NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2020 Outlook

2 hours ago, SpartanEric said:

Don't agree.  He's fine as a GL back.  He was excellent at LSU with this, plus vision.  

He got 5 chances in week 1, everyone in the world knew they were running, and Reid was just happy to see the clock tick down.  

The problem he has right now is that whenever he's in there, they assume it's a run play, so it's been all gadget plays.  KC tends to do this.  

And he's had 2 TD's called back in consecutive weeks to bogus calls.  

I'm sure they will give Bell some cracks at it (especially on 3rd down) but I doubt CEH is going to be completely phased out.  

You're not wrong on most of your points, but the reason for all the gadget plays at the GL is because if they call a run play with CEH and they stack the box, they don't trust CEH in pass protection enough to check out of the play into a pass.

I don't look at this as a CEH failing by any means - there aren't a ton of rookies that come into the league that are competent at it. I'm sure he'll improve over time, but at least right now, there is no comparison between him and Bell in pass pro. It's the main reason I expect Bell to be in there more often than not in go to go situations. I don't think ability as a runner will be a primary consideration.

Edited by PrestigeWW
  • Like 1
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone that doesn't have Dolphins, Chiefs or Bills RBs

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Drake

57 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Good one.  Forgot about him.  That worked out REALLY well.

that was a case of both rbs (DJ/Edmonds) being injured at the time.  

19 minutes ago, TheDude4bides said:

... another product of Gase...

... and, because of that, Drake did not have a ton of work - whereas Bell has logged an insane amount of touches over his career.

so, yes - in principle Drake is similar in aspect (midseason trade) - but the peripherals are actually miles apart. 

23 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

... and, because of that, Drake did not have a ton of work - whereas Bell has logged an insane amount of touches over his career.

so, yes - in principle Drake is similar in aspect (midseason trade) - but the peripherals are actually miles apart. 

I would say that for KC 2020, Le'Veon Bell is the David Johnson, CEH is the Kenyan Drake, and Darrell is the Chase Edmonds (might have one great game when everyone else is hurt).

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I would say that for KC 2020, Le'Veon Bell is the David Johnson, CEH is the Kenyan Drake, and Darrell is the Chase Edmonds (might have one great game when everyone else is hurt).

You've come a long way on Bell in a short time. I look forward to your contributions when he inevitably goes 70 rushing/ 65 rec/ 2TDs against his old team in a week and a half.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

That's what you think. 

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

so, yes - in principle Drake is similar in aspect (midseason trade) - but the peripherals are actually miles apart

Yeah Bell was the best RB in football before Gase

• Haha 1
On 10/20/2020 at 10:39 PM, noles1983 said:

If that OL makes holes like they did last night, Bell could speed walk through them and get plenty of yards. People who are saying Bell is washed are idiots. 

If.
But the Bills decided to go with a D that prevents the deep passing game, and that is perfect for a running game.
Mahomes attempted 2 (!) deep passes, and those came in the 4th quarter.with 5 minutes left to play. And the first one wasn't really deep at all. a 20 yarder down the middle to wide open Kelce. The other was a broken play.
So it was the Bills gameplan that allowed the Chiefs OL to make holes.

Edited by JCD
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, PrestigeWW said:

You've come a long way on Bell in a short time. I look forward to your contributions when he inevitably goes 70 rushing/ 65 rec/ 2TDs against his old team in a week and a half.

Saying that 2020 Bell is 2019 David Johnson is not a long way off from my long-time position on Bell.  It is not even on the next block.  More like a few houses down.

19 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Saying that 2020 Bell is 2019 David Johnson is not a long way off from my long-time position on Bell.  It is not even on the next block.  More like a few houses down.

"Let me break this down for you:

If a player cannot cut it with the worst team in pro football because he plays poorly on the field and is a turd off the field, he does not get to then go to a better team and get another chance to show his skills."

- You, 10/13

Edited by PrestigeWW
  • Haha 8

You are assuming that being the 5th or 6th wheel on the Chiefs will be better for Bell than being the main man on the Jets.  And Bell already lost his week 6 game entirely, and Reid now says, sensibly, that Bell may be inactive week 7.

Are you sure you want to declare victory on this one before Bell has even been in a football uniform on game day for his new team?

Also, the Chiefs are paying Bell $690,000 for his services this year.  What does that tell you about the value they are assigning to him and the role they have in mind?  

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

You are assuming that being the 5th or 6th wheel on the Chiefs will be better for Bell than being the main man on the Jets.  And Bell already lost his week 6 game entirely, and Reid now says, sensibly, that Bell may be inactive week 7.

Are you sure you want to declare victory on this one before Bell has even been in a football uniform on game day for his new team?

Also, the Chiefs are paying Bell $690,000 for his services this year.  What does that tell you about the value they are assigning to him and the role they have in mind?  

I’m not ready to put any big investments on bell yet, but it seems like you saw what zeke looks like behind a jets-like offensive line on Monday.  Holy non-spectacular.  Sure doesn’t look as elite as you said he would, is the coaching of McCarthy worse than gase too?

Edited by TeeGee60
38 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

5th or 6th wheel?

Hill

Kelce

CEH

??? Then who? Suggesting he would be behind Watkins who's always hurt and who Hardman or Robinson??? No way.

• Thanks 2

Chiefs pecking order:

1)  The big dog himself, running, passing, hero-balling down the field.  Mr. Patrick Mahomes.

2)  First Team All-Pro TE Travis Kelce.

3)  CEH.  161 yards rushing?  Thank yew.

4)  Tyreek Hill.  Jet sweeps.  Deep balls.  Slants taken to the house.

5)  Hmmm...Watkins when healthy.

6)  RB grab bag (Darrel, Le'Veon, Darwin, Duane Washington)

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I dont think the salary matters at all.  A lot of that cheap price tag is because he's still getting paid 6 mil from the Jets.  Gives him the luxury of playing for way less money on a contender.

All that matters is whether he performs.  He has looked not great as a runner but good as a receiver so I think he will have a change of pace role to start and then who knows what will happen.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Chiefs pecking order:

1)  The big dog himself, running, passing, hero-balling down the field.  Mr. Patrick Mahomes.

2)  First Team All-Pro TE Travis Kelce.

3)  CEH.  161 yards rushing?  Thank yew.

4)  Tyreek Hill.  Jet sweeps.  Deep balls.  Slants taken to the house.

5)  Hmmm...Watkins when healthy.

6)  RB grab bag (Darrel, Le'Veon, Darwin, Duane Washington)

Mahomes doesn't count.  You're just making chit up.  In your initial statement, you embellished.  Just admit it, and move on.

1 minute ago, Goatstain3 said:

Mahomes doesn't count.  You're just making chit up.  In your initial statement, you embellished.  Just admit it, and move on.

Hill, CEH, and Kelce are clearly ahead of Bell.  I agree Mahomes doesn't count.  Fourth is Watkins or Bell, but there's an argument that it is Watkins.  We don't even know what Bell's role is and assuming CEH maintains the lead role in the backfield, there's not that much opportunity left for Bell.  The only way he is higher is if he actually beats out CEH and is the primary guy, which is very much in doubt that he can do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

Mahomes doesn't count. 

When analyzing the typical NFL team, I would agree.  But when it comes to this player, Mahomes truly is no. 1.  His dynamic playmaking ability is a factor at all times, red zone, third down, fourth down, you name it.

1 hour ago, kp96 said:

I dont think the salary matters at all.  A lot of that cheap price tag is because he's still getting paid 6 mil from the Jets.  Gives him the luxury of playing for way less money on a contender.

All that matters is whether he performs.  He has looked not great as a runner but good as a receiver so I think he will have a change of pace role to start and then who knows what will happen.

You Bell people could learn that he tragically passed away and still somehow spin it as a positive.  

"He will be pretty much impossible to tackle, now," you'll say.

• Haha 2
Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

You Bell people could learn that he tragically passed away and still somehow spin it as a positive.  

"He will be pretty much impossible to tackle, now," you'll say.

Like it’s cool, he burned you in the past but you own zero shares of him. Why are you still here?  I wouldn’t ask a vegan what the best cut of meat is. Nobody cares about your take.  Your warning has been headed. Give it a rest

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, TeeGee60 said:

Like it’s cool, he burned you in the past but you own zero shares of him. Why are you still here?  I wouldn’t ask a vegan what the best cut of meat is. Nobody cares about your take.  Your warning has been headed. Give it a rest

Never had Bell on any fantasy team, ever.  I have profited on betting against him, at every turn, for the last several years, though.

I am here because I like talking football.  I did not realize this thread was closed to everyone except those who believe that Bell will conquer.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Never had Bell on any fantasy team, ever.  I have profited on betting against him, at every turn, for the last several years, though.

I am here because I like talking football.  I did not realize this thread was closed to everyone except those who believe that Bell will conquer.

Says the guy at the hot crap table betting the don’t pass line all night and explaining his rationale.  Personally I don’t care that you’re here and “talking football” but you just sound jaded and keep saying the same thing.  So even if he is the next mccoy then fine, but keep the chat for at least updates and new takes on the outlook, it’s been pretty redundant

Well to be fair there was a RW update today (Reid's quote about how Bell would possibly be inactive in week 7) and after that it was mostly responding to stuff.

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30162604/leveon-bell-chance-reinvent-kansas-city-chiefs

Key excerpt from Mahomes:

Mahomes, the reigning Super Bowl MVP, said he was eager for Bell to get into a game, particularly for what he can do for the Chiefs as a receiver.

"He's a mismatch coming out of the backfield," Mahomes said. "The way he's able to run routes, the way he's able to split out and basically be a receiver out there is pretty special. He's going to get a lot of matchups I don't think he's had recently with a lot of linebackers on him, and I'm sure he's pretty excited about that."

Sure sounds like a guy that will have designated consistent role - he might even play with CEH a fair amount.

Edited by JetsAwesome
  • Like 1