest steals of your fantasy draft. 

Adam Koffler

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Percy Harvin did just fine doubling on kick and punt returns. What a silly argument that taking those delays an offensive breakout.

Agreed. Steve Smith too. And doesn't Tyler Lockett still do returns for Seattle? 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Percy Harvin did just fine doubling on kick and punt returns. What a silly argument that taking those delays an offensive breakout.

9 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Agreed. Steve Smith too. And doesn't Tyler Lockett still do returns for Seattle? 

as did the clown show 🤡 AB 🤡

Watkins was born with a nagging lower leg injury and it shouldn’t shock anyone when he inevitably misses games this season. He already has landed on the injury report with this season with the naggiest of injuries, the groin, and it’s really just a matter of time before the injuries pile up and get the best of him. Incredible player that will be defined by his unfortunate inability to stay healthy. 

Enter Hardman—a guy defined by his incredible efficiency and ability to take it to the house on any play. He’s never been a volume guy, but he also plays on an offense with options like Hill, Kelce, Watkins, and now CEH. It is true that in order for him to take the next step he will need one of these guys to go down at minimum—and he may never be a guy that is peppered with 10+ targets like Hill. That said, in his first year in the league, despite getting half the targets (41) as Tyreek had in his rookie year (83), he finished with just 55 fewer yards and the same amount of TDS (6). When a guy plays like that, how can you possibly keep him off the field?

There aren’t a lot of historical comps for the type of ridiculous plays Hardman was able to make with such limited opportunities. Guys that play like that don’t typically regress in terms of snap share or targets, and yet we saw over the second half of last season that exact thing happen to Hardman. Right now he’s an enigma—if you tell me he’s a future WR1/2 by the time the season is over, I wouldn’t argue with you. If you tell me he’s going to be a boom/bust WR4/5 that comes back to reality with his efficiency and gets limited opportunities on a team with many mouths to feed, I wouldn’t argue with you either. 

Still, there are few guys in the history of the league that have been that dynamic with limited opportunities. It’s hard for me to imagine the coaching staff looking at his tape from last year and thinking, that guy deserves less opportunities. We need to keep that guy off the field. And my bets this year in fantasy have been made accordingly. We will see tonight the early returns on those bets cashing. Good luck all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1