NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally think he's done. Also, these tiers were for 10 team leagues and I don't think Murphy should be owned in that particular format. 

Juiced ball or no, Alonso hit more HR than anybody else in all of MLB last year... as a rookie. That's impressive. I think he's gonna continue to rake. 

Tiered 1B rankings for 10 team roto leagues with both a 1B and Corner Infield slot. I'm probably a little lower on Gurriel then most, but I'm expecting some serious power regression. Same with Santana

On 2/18/2020 at 4:22 PM, jmcampbe11 said:

Tiered 1B rankings for 10 team roto leagues with both a 1B and Corner Infield slot. I'm probably a little lower on Gurriel then most, but I'm expecting some serious power regression. Same with Santana in terms of batting avg. regression. Love Voit as a late round value. Wouldn't be surprised if his production is closer to Tier 3 value. 

TIER 1

Bellinger, Freeman

TIER 2

Alonso, Rizzo

TIER 3 
Olson, Goldschmidt, Abreu, Bell

TIER 4

LeMahieu, Mancini, Muncy

TIER 5

Hoskins, C.Santana, Y.Gurriel, Encarnacion, Voit

TIER 6

D.Santana, Pederson, Walker, Hosmer, Nunez

Made some adjustments last night...

TIER 1 - Bellinger, Freeman

TIER 2 - Alonso, Olson

TIER 3 - Rizzo, Bell, Goldy, Abreu

TIER 4 - Mancini LeMahiueu, Muncy

TIER 5 - Santana, Hoskins, Sano, Encarnacion

TIER 6 - Gurriel, Voit, Santana, Walker, Nunez, Pederson, Hosmer

On 2/25/2020 at 9:28 AM, jmcampbe11 said:

Made some adjustments last night...

TIER 1 - Bellinger, Freeman

TIER 2 - Alonso, Olson

TIER 3 - Rizzo, Bell, Goldy, Abreu

TIER 4 - Mancini LeMahiueu, Muncy

TIER 5 - Santana, Hoskins, Sano, Encarnacion

TIER 6 - Gurriel, Voit, Santana, Walker, Nunez, Pederson, Hosmer

Replace Voit with Ford and it’s good 👍

Pederson is one where league context is important.  He helped win me a daily roster league last year. On a per game basis, he might be tier 3, even higher in OBP or OPS formats as BA is a drain in standard. Have to have an option when he hits lefties, so need bench spots to store some depth. But in a OBP or OPS daily league with at least some bench depth, he’s a steal where he is going in drafts. 

Edited by bluefrogguy
20 minutes ago, bluefrogguy said:

Pederson is one where league context is important.  He helped win me a daily roster league last year. On a per game basis, he might be tier 3, even higher in OBP or OPS formats as BA is a drain in standard. Have to have an option when he hits lefties, so need bench spots to store some depth. But in a OBP or OPS daily league with at least some bench depth, he’s a steal where he is going in drafts. 

Agreed. I personally don't have the patience to rotate offensive players in and out every single day (aside from off days), but if you're committed to the strategy Pederson's a solid value. Same goes for a player like Schwarber as well. In my main league we only have three bench slots and more often than not they're occupied my MRs to try and keep up in the saves+holds category. 

On 2/25/2020 at 1:13 PM, jmcampbe11 said:

Pretty deep. Even some of the tier 5 guys have some pretty big upside. Sano "could" be just as valuable as Alonso and Olson. 

Deep, but not by usual standards. I like the quality of depth much more at the other positions. Seems the 12th guy (starter in 12 team league) is a “tier 3” type guy everywhere else. This depth is meh.

To me this is an advertisement for Bellinger. Take him at 3 or 4, as he’s far and away the best player here. After him (and of course Freeman and another one or two I suppose), you wait a long time. Because guys 4-15 are some combination of .250-.270 with 26-35 HRs. 

My tiers would be:

Tier 1- Bellinger 

Tier 2- Freeman

Tier 3A- Alonso

Tier 3B-6- All others

Edited by Backdoor Slider
14 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Sure don’t dispute that. I just think Ford is a better hitter and fit and will ultimately take the job. Just my opinion 

Voit looked great at the end of the 2018 season and it carried over into 2019 before he got hurt. He also hits both righties and lefties so I don't think there's a chance of a platoon. I'm not sure what the hang-up is with him. He seems like a better version of Dan Vogelbach to me.    

5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Deep, but not by usual standards. I like the quality of depth much more at the other positions. Seems the 12th guy (starter in 12 team league) is a “tier 3” type guy everywhere else. This depth is meh.

To me this is an advertisement for Bellinger. Take him at 3 or 4, as he’s far and away the best player here. After him (and of course Freeman and another one or two I suppose), you wait a long time. Because guys 4-15 are some combination of .250-.270 with 26-35 HRs. 

My tiers would be:

Tier 1- Bellinger 

Tier 2- Freeman

Tier 3A- Alonso

Tier 3B-6- All others

If I'm going to nitpick, Bellinger's just one season removed from a .260 batting average. if he regresses in that category then gap between him and the others is much smaller. Also, there's a very good chance that Alonso, Olson, and Sano are the exact same player this season. 

Just now, jmcampbe11 said:

If I'm going to nitpick, Bellinger's just one season removed from a .260 batting average. if he regresses in that category then gap between him and the others is much smaller. Also, there's a very good chance that Alonso, Olson, and Sano are the exact same player this season. 

Bellinger is still just 24 and in arguably the best lineup in baseball. Even if he regresses in BA, give me the counting stats and 15 SBs he provides. He’s far and away number 1 here.

Also, we have guys that are reliant on the HR ball and had one big season with a juiced ball. I can count on Bellinger and Freeman to produce no matter the ball. If Alonso or Olson or Samp lose 5-6 HRs...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

If I'm going to nitpick, Bellinger's just one season removed from a .260 batting average.

He's also cut his K% every season and has improved his BB% significantly since he entered the league as well.  His xBA last season was .323, so by that metric, he was a little bit unlucky.  He's run basically a .300 BABIP every year due to his speed and how hard he hits the ball.  Maybe he doesn't hit .305 this year, but I'd lay money on him being closer to .280 than .260.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Agreed. I personally don't have the patience to rotate offensive players in and out every single day (aside from off days), but if you're committed to the strategy Pederson's a solid value. Same goes for a player like Schwarber as well. In my main league we only have three bench slots and more often than not they're occupied my MRs to try and keep up in the saves+holds category. 

Yeah- it's league and owner dependent.  In that format, no way I'd target him.  Those roster slots too valuable to have to carry another 1B.  One good thing with him is that because he is so predictable as to when he sits, you can set your daily lineups all at once at the beginning of the week rather than every day based on the starting pitcher.  There are other guys who have good $/G values (like say, Braun) where it is almost random when they sit, and you have to check game lineups everyday- that is unattractive for all but the totally obsessed fantasy player.  

3 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Voit looked great at the end of the 2018 season and it carried over into 2019 before he got hurt. He also hits both righties and lefties so I don't think there's a chance of a platoon. I'm not sure what the hang-up is with him. He seems like a better version of Dan Vogelbach to me.    

It’s not so much a hang up with him but rather everything in their profiles suggests Ford is a superior hitter including power. And that’s true even if just looking at Voit’s hot start. And Ford is a lefty at Yankee Stadium.

3 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Regarding the platoon, I would say it’s more likely than not at this point given the tea leaves that Ford will break camp with the club.

55 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Regarding the platoon, I would say it’s more likely than not at this point given the tea leaves that Ford will break camp with the club.

If Stanton opens the year on the IL it only increases the chances Ford gets more time. I still think Voit will be the starter a majority of the time, at least to start the year. I think Ford makes a nice flier in case he somehow wins the job or another injury occurs, or even a trade. But Voit is also at a nice price right now given how great he was when he was healthy. Voit regained the starting job when he came back last year, no reason he wouldn't open camp with it. Wouldn't mind having a team or two with Voit and Ford both on the same team to cover either side. Both are average risks but also should each have a healthy on base percentage.

• Like 1
On 2/18/2020 at 2:36 PM, Cmilne23 said:

Gurriel probably benefited from trash cans more than anyone.  Dude couldn’t lift ball out of infield in 2018, and last year went on a Barry Bonds like second half run.  Not happening again.  I would be shocked if he surpasses 12 homers. Would take everyone behind him on that list outside of maybe Walker and the Oriole.  

He hit 12 home runs on the road alone last year, so I'm easily taking the over on 12 if he's healthy.  He obviously had an unsustainable surge in the 2nd half with or without trashcans.  

Take this for what it's worth, but I have my own rankings that takes projections(PMB),  and identifies likely breakout candidates (works great for Major league hitters and good for pitchers) It's not intended for prospects without major league experience.  For example last year it nailed Kepler, Carlos Santana, Jeremy McNeil, and Josh Bell to name a few.  It's meant to identify value and hitters that will consistently perform and not negatively impact your team.  It does not favor folks who steals bases and works best for H2H with OBP. 

Long story short: Rizzo will be a tier 1 1B this year.  Worse case he will be consistent on a weekly basis and not hurt you team.  But I'm guaranteeing a tier 1 performance this season.  I'm not a cubs fan and a past owner(some years) of Rizzo that experienced him not meeting expectations so not a fan boy.  

Edited by myzto
3 hours ago, myzto said:

Take this for what it's worth, but I have my own rankings that takes projections(PMB),  and identifies likely breakout candidates (works great for Major league hitters and good for pitchers) It's not intended for prospects without major league experience.  For example last year it nailed Kepler, Carlos Santana, Jeremy McNeil, and Josh Bell to name a few.  It's meant to identify value and hitters that will consistently perform and not negatively impact your team.  It does not favor folks who steals bases and works best for H2H with OBP. 

Long story short: Rizzo will be a tier 1 1B this year.  Worse case he will be consistent on a weekly basis and not hurt you team.  But I'm guaranteeing a tier 1 performance this season.  I'm not a cubs fan and a past owner(some years) of Rizzo that experienced him not meeting expectations so not a fan boy.  

There is literally nothing that suggests a Rizzo breakout. He is what he is. Also, congrats on nailing Jeremy McNeil. What sport does he play? 

• Haha 1