NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Darrell Henderson 2020 Outlook

FantasyGuru24

3 hours ago, smeeze said:

I still think Akers ends up taking over the job and winds up being the 2020 version of an every down back. Henderson will probably have a change of pace role and be at least flex-worthy in PPR down the stretch.

Just my thoughts, I’m a Rams fan trying to read the tea leaves like everyone else.

Akers might just be like Henderson was last season: deer in the headlights. Brown is JAG and will eventually fade away.

• Thanks 1

I think some may be a bit too optimistic on Akers for this year, where Henderson could carve out a nice RB2 or flex role. He doesn't necessarily have to run away with the RB spot solely if he'll continue to get a decent amount of rushes and be involved in the passing game. He seems like he's got the stuff to be productive in any role they use him with his decent big play ability. If he's as dynamic as they're saying the Rams will certainly utilize him quite a bit. 

Edited by tonywow
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Haven't had a chance to watch the Rams yet but did their O-line significantly improve from last season? Just surprising seeing their RBs get good yardage in back to back weeks after their line disaster a season ago.

The interiors healthier, and I think have benefited from another year of experience.

I don't imagine Noteboom, Blythe and Corbett are going to blow anyone's hair back but they're good enough to get the job done, and Whitworth and Havenstein are good run blocking tackles.

Plus it looks like McVay is calling more traditional running plays.  Those stretch zones are still there but against the Eagles they were mixed in with some more straight draws and counters.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rylaughlin said:

This guy looks far and away more dynamic than Brown or Akers. Rams have the best offense of all this week's waiver wire RBs. Henderson has the greatest likelihood to be the guy who sticks in lineups beyond a couple of weeks not including Kelley. 

I was all on the late season Akers train (still not ruling it out), but Henderson looked great on Sunday. Hitting the hole, acceleration, pass catching, all looked awesome. He's definitely worth having on your team to see how it shakes out because the Rams RB is a valuable position. 

There's definite things to like here. And things to not like. But Malcolm Brown is clearly not the answer for the Rams. He might steal 10-12 carries in some form of a committee, but that's his ceiling. Cam Akers is the real threat, so the fact he's hurt and hasn't looked great so far is a bit helpful to Henderson. Whether that's enough to carve out a bigger role for Henderson remains to be seen.

Henderson does seem over his hamstring injury (likely contributed to less snaps in Week 1) and likely would be the third down type back regardless of Brown/Akers

Picked him up in one league that I have Akers, just to see how things shake out. I don't see this guy taking over and I wouldn't look at him if I didn't have Akers. It will be hot hand for now probably until Akers gets healthy and up to speed. I'm thinking by mid season, but then again it may not happen this year for Cam. If Cam doesn't emerge then all I can see is a three-back rotation. That's as bad as what is going on in Detroit with AD, Swift, and Kerryon.

10 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

4 of the next 5 defenses he faces is Buffalo, Washington, Sam Francisco, and Chicago.

Tough D's but he looked great last weekend.

3 pretty bad offenses there and not sure how good SF's D is right now. Washington isnt good outside of their D-line. 

Im not concerned about the schedule.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Vikezfan said:

This could not be setting up better for this guy.  Akers has just looked average and now is dinged up.  Malcolm Brown, is, and always will be a back up.  This is Henderson’s job to lose at this point. 

Brown looked really good, and just had a hurt finger.

Henderson looked great too, but to think it still won't be a RBBC with the two is wishful thinking, imo.

He's a risky flex play with upside. Pretty much the same spectrum of results you'd expect from McKinnon or Wilson...could be nothing, could be beast....

12 hours ago, smeeze said:

“Likely”... all you needed to add to your post instead of passing it off as fact.

Sigh.

That seems awfully pedantic considering, "Sean McVay says Joe Noteboom will probably go on short term IR soon."

But ok.  Noteboom is LIKELY to go on IR.  That is LIKELY not good for any Rams backs.

Edited by JE7HorseGod
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

Noteboom isnt good, PFF rating of 42.4 this season. Worst rating of anyone on the Rams OLine

Yeah but if he sucks, imagine how bad his backup is.

We didn't have to last year when he got hurt and the run game sputtered with Hendo, Brown and Gurley.  Of course it wasn't all him, they had other injuries to the interior, Gurley was hurt or playing hurt, McVay was calling all those stretch plays, etc.

I'm just saying, it's not a good thing for a run game if a starting guard misses time.

27 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Yeah but if he sucks, imagine how bad his backup is.

We didn't have to last year when he got hurt and the run game sputtered with Hendo, Brown and Gurley.  Of course it wasn't all him, they had other injuries to the interior, Gurley was hurt or playing hurt, McVay was calling all those stretch plays, etc.

I'm just saying, it's not a good thing for a run game if a starting guard misses time.

I agree ultimately, injuries piling up especially to the OL is never a good thing. My main point overall is that the Rams OLine is looking like a top 10 unit again (serious interior improvements), despite not any changes to personnel. Sometimes the continuity is enough and gives the players more time to jell with each other. Seeing the same thing in JAX with that OLine. Either way, I want to own the top back on a run heavy team with a great OLine- and Hendy is my bet on that.

30 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

I agree ultimately, injuries piling up especially to the OL is never a good thing. My main point overall is that the Rams OLine is looking like a top 10 unit again (serious interior improvements), despite not any changes to personnel. Sometimes the continuity is enough and gives the players more time to jell with each other. Seeing the same thing in JAX with that OLine. Either way, I want to own the top back on a run heavy team with a great OLine- and Hendy is my bet on that.

I'd agree, but in the spirit of a "continuity" discussion I'd see Noteboom getting hurt as I guess more problematic than you would independent of his PFF score.