NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2020 Outlook

I think he’s going to get more work than people think in the Super Bowl. Kansas City’s offensive line is absolutely decimated and Bell is the most experienced back on their roster when it comes to pass protection. Mahomes’ toe still isn’t 100% either which means he won’t be as mobile as he normally is. They are going to need to try and protect him as much as they can because that Bucs pass rush is no joke.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone that doesn't have Dolphins, Chiefs or Bills RBs

Posted Images

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Le'Veon Bell said he signed with the Chiefs in October because he wouldn't get a significant workload. 

Bell said he seriously considered signing with the Dolphins but wanted "to go somewhere where I can still have my body and still help the team win." In Miami, Bell figured he'd see far more touches than in KC's loaded offense. "That’s what separated the Dolphins and the Chiefs. I felt like if I went to the Dolphins, I would have done a little more," Bell added. "It’s hard even trying to explain it. But it was real close between the Dolphins, Bills and Chiefs.” It's a revealing comment -- one that shows an abnormal sense of how much work the aging running back can handle. In KC, Bell has started two games and rushed for 254 yards and two touchdowns on 64 carries. He'll be third in the team's backfield pecking order this Sunday against Tampa. 

After all the pages dedicated to this discussion in this and the MEH thread:

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47rsqc3yrkxa7hfwyfc6y

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Dislimb said:

I think he’s going to get more work than people think in the Super Bowl. Kansas City’s offensive line is absolutely decimated and Bell is the most experienced back on their roster when it comes to pass protection. Mahomes’ toe still isn’t 100% either which means he won’t be as mobile as he normally is. They are going to need to try and protect him as much as they can because that Bucs pass rush is no joke.

Still keeping the faith, eh?  I have to hand it to you: you do no not give up easily.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Still keeping the faith, eh?  I have to hand it to you: you do no not give up easily.

Huh? I drafted CEH in the first round of my biggest league this year and started him each and every week he was healthy. I rostered Bell but never started him. I also don’t think I’ve posted in this thread since early October (four months ago) either, but okay? 🤷🏻‍♂️

EDIT- And by saying “more work” in this particular game, I’m strictly talking snap share. No running back on Kansas City is going to go off running the ball against Tampa Bay’s defense. Not happening. KC’s offensive line is down to a JAG and four backups. They don’t like to keep a RB in for pass protection very much, but they might have to more often in this particular game otherwise Mahomes might be in big trouble, that’s all.

Edited by Dislimb
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Bell said he seriously considered signing with the Dolphins but wanted "to go somewhere where I can still have my body and still help the team win." (...) It's a revealing comment -- one that shows an abnormal sense of how much work the aging running back can handle.

It's another sign of how brutal the NFL is to RBs, and especially bellcows.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Le'Veon Bell said he signed with the Chiefs in October because he wouldn't get a significant workload. 

Everyone needs a friend to tell them when he should keep an idea to himself. 

Bell clearly didn't run this by a qualified filter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, Dislimb said:

Huh? I drafted CEH in the first round of my biggest league this year and started him each and every week he was healthy. I rostered Bell but never started him. I also don’t think I’ve posted in this thread since early October (four months ago) either, but okay? 🤷🏻‍♂️

EDIT- And by saying “more work” in this particular game, I’m strictly talking snap share. No running back on Kansas City is going to go off running the ball against Tampa Bay’s defense. Not happening. KC’s offensive line is down to a JAG and four backups. They don’t like to keep a RB in for pass protection very much, but they might have to more often in this particular game otherwise Mahomes might be in big trouble, that’s all.

If Bell got anymore than 4-5 touches I’d be shocked. Bell is beyond awful and he’s been this way for 2 years already. Darell and CEH can more than handle the load this weekend. 

Bell getting touches are simply wasted plays. 

7 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Everyone needs a friend to tell them when he should keep an idea to himself. 

Bell clearly didn't run this by a qualified filter.

Any team that hires him in the future will now do this for limited yardage (and limited money). What if this is exactly what he wanted?

He's not the first guy to say he can't take the onslaught anymore and with his body of work, I think we should respect that, or at least acknowledge it. There's a reason many smart teams go RBBC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Any team that hires him in the future will now do this for limited yardage (and limited money). What if this is exactly what he wanted?

He's not the first guy to say he can't take the onslaught anymore and with his body of work, I think we should respect that, or at least acknowledge it. There's a reason many smart teams go RBBC.

And there are younger and more dynamic backs available to help build a running back by committee if that is the desire.

• Like 1
On 2/2/2021 at 8:14 PM, Boudewijn said:

The $27M guaranteed from the Jets has clearly "re-aligned" his personal goals. I'm sure he'd be happy at this point to play 1-year contracts with near-minimum deals with some incentives to be "quality depth" for the next couple years, pad his stats a bit and land safely. It's disappointing from my perspective - but this is what happens w/RBs. 

On 2/3/2021 at 6:23 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

And there are younger and more dynamic backs available to help build a running back by committee if that is the desire.

No doubt about that. Aside from all I posted above - he just looks spent. And maybe that explains everything.

Steelers look damn smart to have played "hardball" - they're the "winner" here.

Edited by SuperJoint
  • Thanks 2
14 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

The $27M guaranteed from the Jets has clearly "re-aligned" his personal goals. I'm sure he'd be happy at this point to play 1-year contracts with near-minimum deals with some incentives to be "quality depth" for the next couple years, pad his stats a bit and land safely. It's disappointing from my perspective - but this is what happens w/RBs. 

No doubt about that. Aside from all I posted above - he just looks spent. And maybe that explains everything.

I dunno.  If he was really just happy to be paid and no longer gave a s*** then why not stay with the Jets?  East coast, can party, etc.  The team is terrible anyway.  Plus he came into the season in great shape.  I think he wanted to be a good player this year.  It's more likely that his body just didn't cooperate.

56 minutes ago, kp96 said:

I dunno.  If he was really just happy to be paid and no longer gave a s*** then why not stay with the Jets?  East coast, can party, etc.  The team is terrible anyway.  Plus he came into the season in great shape.  I think he wanted to be a good player this year.  It's more likely that his body just didn't cooperate.

Because he wants to win a SB?

“I [was] always envisioning that I would be in the game,” Bell told reporters Tuesday. “So now that I'm eight years into the league and I finally got here, it's like a dream come true.”

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Because he wants to win a SB?

“I [was] always envisioning that I would be in the game,” Bell told reporters Tuesday. “So now that I'm eight years into the league and I finally got here, it's like a dream come true.”

Right.  I'm just countering the argument that he is apathetic after getting paid.  That's all.  I don't disagree with you.  I think he cares for a number of reasons.

I think Bell might be disappointed in his role on Sunday though.

• Thanks 1

Hhah, so much for taking a discount to take a ring, this guy is way past his prime, fun fact, leasean mccoy has won two superbolws back to back, thats how u chase rings, follow brady, not cheeseburger in paradise

Edited by 1972Miamidolphins
On 2/4/2021 at 6:51 PM, SuperJoint said:

Agreed, its now a proven fact to not pay a rb massive contracts, sad but true. Rbs are so replacable in this new league

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Agreed, its now a proven fact to not pay a rb massive contracts, sad but true. Rbs are so replacable in this new league

It’s a sad product of the salary cap - why even have one?  If these multi-millionaires want to spend more money on their team, let them - it’s not as if they’re cash-strapped or something.

1 hour ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Eh I still think the Kamaras and CMCs of the world are worth their second contracts for teams that already have an established franchise QB. 

31 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Eh I still think the Kamaras and CMCs of the world are worth their second contracts for teams that already have an established franchise QB. 

Unlike Kamara’s and CMC’s respective teams?

Who just won the Superbowl?  A team with a couple of scrap heap vets (Playoff Lenny, Shady), a rookie (Vaughn) and a young buck still on his rookie deal (Ronald Jones).  

That's the way to do it.  Not giving a huge salary to a running back.

Bell's Jets deal was a huge mistake and the GM who signed it was fired soon after and has not resurfaced.

Now it is looking iffy to me whether Le'Veon Bell will be in the league in 2021.

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Unlike Kamara’s and CMC’s respective teams?

I think it was a good signing for the Saints despite Brees steep decline. I thought it was decent for the Panthers until I saw Teddy B actually play lol. 

11 minutes ago, sSektor said:

I think it was a good signing for the Saints despite Brees steep decline. I thought it was decent for the Panthers until I saw Teddy B actually play lol. 

Ha!  I take your point - I think the Henry contract was the best (and perhaps only) example of a situation warranting an expensive second contract in recent years.

20 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Now it is looking iffy to me whether Le'Veon Bell will be in the league in 2021.

Depends on how much of a pay cut he's willing to accept in an attempt to win a ring.  Someone will sign him if he cares to play, if nothing else as a depth piece or to replace an injured player (see Frank Gore).  It's pretty obvious that he's a longshot to be a featured back, even for a single game or two as a fill-in.  Although from his own words, it doesn't really sound like he has a lot of desire to be the featured back for a team at this point anyway.

Just now, jumper said:

Depends on how much of a pay cut he's willing to accept in an attempt to win a ring.  Someone will sign him if he cares to play, if nothing else as a depth piece or to replace an injured player (see Frank Gore).  It's pretty obvious that he's a longshot to be a featured back, even for a single game or two as a fill-in.  Although from his own words, it doesn't really sound like he has a lot of desire to be the featured back for a team at this point anyway.

IMO he was saving face.  Being paid as highly as he is and demanding a trade, it had to be a big blow to his ego that he couldn't be the starter.  This is a former All Pro that can't beat out Darrel Williams for the change of pace role.  It must have been embarrassing and he was just saying that to make people think he is ok with not seeing the field.

He probably wants to be the guy still.  27 is not that old...old for a RB sure but not that old.  He likely still wants to play and I doubt he wants to go out like this.

4 hours ago, kp96 said:

IMO he was saving face.  Being paid as highly as he is and demanding a trade, it had to be a big blow to his ego that he couldn't be the starter.  This is a former All Pro that can't beat out Darrel Williams for the change of pace role.  It must have been embarrassing and he was just saying that to make people think he is ok with not seeing the field.

He probably wants to be the guy still.  27 is not that old...old for a RB sure but not that old.  He likely still wants to play and I doubt he wants to go out like this.

Bell is 29 in human years and appears to be about 49 in running back years.