Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lamar Jackson 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, mikeflavaz said:

The Ravens offense is so rudimentary.  It's hilarious to see NFL defenses have trouble stopping it.  It's basically a high school offense.  I'm not taking away anything from Lamar.  He's obviously a rare talent.  It's still funny.  After the first half, I believe the offense had 16 runs to 3 passes. lol


Actually it isn’t. You only think that because they’re running the ball and people think that’s less complicated than throwing it schematically. Aesthetic bias. 

 

The pre snap motion, false pulls, zone blocking scheme, etc. It’s very confusing for defenses and puts defenders in conflict. Especially when Lamar is so good at the mesh point defenders sometimes can’t find the ball (and he’s capable of house calling it if you guess wrong). 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RG3?

I love julio, but unfortunately this isn't street fighter where he can go "yoga arms" and catch one of lamars errand passes.

Posted Images

On 9/29/2020 at 8:23 PM, fantasymad said:

This is the perfect time for the offense as a whole to come together and gel a little bit. Take their lumps and establish their identity. There is no way I am personally trading this guy with a playoff schedule like this. No way! He will light each one of these teams up.

14 @ Browns

15 home vs Jags

16 home vs Giants

17 @ Bengals 

 

 

That playoff schedule was too hard to ignore....hopefully another big game against Giants next week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

Giants have played very tough against QBs. Held Murray and Wilson to under 20 pts. 

Thoughts on Lamar this week?

They are not as great against the run though.. hoping for a lot of production from that aspect of his game. I have no pivot at this point so....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

On November 1, in a live-game thread, I posted the following about Lamar Jackson:

"I have to wonder if Jackson will be a starter in this league in 2 years."

I'm still wondering.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

On November 1, in a live-game thread, I posted the following about Lamar Jackson:

"I have to wonder if Jackson will be a starter in this league in 2 years."

I'm still wondering.

Didn't watch alot of game.  But didn't a wr drop a sure td??  Not trying to defend Jackson but between that and Tucker missing two kicks.  The blame isn't all on him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Didn't watch alot of game.  But didn't a wr drop a sure td??  Not trying to defend Jackson but between that and Tucker missing two kicks.  The blame isn't all on him. 

He did throw this 101 yd TD though:

 

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

On November 1, in a live-game thread, I posted the following about Lamar Jackson:

"I have to wonder if Jackson will be a starter in this league in 2 years."

I'm still wondering.

I dont see why he wouldnt. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He can beat badly coached defenses. The problem is he will face a good defense in the playoffs so he will never win a SB which is the goal of every team. The blueprint was written and the Bills employed it. Just don't let him run. You can get this bum all the weapons in the world but passes like the one to a wide open Mark Andrews will negate their value. When they write the check for this clown, their franchise is doomed to a playoff appearance at best. They won't be able to field a top of the line D. He's a Vince Young clone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FavreCo said:

He can beat badly coached defenses. The problem is he will face a good defense in the playoffs so he will never win a SB which is the goal of every team. The blueprint was written and the Bills employed it. Just don't let him run. You can get this bum all the weapons in the world but passes like the one to a wide open Mark Andrews will negate their value. When they write the check for this clown, their franchise is doomed to a playoff appearance at best. They won't be able to field a top of the line D. He's a Vince Young clone.

Agree mostly here. Lamar needs to take another step in his passing game badly. Not sure if it will happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FavreCo said:

He can beat badly coached defenses. The problem is he will face a good defense in the playoffs so he will never win a SB which is the goal of every team. The blueprint was written and the Bills employed it. Just don't let him run. You can get this bum all the weapons in the world but passes like the one to a wide open Mark Andrews will negate their value. When they write the check for this clown, their franchise is doomed to a playoff appearance at best. They won't be able to field a top of the line D. He's a Vince Young clone.

The Titans are a very well coached defense. Their personnel is just spotty. The Niners were last year too and he beat them. Also did Lamar have intercourse with your wife or something? 

 

We're calling him a clown for what? You have that type of energy for people in person or are you a keyboard warrior? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

On November 1, in a live-game thread, I posted the following about Lamar Jackson:

"I have to wonder if Jackson will be a starter in this league in 2 years."

I'm still wondering.

They surely pick up his 5th year option of course.  I don't see how they don't sign him to a big time contract.  Only thing preventing that would be a massive injury next year.  He's still top 5 in the league due to his rushing prowess.  What I don't understand is where the touch he had passing the ball last year during his MVP run went.  How did he regress so badly?  Even if teams figured him out, he still showed some semblance of being an NFL passer last year.  Was it just crazy efficiency?

I spent a second rounder on him this year.  Surely won't make that mistake again next year.  He would provide some excellent value next year if he falls like he surely will.  Pair him up with one of the rookies who could surprise ala Justin Herbert and that would be a good insurance policy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CooL said:

They surely pick up his 5th year option of course.  I don't see how they don't sign him to a big time contract.  Only thing preventing that would be a massive injury next year.  He's still top 5 in the league due to his rushing prowess.  What I don't understand is where the touch he had passing the ball last year during his MVP run went.  How did he regress so badly?  Even if teams figured him out, he still showed some semblance of being an NFL passer last year.  Was it just crazy efficiency?

I spent a second rounder on him this year.  Surely won't make that mistake again next year.  He would provide some excellent value next year if he falls like he surely will.  Pair him up with one of the rookies who could surprise ala Justin Herbert and that would be a good insurance policy.

On that topic I think it's fair to speculate that Roman is not the answer at OC. Lamar can either be legit throwing or he can't be. I don't see any other than one answer with his current OC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CooL said:

They surely pick up his 5th year option of course.  I don't see how they don't sign him to a big time contract.  Only thing preventing that would be a massive injury next year.  He's still top 5 in the league due to his rushing prowess.  What I don't understand is where the touch he had passing the ball last year during his MVP run went.  How did he regress so badly?  Even if teams figured him out, he still showed some semblance of being an NFL passer last year.  Was it just crazy efficiency?

I spent a second rounder on him this year.  Surely won't make that mistake again next year.  He would provide some excellent value next year if he falls like he surely will.  Pair him up with one of the rookies who could surprise ala Justin Herbert and that would be a good insurance policy.

 

It was crazy efficiency.  He led the league in passing TDs, with fewer yards than Trubisky last year.  He had the fewest attempts of any starter with the amount of games he played.  Some who played fewer games were even ahead of him in attempts.   People were afraid to be critical of his passing because he was putting up stats.  He had one 300 yard game, eight 200 yard games (only 1 of those over 250), and six 100 yard games passing.

When the team needed to pass to catch up, they got in trouble.  It happened during the regular season against Cleveland in a blowout loss.  The same thing happened against the Titans in the playoffs.  We saw it again this year against a poor Bills D that is playing above themselves in the playoffs, yet still gave up a 300 yard game to the statue known as Rivers the weak prior.

He needs a better supporting cast as far as pass catchers, but the run game is still there and the D has been really good since he has been there.  The flaws are coming out now that teams are seeing more of him and it is becoming harder to hide his flaws in the passing game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sternes said:

 

It was crazy efficiency.  He led the league in passing TDs, with fewer yards than Trubisky last year.  He had the fewest attempts of any starter with the amount of games he played.  Some who played fewer games were even ahead of him in attempts.   People were afraid to be critical of his passing because he was putting up stats.  He had one 300 yard game, eight 200 yard games (only 1 of those over 250), and six 100 yard games passing.

When the team needed to pass to catch up, they got in trouble.  It happened during the regular season against Cleveland in a blowout loss.  The same thing happened against the Titans in the playoffs.  We saw it again this year against a poor Bills D that is playing above themselves in the playoffs, yet still gave up a 300 yard game to the statue known as Rivers the weak prior.

He needs a better supporting cast as far as pass catchers, but the run game is still there and the D has been really good since he has been there.  The flaws are coming out now that teams are seeing more of him and it is becoming harder to hide his flaws in the passing game.

 

There's such an anti-Lamar sentiment on this forum that people don't even understand how important he is to whether their offense can consistently function. More so than the average QB. I would like anyone on this website to name a single Ravens game in 2.5 years that one of their RBs had a good day rushing and Lamar didn't. The only one I can think of is the Dolphins game in 2019 (his perfect passer rating game). Other than that you can't find one. Not a single one. 

 

And Baltimore only throws the ball 25 times a game (last year 27). There just isn't much room for error when you throw the ball that few times, so he basically has to be near perfect. A good Lamar Jackson game is going 17/25 for 220 yards and 2 TDs, and if it's a really good team he probably has to add 15 carries for 120 yards too. Their offense is too dependent on him. They really need to address the interior offensive line. The issues at center with the snap are unprofessional. They're terrible at right guard. They also really need a primary receiver who is a good route runner at all three levels and has proven experience. 

 

Baltimore's offense is more scheme over talent and even that has a ceiling. It's the cheapest and one of the youngest offenses in the NFL. Whatever this website thinks Lamar Jackson should be wouldn't fix their offense that much. He'd complete about 3 or 4 more balls in a given game that he otherwise wouldn't. Just not enough attempts. He still needs to work on his footwork and emphasize all off season getting the ball out on time. Deshaun Watson had this problem too where he held on to the ball too long waiting for stuff to develop. Interceptions throwing into tight windows in the red zone happen. Just sucks for him it happened when it did. Aaron Rodgers should've gotten picked off twice yesterday. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

In short, Lamar being a better passer (which he needs to be) isn't going to fix their interior OL making inexcusable mistakes, it won't fix their pass catchers dropping way too many passes, and it won't fix their WRs not being able to get separation downfield unless it's sometimes Marquise Brown. 

 

And lastly it won't fix their offensive philosophy in general. Which is a OC problem. It doesn't matter what personnel Greg Roman has his offenses always look the same (meaning they don't throw the ball a lot and pound teams in the running game). Lamar's offense at Louisville was a lot more expansive and demanded more of defenses to defend. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Deuce1042 said:

And lastly it won't fix their offensive philosophy in general. Which is a OC problem. It doesn't matter what personnel Greg Roman has his offenses always look the same (meaning they don't throw the ball a lot and pound teams in the running game).

You're not even exaggerating (which is unusual on this forum):

image.png.606ab66d9efac07717a30f261fc52f3a.png

He had 6/8 seasons top-3 rushing attempts, and 7/8 bottom-3 pass attempts. It has to be said that he did most of that with Kaepernick, Tyrod Taylor and LJax, so it is a scheme that fits those QBs, but in SF (and BUF) it's not as if they didn't have any receiving talent.

It would be interesting to see if a new OC would make the Offense more varied - LJax may even be a "buy low" candidate if the current (Dynasty) owner is sufficiently upset at the current season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

On that topic I think it's fair to speculate that Roman is not the answer at OC. Lamar can either be legit throwing or he can't be. I don't see any other than one answer with his current OC.

I think Roman has been fairly innovative with Lamar compared to Kaep. And this is a good video to watch explaining why.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, devaster said:

I think Roman has been fairly innovative with Lamar compared to Kaep. And this is a good video to watch explaining why.

What I hear/see is that they keep running the same plays with variations, which is a good plan, right up until the point the next opponent catches on and finds a way to read it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

What I hear/see is that they keep running the same plays with variations, which is a good plan, right up until the point the next opponent catches on and finds a way to read it.

That is how every team operates. Teams try to run their best players with different formations, personnel, etc. to confuse defenses. We saw it happen often yesterday in the Chiefs game. Romo did a good job of explaining it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...