Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, sSektor said:

While I do think Tennessee's weapons would increase Brady's passing stats I still think Henry will be the major redzone option on the team if he stays. Brady has never been one to force passing at the goalline when there is a competent (or in Henry's case elite) goalline rushing option. If you thought 2016 Blount was a goalline TD magnet then Henry could easily take that to the next level with Brady under center.

Agreed on your point about Henry as the main GL option in that scenario.  Maybe I’m still unclear on what you mean by an increase in Brady’s passing stats, though - do you imagine Brady would again attempt over 600 passes were he on the Titans?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A moment of your time sir please fill out this form!

Posted Images

3 hours ago, BMcP said:

Agreed on your point about Henry as the main GL option in that scenario.  Maybe I’m still unclear on what you mean by an increase in Brady’s passing stats, though - do you imagine Brady would again attempt over 600 passes were he on the Titans?

 

I think he'll be extremely efficient with the pass catching weapon upgrades. The threat of Henry running over the defense will make passing that much easier. Maybe not an MVP caliber boost but I could see him easily getting back up to around 4,500 yards and 35ish TDs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, sSektor said:

 

I think he'll be extremely efficient with the pass catching weapon upgrades. The threat of Henry running over the defense will make passing that much easier. Maybe not an MVP caliber boost but I could see him easily getting back up to around 4,500 yards and 35ish TDs. 

What are those upgrades?  Humphries isn’t an upgrade over Edelman in the slot.  Henry certainly isn’t an upgrade over White out of the backfield.  Davis isn’t an upgrade over just about  any random starting WR at this point.  Brown is an upgrade.  Smith is an upgrade over the NE TE options, but who knows how much.

 

I guess I still don’t see how the Titans pass-catchers are going to push Brady over more than ten more TDs due to sheer talent.  The Titans attempted over 150 fewer passes than the Patriots last year.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BMcP said:

What are those upgrades?  Humphries isn’t an upgrade over Edelman in the slot.  Henry certainly isn’t an upgrade over White out of the backfield.  Davis isn’t an upgrade over just about  any random starting WR at this point.  Brown is an upgrade.  Smith is an upgrade over the NE TE options, but who knows how much.

 

I guess I still don’t see how the Titans pass-catchers are going to push Brady over more than ten more TDs due to sheer talent.  The Titans attempted over 150 fewer passes than the Patriots last year.

 

 i think I will take the other side of this speculative scenario. Looking FORWARD as NFL teams should do. I would prefer a 26yr old Humphries over a 34 year old battle scarred Edelman who may need another PEDS treatment to fight off father time and stay competitive on the field

Henry+Dion are definitely an upgrade over any backfield combo NE puts together in a rotation. yes we know Dion has disappeared on the Titans but the check downs Brady likes to throw wiil be there for him as they reconnect on years of chemistry. They will find a way to use Dion properly. 

AJ Brown+Corey Davis will be upgrades in the wr game depending on bradys capacity to push the ball downfield

Any Te on the Titans is an upgrade to i dont even know who the NE TE is

 

I think the question is would Brady actually be an upgrade at QB with only a training camp under his belt.  He would be coming in with a big contract and wont have that motivation like Tannenhill who was playing for his career from the backup position for future relevancy and a future contract 😂

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dashoe said:

 

 i think I will take the other side of this speculative scenario. Looking FORWARD as NFL teams should do. I would prefer a 26yr old Humphries over a 34 year old battle scarred Edelman who may need another PEDS treatment to fight off father time and stay competitive on the field

Henry+Dion are definitely an upgrade over any backfield combo NE puts together in a rotation. yes we know Dion has disappeared on the Titans but the check downs Brady likes to throw wiil be there for him as they reconnect on years of chemistry. They will find a way to use Dion properly. 

AJ Brown+Corey Davis will be upgrades in the wr game depending on bradys capacity to push the ball downfield

Any Te on the Titans is an upgrade to i dont even know who the NE TE is

 

I think the question is would Brady actually be an upgrade at QB with only a training camp under his belt.  He would be coming in with a big contract and wont have that motivation like Tannenhill who was playing for his career from the backup position for future relevancy and a future contract 😂

I feel fairly sure you and I agree have agreed in the last that Lewis is a goner.  I’m game, though - do we think Brady would throw the ball over 150 times more than the QB threw this last year?

Edited by BMcP
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I feel fairly sure you and I agree have agreed in the las that Lewis is a goner.  I’m game, though - do we think Brady would throw the ball over 150 times more than the QB threw this last year?

 

Personally I don't think Brady is the missing link for TEN given the run heavy play action offense they have.  i don't think he would be a significant upgrade at the position for what he would cost. The Titans would need to spend that money tweaking the o-line and upgrading the entire defense to complement the clock killing offense. 

I mean I do understand the theory that the running game would protect Brady to some and he should be able to efficiently read and pick apart the defense based on what they give him but we are assuming a year older he can still make those throws when needed.

Brady's strength is not stretching the field  with his arm and punishing the secondary with the deep ball, so what exactly would he add over a competent, hungry and desperate Tannenhill, aside from the ability to sell a mountain of jerseys to cover the cost of his contract 😂

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Leave it alone Tennessee.  You found one of the rarest and most valuable commodities in the league last season....A relatively young franchise qb that someone else tossed aside.    

Miami and Gase were quite astute at finding ways to get the least out of their talent. Minkah, Drake, Landry, Tunsil, Tanny all went on to greater success almost instantly.  I’m not willing to throw that away for one/ two (if you’re feeling lucky) seasons with the husk of TB-  who can’t move or throw it deep with any kind of velocity anymore.   

 

Sign Tanny and keep building.   He’ll be your guy for potential 5-7 more seasons. 
 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

Leave it alone Tennessee.  You found one of the rarest and most valuable commodities in the league last season....A relatively young franchise qb that someone else tossed aside.    

Miami and Gase were quite astute at finding ways to get the least out of their talent. Minkah, Drake, Landry, Tunsil, Tanny all went on to greater success almost instantly.  I’m not willing to throw that away for one/ two (if you’re feeling lucky) seasons with the husk of TB-  who can’t move or throw it deep with any kind of velocity anymore.   

 

Sign Tanny and keep building.   He’ll be your guy for potential 5-7 more seasons. 
 

 

 

Don’t forget Parker

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Leave it alone Tennessee.  You found one of the rarest and most valuable commodities in the league last season....A relatively young franchise qb that someone else tossed aside.    

Miami and Gase were quite astute at finding ways to get the least out of their talent. Minkah, Drake, Landry, Tunsil, Tanny all went on to greater success almost instantly.  I’m not willing to throw that away for one/ two (if you’re feeling lucky) seasons with the husk of TB-  who can’t move or throw it deep with any kind of velocity anymore.   

 

Sign Tanny and keep building.   He’ll be your guy for potential 5-7 more seasons. 
 

 

 

 

Tannehill is 31 and most certainly not a franchise QB

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

 

Tannehill is 31 and most certainly not a franchise QB

 

 

 

What does his age have to do with not being a franchise QB?

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

 

Tannehill is 31 and most certainly not a franchise QB

 

 

 

He was drafted to be one.  One season removed from Miami and he’s CPOY and a Mahomes mad comeback away from the SB.    

 Did people not watch him make play after play from day 1 in Tenn?   That team was headed toward a coaching change and a rebuild before Tanny.  
 

31 isn’t old for a qb.   Brady is 42.   

Edited by Impreza178
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

He was drafted to be one.  One season removed from Miami and he’s CPOY and a Mahomes mad comeback away from the SB.    

 Did people not watch him make play after play from day 1 in Tenn?   That team was headed toward a coaching change and a rebuild before Tanny.  
 

31 isn’t old for a qb.   Brady is 42.   

 

He has been in the league 7 years. It's way more likely it is a fluke than he has suddenly morphed into a franchise QB, no?

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

 

He has been in the league 7 years. It's way more likely it is a fluke than he has suddenly morphed into a franchise QB, no?

I think, if we are speaking of “likelihood,” that he was mismanaged by Gase - much like every notable player has been under his tenure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

 

Tannehill is 31 and most certainly not a franchise QB

 

 

 

Don’t forget Damien Williams.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Don’t forget Damien Williams.

 

Comparing Williams' situation to Tannehill's doesn't make much sense to me.

 

Ryan Tannehill played in 24 of his 88 career Miami games with Gase as his coach and had his 2 of his 3 highest career QB ratings in Miami in those two years (93.5, 92.7 with the other being 92.8). Claiming Tannehill is now a franchise QB with TN after a long career of mediocrity because he's not being mismanaged by Gase anymore doesn't really make any sense to me. Gase wasn't even his coach for most of his games in Miami lol. Are we throwing out the rest of his time in Miami?

 

Edited by ThreadKiller
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

I think comparing a RB who wasn't used much by Gase who then goes off to have success elsewhere is a bit different than Tannehill playing under Gase for only half of his Miami career and not doing so well.

 

Ryan Tannehill played in 24 of his 88 career Miami games with Gase as his coach and had his 2 of his 3 highest career QB ratings in Miami in those two years (93.5, 92.7 with the other being 92.8). Claiming Tannehill is now a franchise QB with TN after a long career of mediocrity because he's not being mismanaged by Gase anymore doesn't really make any sense to me. Having Gase as his coach was only a small portion of his play with Miami.

 

He did make it to the playoffs with Gase - but Tannehill sat out nearly a year and a half with injuries under his tenure.  I’m sorry, I can’t bring myself to proclaim Adam Gase as a worthy HC. Just too many examples of his failing to identify and properly utilize talent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

 

What does he have to do with anything?

Another example of a player who exploded once freed from the restraints of playing under Adam Gase.

What does Tannehill being 31 have to do with whether or not he’s a potential franchise QB?

Edited by BMcP
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BMcP said:

He did make it to the playoffs with Gase - but Tannehill sat out nearly a year and a half with injuries under his tenure.  I’m sorry, I can’t bring myself to proclaim Adam Gase as a worthy HC. Just too many examples of his failing to identify and properly utilize talent.

 

Oh I agree 100%, Adam Gase is a horrible hc.

However, it keeps being said that Tannehill is now a franchise QB because he's away from being mismanaged by Gase. Gase wasn't even his hc for most of his career so that makes absolutely no sense...Are we just throwing out the rest of his career when Gase wasn't his coach and Tannehill was still mediocre? I guess my point is that he wasn't mismanaged by Gase and THAT'S what made him mediocre.

 

The likelihood is that Tannehill is a mediocre QB, not that he is now free from being coached and "mismanaged" by Gase (even though that was for only 24 of his 88 career Miami games.

Edited by ThreadKiller
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

Oh I agree 100%, Adam Gase is a horrible hc.

However, it keeps being said that Tannehill is now a franchise QB because he's away from being mismanaged by Gase. Gase wasn't even his hc for most of his career...Are we just throwing out the rest of his career when Gase wasn't his coach and Tannehill was still mediocre? I guess my point is that he wasn't mismanaged by Gase and THAT'S what made him mediocre.

He is mediocre because he was properly managed by Gase?  I’m not sure I follow that logical cause-and-effect connection.  I hope the Titans re-sign him - he’s a perfect fit with Henry and their scheme in general.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BMcP said:

He is mediocre because he was properly managed by Gase?  I’m not sure I follow that logical cause-and-effect connection.  I hope the Titans re-sign him - he’s a perfect fit with Henry and their scheme in general.

 

You and others said he is now a franchise QB because he's no longer being mismanaged by Adam Gase, correct?

My point is that being "mismanaged" ("mismanaged" is a very subjective statement but we will go with it I guess) by Gase was only a very small portion of his time in Miami as a mediocre QB. What about the rest of his career in Miami? Was he also being mismanaged by Philbin? Why does this mediocre part of his career get a pass?

He was mediocre from 2012-2015 (4 entire seasons) before Gase was even his head coach. The point that he was only mediocre because of Gase and now that he's away from Gase, he's suddenly a franchise QB makes absolutely no sense.

 

By claiming he's now a franchise QB because "he's free of Gase" is completely ignoring the majority of his Miami career where Gase had nothing to do with him. And if anything, he improved under Gase, so it makes even less sense.

Edited by ThreadKiller
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

You and others said he is now a franchise QB because he's no longer being mismanaged by Adam Gase, correct?

My point is that being "mismanaged" ("mismanaged" is a very subjective statement but we will go with it I guess) by Gase was only a very small portion of his time in Miami as a mediocre QB. What about the rest of his career in Miami? Was he also being mismanaged by Philbin? Why does this mediocre part of his career get a pass?

He was mediocre from 2012-2015 (4 entire seasons) before Gase was even his head coach. The point that he was only mediocre because of Gase and now that he's away from Gase, he's suddenly a franchise QB makes absolutely no sense.

 

By claiming he's now a franchise QB because "he's free of Gase" is completely ignoring the majority of his Miami career where Gase had nothing to do with him. And if anything, he improved under Gase, so it makes even less sense.

Never once claimed he was a franchise QB - only stated he had the potential to be one.  And that his tenure with the Dolphins - and his age - shouldn’t be held against him in that regard.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryan Tannehill: 2012-2015 (Philbin as his head coach). Played total of 64 games. Mediocre QB

Ryan Tannehill: 2016-2018 (Gase as his head coach) and Tannehill missed 2017 and some other games due to injury. Only played a total of 24 games. Mediocre QB

Ryan Tannehill: 2019 (Vrabel as head coach) Started 10 games.

 

Will someone explain to me how Gase was the cause of him being a mediocre QB and how that since Gase isn't his coach now, it can be expected that he's now a franchise QB? Will someone also explain to me how the (88) games he played in as a mediocre QB isn't enough of a sample size to outweigh (10) that he played in 2019?

 

There is a greater likelihood that last year was a bit flukey than the other way around.

 

Anyhow, let's get this thread back on track talking about Tom Brady.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Never once claimed he was a franchise QB - only stated he had the potential to be one.  And that his tenure with the Dolphins - and his age - shouldn’t be held against him in that regard.

 

You didn't say his "tenure with Miami" though? You said he was "mismanaged by Gase" which to me, implies that's what made him mediocre in your eyes. I'm just trying to understand how that's even possible considering that Gase was a very small portion of his time in Miami. Gase isn't who/what made Tannehill mediocre. He was mediocre BEFORE Gase even came into the picture.

Edited by ThreadKiller
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

You didn't say his tenure with Miami. You said he was "mismanaged by Gase" which implies that's what made him mediocre in your eyes. Just trying to understand how that's even possible considering that Gase was a very small portion of his time in Miami.

You literally wrote that his proper management by Gase caused him to be mediocre - correct me if I’m wrong.

Edited by BMcP
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Tom Brady 2020 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...