NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2020 Outlook

But back to Bell, I actually think it was dumb for Pittsburgh to franchise tag him once, let alone twice.  Successful teams pay big bucks for LT, QB, edge rusher, and shut-down cornerback and use cheap, productive committees at the running back position.  I guess the Steelers thought they had a Superbowl window and wanted to keep the band together.  Bell himself helped to tube that by missing the walkthrough prior to the Jacksonville playoff loss.

But Bell seemingly matured a bit last year.  By all accounts he worked hard, and I did not see public complaints from him, during a difficult season.  Bell was not used to that much losing, and that little production.

But even if Bell was Marshall Faulk above the neck (one of the smartest players in the NFL the past twenty years), I would still fade him based on his age, physical abilities, and the presence of Gore and especially Gase.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone that doesn't have Dolphins, Chiefs or Bills RBs

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The Steelers owned KC for years during the Tomlin/Reid eras.  Steelers beat them in the playoffs in KC, at least twice that I can recall.

Tomlin is fine.  He's more of a motivator and leader than he is an intricate Xs and Os type.  Remember also that Pittsburgh barely lost to Baltimore last year, despite their league-worst QB situation.

WOW!!1!!!!1!11111!!

THEY BARELY LOST??!?

AMAZING!

... oh, and care to tell me how many times a superior (double digits favorite) Teflon Tomlin led Stillers squad flat out LOST to far inferior opponents?

he's Marvin Lewis with one lucky ring, which was actually procured by Arians offensive scheme pulling off one of the greatest winning drives in SB history... matter of fact, Whisenhunt dragging the moribund/forever doormat Cards franchise there (only to lose to two of the top 10 SB plays of all time - Harrison's 100 yd int return right at the half, and the aforementioned Ben to Santonio miracle in the corner of the EZ, over 3 Cardinal defenders), is MUCHMUCH more impressive than Moosh Mouth steering the wheels of one of the leeg's darling franchises.  big friggin' whooop de friggin' dooooo.

Marble Mouf is a clown show 🤡 - he'll best be remembered for tripping Jacoby Jones. 

you can have his sorry rear ... matter of fact, betting against him has made me a TON of coin, so ... yeah, hope he coaches for a looooooong time ... but plz stop defending this skooch. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
22 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

WOW!!1!!!!1!11111!!

THEY BARELY LOST??!?

AMAZING!

... oh, and care to tell me how many times a superior (double digits favorite) Teflon Tomlin led Stillers squad flat out LOST to far inferior opponents?

he's Marvin Lewis with one lucky ring, which was actually procured by Arians offensive scheme pulling off one of the greatest winning drives in SB history... matter of fact, Whisenhunt dragging the moribund/forever doormat Cards franchise there (only to lose to two of the top 10 SB plays of all time - Harrison's 100 yd int return right at the half, and the aforementioned Ben to Santonio miracle in the corner of the EZ, over 3 Cardinal defenders), is MUCHMUCH more impressive than Moosh Mouth steering the wheels of one of the leeg's darling franchises.  big friggin' whooop de friggin' dooooo.

Marble Mouf is a clown show 🤡 - he'll best be remembered for tripping Jacoby Jones. 

you can have his sorry rear ... matter of fact, betting against him has made me a TON of coin, so ... yeah, hope he coaches for a looooooong time ... but plz stop defending this skooch. 

Basically agree with this. Bill Cowher built the Steelers I remember. Tomlin has kinda coasted off of that while never accomplishing all that much on his own.

The New York Post’s Brian Costello reports Le’Veon Bell "hasn't had an impressive training camp" and doesn't look like the "centerpiece of the offense."

This isn't the first time we've heard concerns over Bell's camp struggles. Bell has been outplayed by Frank Gore and rookie La’Mical Perine, with Gore cutting into his first-team reps. It’s a bad look coming off last year’s 3.2 YPC. We think playcalling is the bigger issue with Bell, but it’s fair to question how much of a leash he has given Adam Gase’s history (traded Jay Ajayi, benched Kenyan Drake for Gore). Bell’s contract locks him in as the starter, but he may not see his 77 percent snap rate from 2019.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Basically agree with this. Bill Cowher built the Steelers I remember. Tomlin has kinda coasted off of that while never accomplishing all that much on his own.

The New York Post’s Brian Costello reports Le’Veon Bell "hasn't had an impressive training camp" and doesn't look like the "centerpiece of the offense."

This isn't the first time we've heard concerns over Bell's camp struggles. Bell has been outplayed by Frank Gore and rookie La’Mical Perine, with Gore cutting into his first-team reps. It’s a bad look coming off last year’s 3.2 YPC. We think playcalling is the bigger issue with Bell, but it’s fair to question how much of a leash he has given Adam Gase’s history (traded Jay Ajayi, benched Kenyan Drake for Gore). Bell’s contract locks him in as the starter, but he may not see his 77 percent snap rate from 2019.

I think the Chicago Bears would be a perfect fit for him as a player but the problem is his salary which makes him hard to trade.

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

This is not true at all. Cowher left an aging 8-8 team when he retired. Tomlin revamped that team and made it a champion in his 2nd year as HC. Only then did people try to say how great PIT was when Tomlin took over. He is a HOF coach who has coasted the past 5-6 years off of what he did his first 8 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

This is not true at all. Cowher left an aging 8-8 team when he retired. Tomlin revamped that team and made it a champion in his 2nd year as HC. Only then did people try to say how great PIT was when Tomlin took over. He is a HOF coach who has coasted the past 5-6 years off of what he did his first 8 years. 

In contrast to Bill Cowher, who retained only longtime running backs coach Dick Hoak from Chuck Noll's staff (Hoak himself retired just before Cowher's resignation), Tomlin did retain many of Cowher's assistants, most notably defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, whose defensive philosophy contrasted with Tomlin's. This was done in order to keep team chemistry with the players, since the team was only one year removed from a Super Bowl win at the time of Tomlin's hiring. The Steelers finished Tomlin's first season as head coach with the top-ranked defense in the NFL.[10] Tomlin led the Steelers to the 2007 AFC North Division championship and a 10–6 record in his first year as head coach. The Steelers lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Jacksonville Jaguars, 31–29. Tomlin began his career with a 15–7 record in regular season play—as did his predecessor Cowher and all-time win-leader Don Shula.[11] Tomlin set a Steelers record for most wins, after winning 22 games in his first two seasons as head coach; in addition he became the first Steelers coach to win division titles in his first two seasons.[12]

When the Steelers defeated the Baltimore Ravens in the 2008 AFC Championship Game, Mike Tomlin became the youngest NFL head coach to lead his team to a Super Bowl. He also became the third African-American to coach a team to the Super Bowl, following Chicago's Lovie Smith and Indianapolis's Tony Dungy, the two opposing coaches in Super Bowl XLI. After two seasons, with a record of 22-10, he was the winningest head coach in Steelers history based on win percentage (68.8%).[citation needed]

On January 29, 2009, Tomlin was named the 2008 Motorola NFL Coach of the Year.[13] On February 1, 2009, at age 36,

Tomlin did a lot of winning with the assistants Bill Cowher left him with, including Dick LeBeau and Bruce Arians. Nice try.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Tomlin did a lot of winning with the assistants Bill Cowher left him with, including Dick LeBeau and Bruce Arians. Nice try.

And those same assistants weren’t winning beforehand, which is why Cowher abandoned them; he thought he was leaving with PIT on the downslope. Tomlin turning them back into champions so soon changed the whole narrative. 

But nice try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, ponchsox said:

I'm calling it now, Bell will be on some waiver wires by week 4.

I think the rookie Perine could end up taking over as the lead back by the end of the season.  Bell needs a change of scenery but unfortunately his contract makes that difficult.

16 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

And those same assistants weren’t winning beforehand, which is why Cowher abandoned them; he thought he was leaving with PIT on the downslope. Tomlin turning them back into champions so soon changed the whole narrative. 

But nice try.

TOM BRADY'S EFFIN' KNEE GETTING BLOWN OUT IN THE 1ST QTR OF THE 1ST GAME OF 2008 (vs the Chiefs) CHANGED THE WHOLE NARRATIVE. 

... the only season that clown led the Stillers to SB victory - the one year Hoodie was out. 

the hallmark of Teflon Tomlin's era has been the franchise run into the ground at the hands of 3 prima donnas (Ben/AB/Bell) he let run loose - they have been an undisciplined disgrace both on and off the field. 

BUT, NICE TRY!

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
  • Like 4
17 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I think the rookie Perine could end up taking over as the lead back by the end of the season.  Bell needs a change of scenery but unfortunately his contract makes that difficult.

He just got a change of scenery. This has absolutely nothing to do with Bell but one of the biggest offensive black holes in Gase. Just look at like Drake and Parker for example. Dudes went from massive disappointments to putting up monster seasons.

I’m pretty sure if Gase is canned Bell puts up RB1 numbers again. 

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

He just got a change of scenery. This has absolutely nothing to do with Bell but one of the biggest offensive black holes in Gase. Just look at like Drake and Parker for example. Dudes went from massive disappointments to putting up monster seasons.

Exactly.  Bell needs another change of scenery because of Gase as it's obvious that he isn't going to be used right with the Jets as long as Gase is there.  

Edited by sjm76
2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Again, all facts that have been known for months. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

WOW!!1!!!!1!11111!!

THEY BARELY LOST??!?

AMAZING!

When one team has Duck Dynasty at QB and the other team has the league MVP at QB, and the Duck Dynasty team barely loses, I consider that a pretty impressive coaching feat.  Like a boxing match with one guy who has a withered arm v. a normally abled athlete, and the withered arm guy actually goes the distance and even gets in a few big shots during the middle rounds.

As for Bell, I won't be at all shocked if the Jets release him prior to this season and just accept the cap hit and pay out the guarantees to be rid of him.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

When one team has Duck Dynasty at QB and the other team has the league MVP at QB, and the Duck Dynasty team barely loses, I consider that a pretty impressive coaching feat.  Like a boxing match with one guy who has a withered arm v. a normally abled athlete, and the withered arm guy actually goes the distance and even gets in a few big shots during the middle rounds.

That’s fair...I may have been too harsh on Tomlin‘s recent coaching. Last year was easily his best coaching job since at least 2013 (when he steered a roster in free fall towards postseason contention — Bell’s rookie year in fact). To win 9 games and be a win away from the playoffs with that QB situation, Juju being exposed as not being an alpha WR, and Conner being hurt is pretty darn impressive. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, RunCMC said:

No chance Bell gets released this season, that’s just crazy talk. 

Steady stream of negative news stories re: Bell's poor camp performance and diminished role in the offense?  Check.

Jets literally trading for an additional running back even though no RBs have been injured in camp?  Check.

Bell not the type to be happy in a limited role, and very much the type to complain about it and disrupt the team?  Check.

Coach who has soured on and buried on the bench other running backs who displeased him, and were even more productive than Bell under that coach?  Check.

GM who signed Bell gone (fired almost immediately) and new GM in place who has no particular investment in this signing?  Check.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Steady stream of negative news stories re: Bell's poor camp performance and diminished role in the offense?  Check.

Jets literally trading for an additional running back even though no RBs have been injured in camp?  Check.

Bell not the type to be happy in a limited role, and very much the type to complain about it and disrupt the team?  Check.

Coach who has soured on and buried on the bench other running backs who displeased him, and were even more productive than Bell under that coach?  Check.

GM who signed Bell gone (fired almost immediately) and new GM in place who has no particular investment in this signing?  Check.

Lose 17M in dead cap if they release Bell in 2020: check.

Releasing him now would be utterly insane. Granted, that probably makes it attractive to Gase, but I still wouldn't bet on that. 

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The Jets may be trying, again, to trade Bell.  The market will be cool indeed.

But will anyone take on that ugly contract of his ? It all circles back to the point we're trying to make, same reason he won't be released. Huge dead money cap hit. Or maybe the Jets could attach a pick or two, enticing teams for a trade. I know that's done frequently in basketball , but not so sure in the NFL. 

• Like 1

Whats more likely:

1.) Gase gets fired by midseason and Bell finally starts living up to his contract under the interim HC

2.) Bell gets traded to a team that will actually use him correctly

3.) Gase and Bell both remain on the team the entire season and continue the current trajectory of mediocrity

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Whats more likely:

1.) Gase gets fired by midseason and Bell finally starts living up to his contract under the interim HC

2.) Bell gets traded to a team that will actually use him correctly

3.) Gase and Bell both remain on the team the entire season and continue the current trajectory of mediocrity

1) Most possible scenario. I can see this getting ugly really fast for the Jets. It’s very possible they start out 0-9, & Gase should be fired by Week 5 because the fans & media outrage at this point will be deafening

2) Probably not gonna happen. It’s gonna be almost impossible for them to trade Bell with that contract

3) This probably won’t happen either, simply because Gase is an idiot with his infatuation with Gore

Edited by lvsaint429
  • Like 2
19 minutes ago, Gmen07 said:

Perine just went down with an ankle injury. He’s scheduled to get an mri soon. 

Gase must be upset his go-to RB is down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic
  • tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic
  • tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic