Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lamar Jackson 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RG3?

I love julio, but unfortunately this isn't street fighter where he can go "yoga arms" and catch one of lamars errand passes.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Evincar said:

 

There's nothing wrong with the WRs. Its all on Lamar.

 

No they do have a personnel problem at WR. It also wouldn't matter as much if Greg Roman emphasized them more in their play design. No matter where he's been he's consistently coordinated offenses that are near the bottom of the league in passing. Alex Smith actually looked all right when he got with Andy Reid. 

 

Bad news for the Ravens is that their offensive line is beat up (all-pro LT Ronnie Stanley is out for the year), and I don't think their issues in the interior OL can be fixed until the off season. It's causing some erratic pocket play and errant throws in areas of the field where Lamar has been accurate, historically. I'm mostly puzzled by Lamar's decision making this year. It's undisciplined and it's forcing the issue. Those interceptions were because of bad decisions. And I really wish he'd scramble more...  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

Agreed and has Boykin and Snead as his WRs. Ravens should be actively trying to trade for a good WR right now!

 

Snead had a solid game. Boykin was good early (again) and disappeared (again) by the 2nd half. Hollywood wasn't involved at all today. Duvernay had a great catch on a deep ball and that's the only time I can remember him even being on the field. Dunno why they don't use him more on screens and end arounds. Dunno why they never run Hollywood on crossers or use him in the screen game...I guess he's just gonna be a decoy that occasionally catches come backs and deep balls. Idk. 

Edited by Deuce1042
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

Top to bottom they have to have a bottom 5 WR core.

 

Maybe, but I think they're just missing a possession guy. Brown is a fine burner and Snead is a fine 3rd receiver, but they need an Edleman/Welker/Reggie Wayne/etc... type guy who can absorb a 5-10 yard route.

Problem is Lamar is freakishly talented and relies too much on that talent and I noticed a number of times where he just locked on to his first read and was going there no matter what. A microcosm of that was the last play of the game where he almost won it but also threw it into triple coverage in the end zone (and also of course did not win it with that throw).

Edited by vercrazy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Shaud said:

People really think this team doesn’t have a receiver problem ?

Only complete morons. Brown is a midget easily taken out of games. The others are No. 4 types.

The line is a mess.

Greg Roman is simply awful at coordinating any type of passing game.

Put any QB behind this line, with those receivers and Greg Roman calling plays and they would look awful. People don't understand that what Lamar did last year was pretty much a minor miracle. It was literally all him. I think covid prevented him from working out with the QB guru who coached him up last offseason. His accuracy and decision making have completely regressed this year.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vercrazy said:

 

Maybe, but I think they're just missing a possession guy. Brown is a fine burner and Snead is a fine 3rd receiver, but they need an Edleman/Welker/Reggie Wayne/etc... type guy who can absorb a 5-10 yard route.

Problem is Lamar is freakishly talented and relies too much on that talent and I noticed a number of times where he just locked on to his first read and was going there no matter what. A microcosm of that was the last play of the game where he almost won it but also threw it into triple coverage in the end zone (and also of course did not win it with that throw).

 

Miles Boykin might've been open on that play too. I hate...hate...HATE that draw play on 4th and 3. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Lamar is a quality QB in the red zone. Give him some passing options. He threw two TDs in the red zone you didn't trust him to with the game on the line. The draw play is dumb because if push comes to shove, you know he'll try to pick it up with his legs if nothing is there. 

 

If you're gonna run the ball on that play...then line up in your base look and run the ball. You rushed for 265 yards doing that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Only complete morons. Brown is a midget easily taken out of games. The others are No. 4 types.

The line is a mess.

Greg Roman is simply awful at coordinating any type of passing game.

Put any QB behind this line, with those receivers and Greg Roman calling plays and they would look awful. People don't understand that what Lamar did last year was pretty much a minor miracle. It was literally all him. I think covid prevented him from working out with the QB guru who coached him up last offseason. His accuracy and decision making have completely regressed this year.

 

A conversation the anti-Lamar club isn't willing to have is that this offense is very Mike Vick-esque in Atlanta except it's better coached. Meaning that it's really mostly the QB. He's by far the team's best playmaker game in and game out and he masked a lot of problems on this team the back half of the regular season last year. The worst thing that happened to him is that he won the MVP and they went 14-2, because it's created expectations for him and this offense that simply aren't realistic. This isn't a SB team. And he's a young developing QB. That's what Lamar is. A special athlete at QB who is still learning how to play in the NFL. He also wouldn't be in the league if he couldn't throw. 

 

If Lamar couldn't run they wouldn't run the ball as well as a team in general. Because defenses have to honor that he's a runner himself in the offense and it opens up rush lanes for the running backs. All you have to do is look at the state of the running game his rookie season when Flacco was still the starter. 

Edited by Deuce1042
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Deuce1042 said:

 

A conversation the anti-Lamar club isn't willing to have is that this offense is very Mike Vick-esque in Atlanta except it's better coached. Meaning that it's really mostly the QB. He's by far the team's best playmaker game in and game out and he masked a lot of problems on this team the back half of the regular season last year. The worst thing that happened to him is that he won the MVP and they went 14-2, because it's created expectations for him and this offense that simply aren't realistic. This isn't a SB team. And he's a young developing QB. That's what Lamar is. A special athlete at QB who is still learning how to play in the NFL. He also wouldn't be in the league if he couldn't throw. 

 

If Lamar couldn't run they wouldn't run the ball as well as a team in general. Because defenses have to honor that he's a runner himself in the offense and it opens up rush lanes for the running backs. All you have to do is look at the state of the running game his rookie season when Flacco was still the starter. 

 

Its definitely a very gimmicky offense just like Vick ran. Problem is that this type of offense just doesnt work over a long period of time, and it wont work against the better defenses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Evincar said:

 

Its definitely a very gimmicky offense just like Vick ran. Problem is that this type of offense just doesnt work over a long period of time, and it wont work against the better defenses. 

 

TBH it would've worked today if the QB doesn't turn the ball over four times. Nobody has run the ball on Pittsburgh all season and the Ravens annihilated them on the ground. But that's the problem. It's backbreaking for any team when their QB doesn't play well, but it's exacerbated with the Ravens because of how much Lamar contributes to what they do running and throwing. If he's bad the offense is plain and simple bad. If Mahomes is bad he has guys to lean on. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2020 at 8:38 PM, vercrazy said:

Are we not all talking about the same Lamar who just rushed for 100 yards before the bye? I'm confused why there's such high negativity at the moment, agreed he wasn't used to his strengths when his knee was bulky but I'm definitely not benching for a Wentz. Might come back to bite me but I'll own it if it does.

 

Well, 4 turnovers is a pretty bad performance, no other way to slice it. I'm still somewhat optimistic going forward but the lack of good decision-making dampens my outlook.

 

That said, on the bright-side Wentz was even more awful, so I guess I was technically correct?



oWXI4Zc.jpg

Edited by vercrazy
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BookersB said:

I was thinking of buying prior to this game but I know nothing about how's hes playing other than points. Are people really jumping ship and trying to sell? 

I wouldn't sell. He missed a rushing TD by inches and had a 30-yard TD called back for a hold that I don't believe really affected his run. All things considered that's a solid game against that defense. 

That said, he's one of the worst passers in the league, and he has very limited weapons. 

You're not gonna get value for him in a deal. I'd ride it out and hope we get an uptick. My guess is he hovers around QB5 ROS. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

You're not gonna get value for him in a deal. I'd ride it out and hope we get an uptick. My guess is he hovers around QB5 ROS. 

You're tripping, he'll be lucky to finish in the top half

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...