NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 Middle Relievers Thread

Hey guys, I am playing fantasy baseball for the first time in 10 years and I am a bit out of the loop when it comes to players these days. When I used to play in roto leagues in the past I always found it valuable to draft several elite relievers that pitched in a setup role. I could get them late in the draft and they would be able to provide elite ERA, WHIP, and strikeouts with the occasional win or possibly save. That being said, could someone tell me if this is still a good strategy these days? Also, who are the top non-closer relief pitchers that fantasy owners should target?

• Like 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to 2020 Middle Relievers Thread
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

James Karinchak. You guys will know his name by the end of 2020.

I was putting together a list of Holds guys the other day and I thought I'd share. Using Fangraphs' Depth Chart Projections, I sorted out the guys projected for 12 or more Holds and then sorted by K/B

Here’s a list of guys that are among the leaders in k-bb%, xFIP, SIERA, and have either been getting holds or have been in critical game situations of late that could be available in your league:

Of course this depends on the league but this can certainly work well. Some guys I really like are Pressly, Lugo, Anderson (if he’s not the closer in TB), Emilio Pagan, Will Smith, Ottavino, Bummer, Betances, Kahle, Stanek, Chad Green, and many more. There are so many good ones out there that most teams will ignore in favor of the closers. 

On 2/21/2020 at 4:52 PM, Jyeatbvg said:

Favourite thread of the year. Hell ya mf’ers!

I love this thread, too. Playing in a roto league a season-long innings cap, we end up having to roster MRs unless we can somehow get a bunch of closers. I'm always on the lookout for elite MRs to help with ratios and have great K/9. 

Early 2020 sleeper mid-RP: Dellin Betances (RP - NYM).

Career 14.64% K%, 2.36 ERA, 1.04 WHIP.  Throws a hard four-seamer usually in the high 90s which he pairs with a curve and slider.

Injury last season was to his achilles, nothing related to his arm, and he slots in before Lugo and Diaz in the pecking order.

ADP is #369, so free, but in HLDs leagues or SV+HLD he may go before the last round.

60 IP: 2.75 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 75 K is very doable IMO with room in the Ks.  Should get 20+ HLDs pretty easily.

1 hour ago, UberRebel said:

James Karinchak. You guys will know his name by the end of 2020.

Yes, I was just about to post about him...I am in a hold and saves league so I just punt saves and make sure I win the hold category...While everyone is chasing closers I draft high upside hitters and if one of my closers get the closers' role, I can usually flip him...So this thread is awesome!   

This is my favorite thread every year. My damn league drafted so early this season so I have a lot of makeup to do. All the pitchers posted so far are already taken. Will be following this closely. Here’s pitchers list holds list https://www.pitcherlist.com/top-90-relievers-for-holds-in-fantasy-baseball-for-2020/

Edited by hoops886
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I was putting together a list of Holds guys the other day and I thought I'd share. Using Fangraphs' Depth Chart Projections, I sorted out the guys projected for 12 or more Holds and then sorted by K/BB and came up with this list. By no means is it perfect, but it outlines some guys to look at further.

Brent Suter
Emilio Pagan
Seth Lugo
Chad Green
Ryan Pressly
Yimi Garcia
Yusmeiro Petit
Tyler Duffey
Will Harris
Craig Stammen
Matt Strahm
Tommy Hunter
Chris Devenski
Sam Gaviglio
Joe Smith
Oliver Perez
Emmanuel Clase (injured)
Rafael Montero
Nick Wittgren
John Brebbia
Ty Buttrey
Jesse Chavez
Diego Castillo
Joakim Soria
Sergio Romo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
13 minutes ago, CraigB56 said:

I was putting together a list of Holds guys the other day and I thought I'd share. Using Fangraphs' Depth Chart Projections, I sorted out the guys projected for 12 or more Holds and then sorted by K/BB and came up with this list. By no means is it perfect, but it outlines some guys to look at further.

Brent Suter
Emilio Pagan
Seth Lugo
Chad Green
Ryan Pressly
Yimi Garcia
Yusmeiro Petit
Tyler Duffey
Will Harris
Craig Stammen
Matt Strahm
Tommy Hunter
Chris Devenski
Sam Gaviglio
Joe Smith
Oliver Perez
Emmanuel Clase (injured)
Rafael Montero
Nick Wittgren
John Brebbia
Ty Buttrey
Jesse Chavez
Diego Castillo
Joakim Soria
Sergio Romo

Thanks for your work @CraigB56!

1 hour ago, CraigB56 said:

Brent Suter
Emilio Pagan
Seth Lugo
Chad Green
Ryan Pressly
Yimi Garcia
Yusmeiro Petit
Tyler Duffey
Will Harris
Craig Stammen
Matt Strahm
Tommy Hunter
Chris Devenski
Sam Gaviglio
Joe Smith
Oliver Perez
Emmanuel Clase (injured)
Rafael Montero
Nick Wittgren
John Brebbia
Ty Buttrey
Jesse Chavez
Diego Castillo
Joakim Soria
Sergio Romo

surprised to see Clase here and not Karinchak

• Like 3
1 hour ago, CraigB56 said:

Brent Suter
Emilio Pagan
Seth Lugo
Chad Green
Ryan Pressly
Yimi Garcia
Yusmeiro Petit
Tyler Duffey
Will Harris
Craig Stammen
Matt Strahm
Tommy Hunter
Chris Devenski
Sam Gaviglio
Joe Smith
Oliver Perez
Emmanuel Clase (injured)
Rafael Montero
Nick Wittgren
John Brebbia
Ty Buttrey
Jesse Chavez
Diego Castillo
Joakim Soria
Sergio Romo

Thanks for this list, for the yahoo crowd I highlighted the pitchers with SP/RP eligibility. I believe it would apply to ESPN also but not 100% certain.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, turner46 said:

Thanks for this list, for the yahoo crowd I highlighted the pitchers with SP/RP eligibility. I believe it would apply to ESPN also but not 100% certain.

Thanks for the list and the yahoo highlights on eligibility 

Bryan Abreu fanned four in two scoreless innings Thursday versus Boston.

Abreu has allowed three hits, walked two and struck out 12 in 6 2/3 scoreless frames this spring. He's no higher than third in line for a spot in Houston's rotation, which is probably for the best given that he's never topped 100 innings in his career. He could be a force out of the pen if the team wants to go that route.

Mar 5, 2020, 3:54 PM ET
  •  

I think Bryan good upside as a middle reliever if he makes the Astros pen.  I think and hope he has a future as a starter though long term.

• 2 weeks later...