NBC Sports Edge Forums

Darrell Henderson 2020 Outlook

1 hour ago, Nickmo said:

I didn't think that was too far off but I guess I was wrong. But that's why we discuss here. It's good to get other opinions on here so we don't look bad when offering trades lol.

I think Boyd is realistic. The situation is murky but he's gone over 15 points in 3 of 4 games...

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised by how eager many are to sell here. The LA Rams are 2nd in rush attempts in the league. They are neck-and-neck with the Browns with only a 3 carry separation. This is a backfield yo

Because the GM said he wants to use multiple backs? Jesus, you not watch very much ball. About every team but five use multiple RBs. I think it’s smart for real life teams to do if they want to protec

Dynasty owners  

16 minutes ago, aapox said:

I think Boyd is realistic. The situation is murky but he's gone over 15 points in 3 of 4 games...

I think many Henderson owners would make that trade, and that's where the problem lies. Most of us think that 15+ games are unsustainable (given how eager to sell we are), and unfortunately that's a pretty easy conclusion for someone to come to even if they hadn't been paying attention before

There's a lot of room for RB scoring in this offense. Gurley had 35 TDs over the last 2 seasons. Henderson is capable of scoring. Henderson also had very little room to run Sunday which helps explain a pretty poor rushing line. Akers looked pretty good yesterday but keep in mind half his touches, including his 46 yarder, came with LA up 20 with 5 minutes left in the game. His other touches were much like Henderson's with little room to run, and were 8/15/0 otherwise. McVay's quote, which was actually a paragraph long, was highly positive but typical of talking up your players. Akers looked solid and deserves more opportunity, at least at the expense of Malcolm Brown, but this doesn't strike me as something to hit the panic button on for Henderson. 

Full quote below.

“Cam Akers was great. I thought he had a couple of tough runs and then he got hawked by Montez Sweat. I’m not going let him live that one down,” McVay said Sunday. “That was a great run to be able to get that going. And then you see a four-D and that was like a big freakin’ impressive guy chasing him. But, he was good. I think it was good to get him going again. You see the athleticism, you see the dynamic run ability and I thought he created his on his own a little bit. He had some good tough runs and it’s a good way to get Cam going. So, with that I think you can expect his workload to increase next week against the 49ers.”

• Like 3
2 hours ago, MKO3090 said:

I'm surprised by how eager many are to sell here. The LA Rams are 2nd in rush attempts in the league. They are neck-and-neck with the Browns with only a 3 carry separation.

This is a backfield you want to have a piece in. Henderson is the most valuable RB. Akers, the main competitor, has 1 catch and 0 TDs through 4 games. He has also been injured (ribs). As a rookie learning a unique scheme, missing valuable practice time is a terrible thing. And that's not even getting into the reinjury risk. Brown is a JAG. I expect him to eventually be phased out by Akers. There is a near 0% chance Henderson is phased out of this offense.

On Hendo worst day, where he is rumored to be injured, he got you 9 touches. Didn't do much with them, but touches are touches. In his 1st game back he got 15, in his 2nd he got 21, and in the 4th (Sunday) he got 18.

In the 1st drive of the last game, Hendo got a key 1st down in the RZ. Then they immediately went back to him to punch it in. Against an elite front 7. In the final drive, he got another key 1st down. And they again went right back to him for the 1st receiving TD of his career. There really can't be any more signaling that they like their 3rd round pick FROM A YEAR AGO and are going to use him.

Great post.  There is no question about the downside and volatility a la Patriots.  But this is a dynamic back who - if he did this last year - people wouldn't doubt it for a second and even think it is matter of time before he gets lead back duties. The doubt is all because of Akers and the pre-season hype a lot of which had to do with how much Henderson disappointed last year.  I do think Akers will continue to get carries but Henderson isn't going to lose his job so long as he performs.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, TuckAndRolle said:

I think many Henderson owners would make that trade, and that's where the problem lies. Most of us think that 15+ games are unsustainable (given how eager to sell we are), and unfortunately that's a pretty easy conclusion for someone to come to even if they hadn't been paying attention before

I agree with your assessment of the players, but the worst mistake a fantasy owner can do with trading is to assume that everyone views things through the same lens (and I do this all the time, so I'm not preaching, just making the point that we all see things differently and all it takes is one person to believe otherwise and there's your trade).

• Like 1

Henderson’s an absolute monster with the ball in his hands. Off night 14/88, TD called back. McVay refuses to get him in space. Should be RB2 as long as healthy.

What is McVay doing? Seriously. It’s so clear that Henderson is the better back. I even peaked at the Rams reddit page and fans were mad at Brown being in.

How do you have Brown start the first 2 drives in the 2nd half? I’m glad they lost.

44 minutes ago, tpat30 said:

What is McVay doing? Seriously. It’s so clear that Henderson is the better back. I even peaked at the Rams reddit page and fans were mad at Brown being in.

How do you have Brown start the first 2 drives in the 2nd half? I’m glad they lost.

Here's my best read on the situation:

(1) Darrell Henderson is the lead back.  McVay trusts him the most with touches, particularly carries.  As such, Henderson gets the majority of snaps in close games and/or games where the Rams are leading (to eat clock).  

(2) However, despite Henderson's productivity with his touches, the Rams trust Malcolm Brown more in pass protection.  Henderson is a smaller back at 5'8 so it's no surprise they favor Brown as a blocker.  As such, Brown sees a greater share of snaps when the Rams are trailing, usually by 2+ scores.  

I think this is why we saw Brown on the opening two drives of the third quarter.  The Rams were down two TDs.  They were looking to get Goff going and establish the passing game (which was horrible for the first half), so they played the guy they perceive as the best in pass protection.  

(3) Cam Akers, as a rookie, is the developmental piece.  I think we see won't see much of Akers in close games, or games where the Rams are trailing.  

It shouldn't surprise that we saw a lot of Akers last week against a terrible Redskins team (Rams won 30-10).  McVay had more leeway to experiment with RBs.  

---

Hopefully McVay comes to the conclusion that whatever advantage Malcolm Brown offers in pass protection is insufficient to offset his other flaws (relative to Henderson).  

The good news for fantasy owners is that the first two drives of the 3rd quarter, led by Malcolm Brown, were a dumpster fire.  On the third drive, Henderson had seven straight carries and took the Rams all the way to the goal line.  After that point, Henderson got more burn until a clear two-minute drills script (wherein Brown took over).   

Between this game (vs. 49'ers) and the game against the Giants, the Rams have looked the worst on offense when Brown is in at RB. 

With that said, I think Henderson can gradually take more touches from Brown.  However, I think the two-minute drill and 3rd and longs, will more frequently belong to Brown (if not exclusively in the case of the former). 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Rainyy said:

Here's my best read on the situation:

Agreed. McVay might be the only person that sees Brown as anything more than a scrub. Even if it is for pass protection Brown seems like he runs more routes than blocks anyways (I'll have to look into that). Brown can catch a wide open pass, we've seen that. He also has zero ability to move the ball up field after the catch. Henderson can make the catches Brown's been making and actually turn it into something extra. And That's part of what they were missing today. No screens or any designed RB dump offs (I apologize if I missed any). On a day where Goff couldn't hit wide open receivers, get your RB in space where Goff can hit him short and let him do some work.

Next week against the Bears they're gonna need Henderson. The bears pass D is solid. They only allow a 57% completion rate. They're lighting up opposing QBs. Goff makes bad decisions under pressure. Goff is also 353/0/5 in his two games again Chicago. They're not going to win leaning on Goff. 

3 hours ago, tpat30 said:

As a Rams fan, Mcvay cost us the game with that. 

In the games we win, establish the run early to take pressure off Goff. It's clear as day Henderson is the guy this year, but for some reason, Mcvay has committed to this RB by committee thing. I honestly think he's gunshy of using his RB up early in the season and not having him for a playoff run (like what happened with Gurley), but there won't be a playoff run if he doesn't play his best guys. Hendo was eating all night and not having him in the first two drives after half is inexcusable. And then when he was in there and led them down the field, Mcvay passes on 3rd (Kupp should've caught it) and 4th. If you know you're going for it on 4th, just run it up the gut 4 times. 

I love Mcvay, but every year he has a game or two where he gets too cute and cost us a win. He needs to feed Hendo moving forward. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From The Athletic:

Darrell Henderson was 18th and is a Top 20 RB going forward. Probably more like 15 given how explosive he looks. Sean McVay said this week that Cam Akers isn’t ready.

There was also a report from a beat writer that Malcom Brown is really only in there for pass protection because the other two guys are younger. There is some speculation Akers is so bad in protection they can't really use him until he cleans it up.

Edited by LongBalls
  • Thanks 2
56 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

From The Athletic:

Darrell Henderson was 18th and is a Top 20 RB going forward. Probably more like 15 given how explosive he looks. Sean McVay said this week that Cam Akers isn’t ready.

There was also a report from a beat writer that Malcom Brown is really only in there for pass protection because the other two guys are younger. There is some speculation Akers is so bad in protection they can't really use him until he cleans it up.

So Malcolm Brown week then? Got it 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

Maybe. Depends which SF offense shows up. Could be a close, run heavy script. That would favor Hendo. 

They played SF this past Sunday. LA plays Chicago this week on MNF.

Edited by smeeze
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, smeeze said:

They played SF this past Sunday. LA plays Chicago this week on MNF.

Hah I guess I'm a week behind. Point still stands it should be close-ish. Think it's statistically easier to run on the Bears than pass as well.