NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2020 Outlook

2 minutes ago, SpartanEric said:

Not sure why you’re assuming he’s getting all the GL work. Hopefully he takes 3rd downs. 

I think it's a pretty safe assumption considering how dreadful CEH has been in goal line situations. Someone linked this in the CEH thread, but it's pretty apt here too when predicting Bell's usage: 

image.png.07ea8f6293cbc91a10783694760430

They tried some goal line plays for CEH, he got stuffed, he's 5'7", that's not his optimal spot. From then on it's become a pretty clear trend that they don't design redzone plays around him. Now this could be that they just don't like designing redzone RB plays in general, but I think it's more playing to the strength of their back.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone that doesn't have Dolphins, Chiefs or Bills RBs

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Bell is not a direct replacement for Williams.  He will definitely consume all the playing time that Darrel and Darwin had, but he will do more.  He's going to cut into CEH's work unless he really flops.

This is a really nice get for the Chiefs, assuming Bell is not completely washed up.  He gives them another threat out of the backfield, much much better injury protection, and at a minimum, a premium 3rd down back who is maybe a bigger threat as a receiver than as a runner.  Between the 20's, he should get some opportunity too.

IMO, it's not going to be that well defined either.  I think both backs will be in there in all situations, rather than "he's the 3rd down back or GLB".  But they will probably lean more on Bell on 3rd downs, for example.

The best parallel would be Chubb / Hunt, with CEH = Chubb to start.  CEH should get more carries and Bell should get more receiving opportunities.  From there, it will be about performance.

I agree with a lot of that, although I don't think they'll run enough to be Chubb/ Hunt part deux. I do think that Bell's pass protection skills are going to get him on the field a lot more than people realize. CEH is a lot of things, but trusted in pass pro he is not. Bell allows them to audible more freely at the line.

15 minutes ago, harck said:

I think it's a pretty safe assumption considering how dreadful CEH has been in goal line situations. Someone linked this in the CEH thread, but it's pretty apt here too when predicting Bell's usage: 

They tried some goal line plays for CEH, he got stuffed, he's 5'7", that's not his optimal spot. From then on it's become a pretty clear trend that they don't design redzone plays around him. Now this could be that they just don't like designing redzone RB plays in general, but I think it's more playing to the strength of their back.

I’m curious how many of those are Mahomes runs because I don’t think Darrell has even been given many goal line/red zone carries himself.

On 10/17/2020 at 5:59 PM, Gohawks said:

Bell had a season with 2,215 yards and two more where he was damn near 2,000. Conner hasn't broke 1,500 yet. If we take it on a YPG basis since he got hurt he still doesn't even sniff Bells top 3 seasons in terms of yardage. The year Bell served his suspension he was on a pace for over 2,500 yards. Last year people were acting like CMC is some MVP candidate and even he was over 100 yards short of that pace. 

I have no idea what leads people to be so salty about Bell but frankly it is damn disrespectful in terms of some things that are said about him. Before going to one of the worst coaches in the NFL Bell was the best skills position player in the entire NFL. 

What CMC did last season with a middling (at best) offensive line and Kyle Allen at QB was far more impressive then anything Le'veon Bell has ever done to me. He maintained his efficiency week in week out despite getting 8 and 9 man boxes thrown at him. Le'veon Bell was great in Pittsburgh but he ran behind one of the great lines of the time and played alongside a hall of fame QB and one of the greatest receivers of all time. His job was much easier. And as far as James Conner goes in 2018 he graded out wayyy better then Le'veon Bell's 2017. Conner graded out far more elusive and broke far more tackles and averaged way more yards after contact. You can call him a JAG all you want but the underlying numbers suggest he's probably as talented a runner as Le'veon Bell. He isn't the receiver or overall player I'd say but he deserves a lot more credit then he's being given here. I don't think you were the one who called him a JAG but I saw it said a couple of times and that isn't true.

• Like 1

CEH has had pretty bad luck near the goalline as well with penalties etc. waiving off TD's. either way, leaving jets is the best possible outcome for his value. he'll probably do much better than mccoy last season.

11 minutes ago, Heizz said:

Anyone considering flexing this week? My options are limited with byes.

in a pinch you can do worse.....   but still not a great option.  Bad weather and snow expected in Denver Sunday.  And Bell may or may not get a decent complement of snaps.  Plus the Denver D is no joke.   They played Titans and Steelers tough to the wire, only surrendering 16 and 26 pts.  28 is the most they’ve allowed all season.  

Chiefs get the Jets next week-  that’s when he becomes real interesting.  

Edited by Impreza178
19 hours ago, harck said:

Don't agree.  He's fine as a GL back.  He was excellent at LSU with this, plus vision.  

He got 5 chances in week 1, everyone in the world knew they were running, and Reid was just happy to see the clock tick down.  

The problem he has right now is that whenever he's in there, they assume it's a run play, so it's been all gadget plays.  KC tends to do this.  

And he's had 2 TD's called back in consecutive weeks to bogus calls.  

I'm sure they will give Bell some cracks at it (especially on 3rd down) but I doubt CEH is going to be completely phased out.  

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Armed_Rodgery said:

I have no choice but to load him in as my RB2 this week with bye's and other injuries. I know it's a long shot but I'm hoping for a strong return and outing! A 12/68/1 stat line would be perfect

He joins the team on Wednesday, so that's like 3 practices before his first game.  Very much doubt he does much, but stranger things have happened.

Speaking Wednesday, coach Andy Reid said he wasn't sure if Le'Veon Bell will even be active for Week 7 against the Broncos.

It would be good news for Clyde Edwards-Helaire's fantasy prospects with the Chiefs as heavy 10.5-point road favorites. CEH is coming off a 161-yard rushing effort against Buffalo and might be able to squeak out one more lock-and-load RB1 week out of things if Bell is unable to pick up the offense in time to play Sunday. Reid said Bell's Week 7 status will all depend on how comfortable he is with the playbook.

Mid-season team changes rarely work out well.  Ajayi from Miami to the Eagles in 2017 is the last one I can remember.  It worked out for the team but just okay for the player iirc.

2 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

So he will be active and get all the snaps. 

That's a Bell homer for you.  No matter how bad the news, it is always somehow good news.

13 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Mid-season team changes rarely work out well.  Ajayi from Miami to the Eagles in 2017 is the last one I can remember.  It worked out for the team but just okay for the player iirc.

Drake

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

39 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Good one.  Forgot about him.  That worked out REALLY well.

... another product of Gase...

• Like 1