Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dustin May 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gingergaard!

Absolutely May will benefit. May's time is THIS year and I think he will make a big impact for his team.

19 minutes ago, KCTD25 said:

Not on the active roster to start the season. Have to think this is a service time move and he'll be up next week? 

He's got around two months of service time from last year, so I'm not sure how 2019 service days convert to 2020 but I doubt the week delay would save them a year with two months already on the books.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Are we worried about him not on the active roster? I read somewhere that he could possibly be called up for Buehler’s start against Houston on 7/28.

Yes, that's the plan. He will piggyback with Buehler for his first 2-3 starts, beginning 7/28. May was sent down to keep an extra position player until then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He looked great, box score doesn't really tell the story, 2 of the hits were because of the shift, and a fluky "hit" that hit off the runner, that would have been a double play if it didn't and a few bloops that got down, nothing hard hit, he had great movement on his pitches, and hit 100mph, 99mph quite a few times... sucks his next start is probably coming against Houston, ...If he could hold that rotation spot down with that offense, great things could be ahead.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, enyouartist said:

So this just a spot start, right?  As soon as Kershaw mends, May is back down right?

Assuming Kershaw mends soon - he has a history of back problems. May could end up being a much bigger part of the rotation than originally planned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheChamp said:

He looked great, box score doesn't really tell the story, 2 of the hits were because of the shift, and a fluky "hit" that hit off the runner, that would have been a double play if it didn't and a few bloops that got down, nothing hard hit, he had great movement on his pitches, and hit 100mph, 99mph quite a few times... sucks his next start is probably coming against Houston, ...If he could hold that rotation spot down with that offense, great things could be ahead.

basically this.

 

dave roberts inexplicably shifting in the first inning on some scrub is why i'm beginning to loathe modern day baseball

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nittanychris said:

If he keeps pitching like this, there is absolutely no reason he can't push Stripling back to the pen.

 

Wouldn't bank on it unless Stirpling struggles, Stripling is quite good, a former all star, and the Dodgers feel inclined to give him a starting spot. They traded Maeda away because he wanted to start, I think at worst they want to build Stripling's trade value before moving him for an actual asset, like they got Graterol for Maeda.  Again, Stripling is pretty good too. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

basically this.

 

dave roberts inexplicably shifting in the first inning on some scrub is why i'm beginning to loathe modern day baseball

Not a fan of the shift, but in fairness, if hitters would go the opposite way or lay down a bunt they would put an end to it in a hurry.  The absolute stubbornness of many hitters to pull everything and swing for the fences all the time is what has brought upon the widespread use of shifts.  They used to shift Ted Williams, but back then most players and management actually loathed the k.  Nowadays, if they hit 230 with 35 HRs and a 300 OBP with 200+Ks, they think they are doing good and there is an element of the stat-heads who would agree with them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is May going to get two starts this week? He starts on 7/28 and Sunday 8/2 would be 5 starts later for LAD. I believe that is also the first day Kershaw is eligible to return. Edit: Looks like he was backdated to 7/20, so 7/30 is 10 days. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Is May going to get two starts this week? He starts on 7/28 and Sunday 8/2 would be 5 starts later for LAD. I believe that is also the first day Kershaw is eligible to return. Edit: Looks like he was backdated to 7/20, so 7/30 is 10 days. 


multiple variables here..the first one is the health of kershaw

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 8:10 AM, nittanychris said:

If he keeps pitching like this, there is absolutely no reason he can't push Stripling back to the pen.

Yeah to sort of echo what Brock said, I would not expect Strip to go down without a sizeable fight--dude can flat out pitch.

Look, I like May a bunch, but even with how generally impressive he looked in the spot start, he is basically a 2 pitch guy--both extraordinarily firm (and curve lags far behind). I have had eyes on a bunch of his work, but he is still a ways off from a finished product (with plenty good reason!)...I like his future, but there are gonna be nights he can't get it all together, regardless of his extreme HEAT.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...