NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lamar Jackson 2020 Outlook

3 hours ago, mike11 said:

Sure, he'll never be Mahomes or Rodgers passing, but we've seen he doesn't need to be to be a dynamic fantasy QB. Unfortunately when you're ranked QB2 coming into the season you'll face scrutiny and for people that thought he'd carry them this year, half of his insane value was how late you got him last year and that return on investment is just not likely to happen. 

I'd say as a Ravens fan watching the games he's inconsistent right now and team are specifically forcing him to throw to the outside hashes where he's the worst. I'm going to leave this here too, people sometimes have a short memory. Now, this isn't to say "Lamar is a better passer than Mahomes" BUT it should show that he has done it (been accurate before).

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

I can't even recall that many times he actually attempts throws outside the numbers in a game. He does just not every often. 

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RG3?

I love julio, but unfortunately this isn't street fighter where he can go "yoga arms" and catch one of lamars errand passes.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Lamar Jackson scrambles/runs less than Mahomes? Um, what? Lamar Jackson runs literally more than all of those players...

Jackon's play style is similar to Vick in that they are inaccurate passing QBs whose first instinct once they see that their first read is covered, is to run (scramble) and they are very good in doing so (running)

I didn't say he runs less. I said he scrambles less. Mostly is used on designed runs. Doesn't take off a lot on plays designed to be a passing play unless he's under duress. Also doesn't use his athleticism as much as he should to manipulate down field defenders to create throwing lanes. Mahomes is really good at this. Russ is too. It's very on and off with Lamar it's like he's either in "passer mode" or "runner mode". It's not a smooth continuum depending on the situation.  

And no he and Vick's play styles are not similar. Vick was far more inclined to take off and improvise than Lamar. 

Edited by Deuce1042
1 minute ago, Deuce1042 said:

I didn't say he runs less. I said he scrambles less. Mostly is used on designed runs. Doesn't take off a lot on plays designed to be a passing play unless he's under duress. Also doesn't use his athleticism as much as he should to manipulate down field defenders to create throwing lanes. Mahomes is really good at this. Russ is too. It's very on and off with Lamar it's like he's either in "passer mode" or "runner mode". It's not a smooth continuum depending on the situation.  

lol ok.

9 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

When did I even mention the deep ball? Please don't put words in my mouth. My point was that context is important here. Someone labeled Jackson as accurate because he was 19-23 but didn't mention that the ball never really traveled far. It reminds me of when people would say OMG, Brees accuracy that game was 90% but he was 25-28 for 190yds with primarily dump offs/screens to the backs.

And yes, I agree I am much more interested in the short to intermediate passing game with the deep game as complimentary and connecting half the time is a success. Lamar is NOT accurate in the intermediate game.

I guess just my main point is, like I said, context is important.

Metrics and film say he is accurate in the intermediate actually. And I think in the 2nd half he was averaging over 10 yards per completion. The ball was traveling past the sticks or he took what the defense gave him and got a ball underneath to a guy in space and allowed him to run after the catch. Which is what a QB should do. 

Dunno about this season, but Lamar everywhere on the field last season was above averaging passing the ball except deep down the field towards his left (outside the numbers). Where he was and still is horrible. He's one of the better QBs in the league over the middle of the field. That's just his wheelhouse. Doesn't do as well on those breaking routes toward the boundary. Needs work. Timing and mechanics are inconsistent on those throws. 

Everything about this game screams GET RIGHT. Facing the worst defense in football, LJax on the radio saying opponents are guessing their plays, Sunday Night game, after 2 weeks of playing top 3 defenses. Ive benched this guy for Herbert 3 weeks in a row but funny feeling he has a monster game this week. Only thing stopping me is NE offense wont be able to score on BAL so he will have to do all his scoring in 3 quarters.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

I'm back on the Lamar train after I had to give up my starting QB in a trade. I don't like it at all lol.

Here's to hoping the Ravens offense can get their **** together for this last stretch, but after Lamar publicly stated "Defenses callin out our plays man..." I don't think I have much faith. Reasons I tried to get off the Lamar train early in the season still stand true -- against terrible teams that they blow out, he sits nearly the entire 4th quarter. Against good teams that they don't blow out, well the good teams limit him by keeping him out of the endzone and creating turnovers.

Edited by harck
5 minutes ago, FavreCo said:

Lamar Jackson: Defenses are calling out Ravens' plays

"Dumbass, no skill bum is gonna drop back and run"

Through his first 30 starts Lamar has thrown for 54 touchdowns and 13 INTs.

Through Favre's first 30 starts he threw 37 touchdowns and 37 INTs.

Lamar is also a year younger than Favre was through 30 games.

Look I get that Lamar has been a big letdown for those who drafted him early, and I don't think he'll have a Favre-level career, but calling him a no skill bum just makes you look like a jilted ex-girlfriend who lacks any real credibility. At least half the teams in the league would take him right now as their starter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, yanksman said:

From this article:

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/sunday-night-football-preview/sunday-night-football-deep-dive-7

The Patriots Defense ranks 31st in the NFL.  They rank 30th against the pass and 31st against the run.

Y/PG - 12th

P/PG - 12th

This can be verified only any site. Don't know where that dude gets his information.

4 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Y/PG - 12th

P/PG - 12th

This can be verified only any site. Don't know where that dude gets his information.

Hmm no clue

Horrible misinformation unless he is using some advanced stat and doesn't say which one.

1 minute ago, Chippa said:

due to injury. Flacco still had them in a position to make the playoffs

Think Alex Smith 2012

Flacco has since lost his job to Drew Lock and is now the backup QB of the 0-9 NYJ. I think you guys may not want to quit your day jobs to become NFL scouts.

Just now, yanksman said:

Flacco has since lost his job to Drew Lock and is now the backup QB of the 0-9 NYJ. I think you guys may not want to quit your day jobs to become NFL scouts.

oh I never said that flacco is currently better than Lamar. 

But I do think at the end of the day, Flacco will be remembered as a better qb for the Ravens than Lamar. Even with the Lamar mvp in 2019

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Lmao pretty sure Flacco lost his job to LJax

pretty sure flacco won a superbowl, can throw a ball and win a playoff game. but sure yah, lamar is better at running the ball. congrats? 

saying lamar > flacco is a lot like saying taysum hill > drew brees. LOL 

Edited by TroutFister
  • Like 1

Out of high school most power 5 colleges that recruited him wanted him to move to wide receiver.  His throwing mechanics were bad. He went to Louisville, took the starting job as a true freshman, and went on to win a Heisman as a sophomore. Statistically he was even better as a junior and broke all kinds of records but Louisville didn’t have a very good season so Jackson had no shot.  He went pro and again many NFL front offices wanted him to change positions. In his second season he won the MVP and set all kinds of records.  He is insanely young and clearly still honing his craft.  He has worked hard his whole career and I don’t know any basis for anyone to say he won the MVP and stopped working, just because his statistical production dropped off.  That’s more likely due to defenses having more time to script against Lamar and his schedule being more difficult this season, rather than some unsupported theory that he stopped working.

He may not be having an MVP season, and his fantasy production may be down, but I would not bet against this guy when it comes to his work ethic or the possibility that he continues to ascend in this league.

Edited by FeastMode
  • Like 5