NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 Middle Relievers Thread

Hunter Harvey out of Baltimore. RP for now, but could be a dark horse for saves and most definitely will see hold chances in the early going.

"Harvey averaged over 98 mph on his fastball, and we pretty much know who Mychal Givens is at this point, so Harvey seems like the arm to own in the Baltimore bullpen even if Hyde did stop short of naming Harvey the primary closer."

It sounds like he has nasty stuff and I believe he hit 100 last season in his brief stint with the big league club.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

James Karinchak. You guys will know his name by the end of 2020.

I was putting together a list of Holds guys the other day and I thought I'd share. Using Fangraphs' Depth Chart Projections, I sorted out the guys projected for 12 or more Holds and then sorted by K/B

Here’s a list of guys that are among the leaders in k-bb%, xFIP, SIERA, and have either been getting holds or have been in critical game situations of late that could be available in your league:

21 minutes ago, nlm said:

Hunter Harvey out of Baltimore. RP for now, but could be a dark horse for saves and most definitely will see hold chances in the early going.

"Harvey averaged over 98 mph on his fastball, and we pretty much know who Mychal Givens is at this point, so Harvey seems like the arm to own in the Baltimore bullpen even if Hyde did stop short of naming Harvey the primary closer."

It sounds like he has nasty stuff and I believe he hit 100 last season in his brief stint with the big league club.

Drafted this kid...gobs of potential in a holds league and a cats H2H...Givens is even on the wire...speaks volumes...

On 2/27/2020 at 11:41 AM, Blood Brother said:

his stock gets even more of a bump with the news of Emmanuel Clase being out 8-12 weeks with a back strain

Perfect guy for holds...he will Hand it off to Brad very nicely...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Clase was an exciting prospect. That Kluber trade looks even worse now.

How can a trade look this bad without a single pitch thrown!?

• Thanks 1
On 5/1/2020 at 5:00 PM, chucky said:

Looks like a big bump for Karinchak. Let’s not forget Nick Wittgren

I kinda always saw Karinchak as the main guy so doesn’t really change anything for me

Edited by UberRebel

Speaking of middle relievers, if there was ever a year to not pay for closers, this could be it if baseball is played.

Double headers means everyone will get a crack at saves. Closers can’t pitch twice in a day

• Like 1
6 hours ago, UberRebel said:

Speaking of middle relievers, if there was ever a year to not pay for closers, this could be it if baseball is played.

Double headers means everyone will get a crack at saves. Closers can’t pitch twice in a day

really?, I did not realize this was a rule

2 saves by one player in one day have been achieved 135 times in Baseball history.

Mo Rivera did it 4x.  All time record is Sparky Lyle w/ 5 according to Baseball Ref.

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

2 saves by one player in one day have been achieved 135 times in Baseball history.

Mo Rivera did it 4x.  All time record is Sparky Lyle w/ 5 according to Baseball Ref.

And not only that, but how many other countless times has it been attempted with the closer either blowing one or even both saves..lol

14 hours ago, UberRebel said:

Yeah, I went heavy risk/reward/upside picks, reaching early and often. Worst case scenario it costs me a roster spot until I need it. If there was ever a year to strategize outside the box, this is probably it. Middle guys will get W's too. Starters may be called upon for 4-5 inning stints. Chances are the lead will change hands in those all important middle innings as lesser ranked middle relievers will be called upon. I play in a S+H league so I grabbed zero closers and went for ratio and K guys. Your right, everyone will get a chance to save. Plus a Hold is as good as a Save, so why pay for Saves when you can grab a Karinchak, Bummer, Pomeranz much later.

• 2 months later...

Dodgers reliever Brusdar Graterol made the roster. Someone to watch with his outstanding swing-and-miss stuff. May get a shot at high-leverage situations eventually. 

51 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Who are your top 5 relievers for holds?

Not necessarily a top 5 but here are guys I was eyeing that I felt would be elite this year and were somewhat unknown

James Karinchak

Emmanuel Clase (suspended season)

Austin Adams (done for season)

Nick Burdi (back from injury)

Tyler Rogers (interesting stuff)

Someone mentioned Brusdar earlier and I agree he's someone to watch

Edited by UberRebel
38 minutes ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

In a deep league where category is S+H (save=1, hold =0.5) so right now for looking at Bummer, Hudson, and Burdi. Any preference among my fantasy people? Or, is there someone glaring I should go with?

I would go with the guy who K’d 3 on Sunday. Nick Burdi. Let’s hope he stays healthy and keeps the walks down

On 7/24/2020 at 5:25 PM, gbill2004 said:

Who are your top 5 relievers for holds?

My top 5, in no particular order. 

1) Ottavino

2) Anderson (I think he'll get more holds than saves)

3) Pressly

4) Lugo

5) Gallegos (If Kim keeps the closer's job)

Edited by jmcampbe11
20 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

My top 5, in no particular order. 

1) Ottavino

2) Anderson (I think he'll get more holds than saves)

3) Pressly

4) Lugo

5) Gallegos (If Kim keeps the closer's job)

Why Ottavino over the other Yankees relievers? 

Petit is a great source for ratios in deeper leagues because he has notably higher volume than other relievers since he often goes multiple innings. He isn't a strikeout guy but he is reliable to have for strong ratios.