NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2020 Outlook

2 hours ago, JetsAwesome said:

Hey man if you don't think Bell is that good that's like your opinion man - you can believe whatever you want. You keeping say decent and not bad - damning with faint praise. 

You clearly dont think he's good since you mentioned people like Deangelo Williams and jag James Conner as your counterpoint to Bell's production in Pitt.

And if you think Zeke who's been on a top5 oline his entire career would flourish on Jets or Giants with awful qb's and horrible olines then i don't know what to tell you

I've never said he's not good. I said he is not the elite RB he has been touted as. Yes, I believe Zeke would do much better on the Jets or Giants than Bell would. I don't think anyone would disagree with me. You can't have Bell's "patient, vision" style of play behind lines that leak like the Chiefs' line has as of late, or on teams without anyone else to draw attention away from. His style and situation dictates his success. Elite talent overcomes this. He doesn't, and it's proven by his stint with the Jets.

It's only going to be rougher with the Chiefs. Our line is decimated. There is going to be no time for him to stand back there and wait for the hole to open up. CEH is bouncing off two guys at times behind the line of scrimmage and fighting to gain 1-2 and it's easier for him to find holes than it is Bell. CEH is so compact and has such a great center of gravity. 

I hope I'm wrong, Bell becomes a superstar again on this team (even if it ruins my CEH pick) and the Chiefs win another SuperBowl. I just don't see ANY evidence that this is the right place/right time for Bell and actually think his "patient, vision" style of play is a liability with this line. 

But I guess we'll see. I'm interested in your analysis of his fit on the Chiefs offense since you seem to clearly think I'm wrong. You must have some evidence to support it. And saying Bell was good 3 years ago is not enough.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone that doesn't have Dolphins, Chiefs or Bills RBs

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, tschwicht said:

You have to mention Gase, but the point still stands an elite back produces even in the worst of teams/situations.

The Giants are a dumpster fire this year and no one was shying away from Saquon because it doesn't matter with him (if he could stay on the field). The Vikings aren't tearing it up right now, but Cook if he can get healthy again is looking like top 3 for the year.  And the CMC battle going on in this thread.. look at Carolina.

Then compare that to Bell on a team with Ben at QB, prime Antonio Brown, good line etc.. That's a BIG difference. And you can mention Gase, and that's fair, but you can't look at Conner/D-Will and not say, how much does the situation really play into his success.

I'm not saying Bell is bad and you surely know by now I'm happy to have him on the Chiefs. I just think his elite talent was overblown. By how much was it overblown is hard to say, but the best way to gauge is put him on another offense. And we've seen how that worked out.

Would you say the Chiefs are closer to the Killer B era Steelers or the Gase Jets?  

31 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Would you say the Chiefs are closer to the Killer B era Steelers or the Gase Jets?  

Obviously the offensive skill position players are head and shoulders above the Gase Jets, and probably that era of Steelers as well. But the Steelers would win out the comparison there.

The Chiefs' line is probably worse than both teams. So I would say the opportunity for Bell as a RB is probably closer to the Gase Jets because of the current line alone. Normally all the playmakers on the Chiefs should open it up for the RB but I just don't see it as the case here (as has been shown). There is obviously a stark contrast between those two offenses overall though.

Again, none of us know. Like I said before, maybe Reid will use Bell like he SHOULD be using CEH more, getting the ball out quick in some dump offs while scheming to get the RB into some open space to work. 

The real intrigue for me is if he starts lining Bell up in the slot or outside though. He has put CEH there a few times as well but it's not designed for him often. I could see Bell having an awesome RB/WR hybrid type role that really works out. I just don't think giving Bell a ton of carries behind this line is going to pay dividends for him with his running style.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, tschwicht said:

Obviously the offensive skill position players are head and shoulders above the Gase Jets, and probably that era of Steelers as well. But the Steelers would win out the comparison there.

The Chiefs' line is probably worse than both teams. So I would say the opportunity for Bell as a RB is probably closer to the Gase Jets because of the current line alone. Normally all the playmakers on the Chiefs should open it up for the RB but I just don't see it as the case here (as has been shown). There is obviously a stark contrast between those two offenses overall though.

Again, none of us know. Like I said before, maybe Reid will use Bell like he SHOULD be using CEH more, getting the ball out quick in some dump offs while scheming to get the RB into some open space to work. 

The real intrigue for me is if he starts lining Bell up in the slot or outside though. He has put CEH there a few times as well but it's not designed for him often. I could see Bell having an awesome RB/WR hybrid type role that really works out. I just don't think giving Bell a ton of carries behind this line is going to pay dividends for him with his running style.

Right on.  Appreciate the banter my man.   Good points.  

• Like 1

Interesting game.   Buffalo had a strategy in mind that allowed the Kc run game to chew up ground and clock.   The raiders spy zone was much more effective than the Bills heavy combo coverage.  When you give Mahomes consistent second/third and shorts-  easy pickings.  And your defense gets gassed.   Great news if you own a KC back-  and why you can’t judge a season based on 5 games.    Defenses adjust and experiment. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gotamancrushontombrady said:

Except the bench on 3rd & 5 and, more importantly, 1st & goal

i mean he was already out on 3rd downs and got nothing around the GL. So basically Bell is Darrel Williams now. I’m not too excited about it.

43 minutes ago, cheezor42 said:

i mean he was already out on 3rd downs and got nothing around the GL. So basically Bell is Darrel Williams now. I’m not too excited about it.

Do you honestly expect Reid to use the two in the exact same fashion? 

7 minutes ago, PrestigeWW said:

Do you honestly expect Reid to use the two in the exact same fashion? 

Wouldn’t be shocked honestly, if the work bell gets is 3rd down and some goal line.  

If he gets drives to himself or gets split out wide along CEH then maybe you’re looking at something.  But I think Bell is pretty toast as a runner and will fill in better as a 3rd down and GL back for them + depth.

9 minutes ago, cheezor42 said:

Wouldn’t be shocked honestly, if the work bell gets is 3rd down and some goal line.  

If he gets drives to himself or gets split out wide along CEH then maybe you’re looking at something.  But I think Bell is pretty toast as a runner and will fill in better as a 3rd down and GL back for them + depth.

I guess we'll find out soon enough, but agree to disagree. I don't think Bell is the runner that CEH is by any means, but he's miles ahead of the rest of the guys in that position group. The fact that Bell is exceptional in pass pro whereas CEH simply isn't trusted to do it at this point will lead to Bell being on the field more in high leverage situations. Bell gives them a reasonable happy medium between the rest of the backs on that roster, while easily being the most accomplished route runner.

10 minutes ago, PrestigeWW said:

I guess we'll find out soon enough, but agree to disagree. I don't think Bell is the runner that CEH is by any means, but he's miles ahead of the rest of the guys in that position group. The fact that Bell is exceptional in pass pro whereas CEH simply isn't trusted to do it at this point will lead to Bell being on the field more in high leverage situations. Bell gives them a reasonable happy medium between the rest of the backs on that roster, while easily being the most accomplished route runner.

I’m not even disagreeing with you really, I just don’t think he turns the Darrel Williams work (3rd down with some other odds and ends mixed in) into a fantasy goldmine is all. Unless I’m not understanding you and you think he’s going to take work from CEH between the 20s. I don’t see him taking too much there.  He probably is a decent flex and CEH is a Middle to low end RB2.  I just don’t see him chasing CEH out of his current role between the 20s.  Let’s see how it goes.

4 minutes ago, cheezor42 said:

I’m not even disagreeing with you really, I just don’t think he turns the Darrel Williams work (3rd down with some other odds and ends mixed in) into a fantasy goldmine is all. Unless I’m not understanding you and you think he’s going to take work from CEH between the 20s. I don’t see him taking too much there.  He probably is a decent flex and CEH is a Middle to low end RB2.  I just don’t see him chasing CEH out of his current role between the 20s.  Let’s see how it goes.

Fair. I guess I could've elaborated more. I see Bell getting run in the 2 minute drill in addition to third down and redzone looks with some time in the slot as well. I think there will be plenty of times where both Bell and CEH are on the field and that ultimately CEH will benefit overall. I just don't see Bell as a direct replacement for Williams.

I think he's still good enough of a runner that his presence in a single back set doesn't tip off the plan automatically.  Add in his receiving and pass pro skills and you can see why Reid might be excited to have him.  If he gets holes like CEH got last night, he'll make something happen with those opportunities.  I don't think this is another McCoy situation. 

24 minutes ago, PrestigeWW said:

Fair. I guess I could've elaborated more. I see Bell getting run in the 2 minute drill in addition to third down and redzone looks with some time in the slot as well. I think there will be plenty of times where both Bell and CEH are on the field and that ultimately CEH will benefit overall. I just don't see Bell as a direct replacement for Williams.

Bell is not a direct replacement for Williams.  He will definitely consume all the playing time that Darrel and Darwin had, but he will do more.  He's going to cut into CEH's work unless he really flops.

This is a really nice get for the Chiefs, assuming Bell is not completely washed up.  He gives them another threat out of the backfield, much much better injury protection, and at a minimum, a premium 3rd down back who is maybe a bigger threat as a receiver than as a runner.  Between the 20's, he should get some opportunity too.

IMO, it's not going to be that well defined either.  I think both backs will be in there in all situations, rather than "he's the 3rd down back or GLB".  But they will probably lean more on Bell on 3rd downs, for example.

The best parallel would be Chubb / Hunt, with CEH = Chubb to start.  CEH should get more carries and Bell should get more receiving opportunities.  From there, it will be about performance.

Every pro that you hear talk about lev bell talks about him as a stud.  Everyone sympathizes with his time in ny.  I have yet to hear anyone call him washed, it only comes from fantasy forums and upset fanatics. He is 28 down 15 pounds from his playing weight in pittsburgh, and looks cut up.  Could he have lost a step sure, but they are already merchandising for him like he’s going to be a stud, there’s no way he doesn’t make some kind of splash.  Whether it’s having lots of slot play with ceh still on the field or two back sets this offense is going to eat and do sprints up and down the field

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, TeeGee60 said:

Every pro that you hear talk about lev bell talks about him as a stud.  Everyone sympathizes with his time in ny.  I have yet to hear anyone call him washed, it only comes from fantasy forums and upset fanatics. He is 28 down 15 pounds from his playing weight in pittsburgh, and looks cut up.  Could he have lost a step sure, but they are already merchandising for him like he’s going to be a stud, there’s no way he doesn’t make some kind of splash.  Whether it’s having lots of slot play with ceh still on the field or two back sets this offense is going to eat and do sprints up and down the field

If that OL makes holes like they did last night, Bell could speed walk through them and get plenty of yards. People who are saying Bell is washed are idiots. 

Edited by noles1983
  • Thanks 2