NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lamar Jackson 2020 Outlook

1 hour ago, harck said:

It's sad, but I honestly see Lamar's ceiling at this 22-24 point mark. I know he had a 28 earlier in the season, but that was before all the injuries to his line.

Pats are nearly the worst defense in the NFL and Flacco burned them the other week before Gase put through the ownership call to toss the game at the end. I know the weather was bad, but when teams take away Lamar's big run capability, it always just goes poorly for the Ravens. His WRs are so trash and it still blows my mind that the Ravens didn't try to address this in the draft or with a trade. You can tell he would benefit so much from a short/intermediate yardage safety blanket. Andrews has dropped a ton of balls this season. Hollywood can't get separation. Terrible.

Hollywood is a talented receiver but he plays out of position and isn’t a WR1. He’s too small and isn’t physical or explosive enough off the line of scrimmage to separate against NFL corners. He needs to play the slot. 

Willie Snead is honestly the best receiver on the team and he was the 4th best guy on the Saints. Baltimore invests so much draft capital and money into the defense and left the offense out to dry. It’s not fixable. It’s a personnel problem. They’re decimated on the OL too. 

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RG3?

I love julio, but unfortunately this isn't street fighter where he can go "yoga arms" and catch one of lamars errand passes.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Theschill38 said:

Not much his WR or TE can do when his throws miss them by 5 yards every time. 

huh? did you watch the game? 4 or 5 different times receivers dropped easy EASY catches -- balls that hit them in the hands or the chest or both (when it went through their hands and then hit them in the chest). Andrews dropped at least 2, as did his RBs. Didn't help that the game took place during a monsoon. Whatever you think of LJ's accuracy issues that was NOT the problem this game. 

Also--why is it the end of the world that he scored like 25 points (league settings, yada yada) in the middle of an absolute downpour? That's the first game I can remember watching where you could hear the drops hitting the mics it was coming down so hard. This was what a large portion of the game looked like:

spacer.png

Loss of Hurst, Stanley, and now Boyle(their best blocking TE) are more reasons for their struggle this season. Injuries to their OL and they can't run their 3 TE formation (Andrews, Hurst, Boyle) that was successful with 1 RB like last season. Also this 3 RB committee ain't working, Ravens used the 2nd round pick they received from the Hurst trade for Dobbins, it's time they use him as a workhorse. Another area the Ravens are struggling on this season is the deep ball. (2019: 35% completion on 51 attempts with 9:2 TD/INT) | (2020: 26% completion on 23 attempts with 1:0 TD/INT). Defenses are focusing on taking away Andrews/Brown, Lamar isn't running as much as last season, OL injuries/inconsistencies, and lastly MADDEN CURSE. -_- 

• Like 2

Eh pack it up here. Every week we hear from analysts and the like "amazing matchup for Lamar and the Ravens, this is his blow-up game!!!" Every week it's the same. He's a QB10. 15-18 point average per week. Low ceiling. Low floor. Ravens offense sucks. He can't outplay his offense. Lotta dropped passes today. Will probably end up rolling with Taysom Hill from here on out over Lamar. Feels bad to even type that.

Edited by harck
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Decent floor, low upside. Not much more to say. His easy schedule is irrelevant because they could coast in some of their matchups with that defense.

Defense is fairly gashed with injuries. I don't even think the D will carry them from here on out. They are always playing in desperation mode with Lamar looking to pass in the second half, but it doesn't matter with the weapons on this team. Tons of key drops, teams take away Lamar's big runs, and the offense stalls completely.

1 hour ago, harck said:

Defense is fairly gashed with injuries. I don't even think the D will carry them from here on out. They are always playing in desperation mode with Lamar looking to pass in the second half, but it doesn't matter with the weapons on this team. Tons of key drops, teams take away Lamar's big runs, and the offense stalls completely.

I'd argue it was mostly Lamar stalling the offense with inaccurate throws today, the only bad drop was that 15 yard pass or so to Brown.  The only accurate throws Lamar threw that were 10+ yards past the line of scrimmage were the drop by Brown and the Andrews TD.  Lamar left at least 2 TD passes on the field under throwing Andrews and Brown in the 1st half that most QBs should be able to make, then he missed Andrews on a key 3rd down late in the game.  The deep pass that was picked to Duvernay was a poor throw as well.  He's just struggling to throw downfield right now.

1 hour ago, Illusion_J said:

I'd argue it was mostly Lamar stalling the offense with inaccurate throws today, the only bad drop was that 15 yard pass or so to Brown.  The only accurate throws Lamar threw that were 10+ yards past the line of scrimmage were the drop by Brown and the Andrews TD.  Lamar left at least 2 TD passes on the field under throwing Andrews and Brown in the 1st half that most QBs should be able to make, then he missed Andrews on a key 3rd down late in the game.  The deep pass that was picked to Duvernay was a poor throw as well.  He's just struggling to throw downfield right now.

The ball to Andrews wasn't under thrown (idk why Tony Romo said this). He threw that expecting Mark to high point it but Andrews waited on it and tried to underhand it. Byard (I think that's who it was) also made a great play. Mark needs to step up and high point the ball. 

That's been an issue with Baltimore's pass catchers all year. Not attacking the ball when it's in the air. The deep ball to Duvernay was also Duvernay's fault. There's not a single route in the route tree at ANY level of football that tells a WR to run 40 yards down field and turn 180 degrees around and look for the ball. Run through the catch. At the very least it shouldn't have been intercepted. He misjudged it and the ball flew over his head. That play is an entire microcosm of why Lamar doesn't take a lot of shots deep. I agree with the third down to Andrews later. That ball needs to be completed. And he threw to Hollywood on that deep ball about a second too late. From the replay it looked he was looking somewhere else and came off the read too late. 

It's an indictment on this WR core that Dez Bryant hasn't played in three years and was the most productive out of everyone on the core. 

Also he also made a great throw on a crossing route to Andrews on 3rd and 13 early in the game (it was a really tight window too). This passing offense is broken and it can't be fixed until the offseason. 

And it's EVERYONE's fault. The GM. The coach. Greg Roman. The OL isn't playing well. The receivers aren't very good. Lamar hasn't been very good in spite of that (and in part because of that). They really need to get a big body guy who can win on the perimeter. Dez looks promising but Hollywood can't play out on the numbers anymore. He simply can't. What Snead does he does well but he's limited. And Miles Boykin is basically benched at this point. 

The difference between AJ Brown...or even Corey Davis to Hollywood Brown and Miles Boykin is heaven and earth. Davis and AJ WHIPPED Marlon Humphrey and Marcus Peters one on one in the 2nd half. COOKED em. Baltimore's receivers can't do that. They just can't. And Marlo and Peters are pro bowlers. 

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, FavreCo said:

He's been figured out. Don't know why it took this long. His career peaked last year.

figured what out? He could still run all over teams if he wanted. He’s just not for some reason 

9 minutes ago, Deke said:

figured what out? He could still run all over teams if he wanted. He’s just not for some reason 

He has about 600 rushing yards this season. He might get 1000 again depending on how the final 6 games go. The passing offense is the issue in Baltimore. 

36 minutes ago, Deke said:

It’s not that simple. Teams are taking away the running game of the ravens and begging jackson to throw. And he can’t get it done. 

On 11/16/2020 at 9:51 PM, BGDDYKWL said:

Can't be too critical of him in that weather, but that said, I thought it was ridiculous when some were saying he's not a QB1. It's getting real close. 

if he does not run 15 times a game now, he is not qb1, not even close.