NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

7 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

In NYC and I have yet to order a pizza or any other takeout. I am going through withdrawal.

I bet.. hang in there and stay safe.  I just tried to get some Chinese but tried like 10 places and all are closed.  Many of them with answering machines saying they're closed due to COVID19.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crazy with no sports. Talked to my wife last night.  Apparently works in HR. Nice girl. 

Giancarlo Stanton just sprained his wrist washing his hands

This is the rant of someone who’s never had to sacrifice anything or even think about anyone other than themself. Just grotesque.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

You need a taxable wage base to continue to provide unemployment benefits, unemployment is funded by employers to the state based on their employees salaries, which are dependent on revenue.

It's not an inexhaustible kitty.

Essential jobs are still running during a complete lockdown which apparently involves everything down to landscaping. Washington has a stay at home order and traffic is basically exactly the same. 

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu

[ Posts edited/removed.  This thread will not be a referendum on a particular user's claim of contracting a virus.  If you'd like to have that conversation, do it via PM. ]

1 hour ago, Hanghow said:

Trump's strolled out and told the nation everything's fine dozens of times in the last few months; if you think the country is waiting with baited breath to see when he'll let us get back to normal, you're sorely mistaken. There are some Republican-led holdout states, but any state with Democratic leadership and even several with Republican leadership (Ohio and Utah, for example) are not going back to normal just because Trump said so.

Gotta love how he deferred EVERYTHING to the states but wants to dictate when things open back up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Essential jobs are still running during a complete lockdown which apparently involves everything down to landscaping. Washington has a stay at home order and traffic is basically exactly the same. 

13.6 million people have claimed first time unemployment in the past two weeks.

Some folks are speculating that we're going to be at 30% unemployment, higher than levels during the great depression.  There's going to be a serious economic problem if you're anticipating that many people not collecting a check, not paying taxes, and receiving funds from the government for 18 months.

I just don't see how that works.

Edited by JE7HorseGod

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/opinion-i-ve-read-the-plans-to-reopen-the-economy-they-re-scary/ar-BB12rl2r?ocid=ob-fb-enus-894

It's an opinion piece(some bias), but it's based on opinions from multiple sources, names the sources and has the links to those opinions. For those who would like to read without clicking on the link above go to msn.com or Vox.com where the article originated.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

13.6 million people have claimed first time unemployment in the past two weeks.

Some folks are speculating that we're going to be at 30% unemployment, higher than levels during the great depression.  There's going to be a serious economic problem if you're anticipating that many people not collecting a check, not paying taxes, and receiving funds from the government for 18 months.

I just don't see how that works.

And I don’t see how relaxing restrictions are going to work when we have only test 1 out of every 165 people in the US currently. That will cause untold amounts of death among anyone with an underlying condition, which just with obesity, 40% of the US  adult already have. 

Edited by daynlokki
2 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

And I don’t see how relaxing restrictions are going to work when we have only test 1 out of every 165 people in the US currently. That will cause untold amounts of death among anyone with an underlying condition, which just with obesity, 40% of the US  adult already have. 

We've already ramped up test kit manufacturing and ancillary lab testing materials.  Work isn't done yet but it is progressing.

What is status quo today will hopefully not be three weeks or two or six months from now.

But if you're imagining a world where we all stay home and collect checks from the government til we are all vaccinated, well, I just don't think that's possible, economically.

We need to be smart, develop ways of understanding where new hot zones are emerging and rapid quarantine procedures.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

We've already ramped up test kit manufacturing and ancillary lab testing materials.  Work isn't done yet but it is progressing.

What is status quo today will hopefully not be three weeks or two or six months from now.

But if you're imagining a world where we all stay home and collect checks from the government til we are all vaccinated, well, I just don't think that's possible, economically.

We need to be smart, develop ways of understanding where new hot zones are emerging and rapid quarantine procedures.

Not saying until we are vaccinated, but at least until there is the ability to receive several tests a week considering the false negative rate. As it is, without further testing people will go back to work and then one person in the office will have symptoms and everyone from that office will be quarantined again. Starts and stops will hurt the economy more than a prolonged full stop right now, especially when it comes to the stock market. You thought the first plunge was bad? Relax social distancing then have to clamp down again. 

Reading up on ideas to get back to normal. How do you guys feel about the plan where they force everyone to download a tracking app on their phone that if you get a positive test, notifies anyone who has been in close contact with you? Seems like a major big brother invasion of privacy that will go nowhere. 
Tracking this will be the hardest part. Without a way to track this that people AGREE with, the testing would need to drastically improve, either by making MANY more tests, or by making those tests far more accurate. Without any of these I don’t see how we can just go back to a normal life. Everywhere that is trying to do that is failing. As soon as we reopen borders to heavy travel it just takes one sick person coming to the US to start it all over again. 

On a side note, anyone think some countries could try to weaponize this once the west starts relaxing restrictions? Travel restrictions work to a point. If you aren’t doing them across the board though there is always a way. 

1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

Not saying until we are vaccinated, but at least until there is the ability to receive several tests a week considering the false negative rate. As it is, without further testing people will go back to work and then one person in the office will have symptoms and everyone from that office will be quarantined again. Starts and stops will hurt the economy more than a prolonged full stop right now, especially when it comes to the stock market. You thought the first plunge was bad? Relax social distancing then have to clamp down again. 

Re: testing, again, that's today.

You have some of the largest corporations in the world with some of the largest labor forces, but human and automated, increasing production of those resources.

Stops and starts will hurt, but quarantined, isolated stops in hot zones are better than the whole world being ground to a halt.

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

You have some of the largest corporations in the world with some of the largest labor forces, but human and automated, increasing production of those resources.

Stops and starts will hurt, but quarantined, isolated stops in hot zones are better than the whole world being ground to a halt.

And yet we are testing maybe 100-200,000 people per day and those with symptoms still can’t get tested. There are reports saying there is a possibility the current tests have a 20% rate of false positive. 
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200409144805.htm

4 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

People travel for work. A lot more than people expect. Tracking hot spots based on what a person remembers doing and who they interacted with is too slow to be much use. It takes one asymptomatic person working for a week in a job that travels to major cities to make this curve much, much worse. Everyone is forgetting this is more contagious and easier to spread than the seasonal flu. 

Edited by daynlokki
27 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

As long as the US Dollar is the safest investment in the world -- and nothing about this crisis has changed that in the currency markets -- the Fed can pretty much print money without creating any appreciable inflationary pressure.  In terms of fiscal stimulus, direct cash aid to people that's spent on basic necessities is a really good bang for the buck -- not nearly as good as people working and creating value with their labor, but under the circumstances, as good as it gets.

I think most reading this want to get everyone back to work ASAP, but the risk of a rebound is not negligible.  I would expect a gradual ramp up in areas that are on the down slope of new infections, and we'll need to strictly monitor those natural experiments for any sign of a spike.

16 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Reading up on ideas to get back to normal. How do you guys feel about the plan where they force everyone to download a tracking app on their phone that if you get a positive test, notifies anyone who has been in close contact with you? Seems like a major big brother invasion of privacy that will go nowhere. 

The number of corporate and government entities that have your identity and whereabouts right now through your smartphone dwarfs the amount of privacy one would lose by consenting to a social distancing tracker.  I would greatly favor a privacy-preserving solution that creates crowdsourced contact tracing data and only notifies people (not the government) when they're putting themselves at risk, but it's funny how little people think about their info being sold to advertisers who do very little for them as compared to something that could potentially save their life and the lives of others.

2 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Tracking this will be the hardest part. Without a way to track this that people AGREE with, the testing would need to drastically improve, either by making MANY more tests, or by making those tests far more accurate. Without any of these I don’t see how we can just go back to a normal life. Everywhere that is trying to do that is failing. As soon as we reopen borders to heavy travel it just takes one sick person coming to the US to start it all over again. 

On a side note, anyone think some countries could try to weaponize this once the west starts relaxing restrictions? Travel restrictions work to a point. If you aren’t doing them across the board though there is always a way. 

I'll only share my answer about the app.  I like it from the point of view as almost like an ankle bracelet for people that are supposed to be quarantined for 2 weeks.   It would be more for authorities to see if people that MUST be staying home arent.   My neighbours came back from a trip and immediately got into their car and went somewhere the next day.  The concept of "please self quarantine for 2 weeks' always seemed like something hundreds of thousands of people wouldn't do   Mind you,I dont know what would stop people from just leaving the house without their phones.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, tonycpsu said:

As long as the US Dollar is the safest investment in the world -- and nothing about this crisis has changed that in the currency markets -- the Fed can pretty much print money without creating any appreciable inflationary pressure.  In terms of fiscal stimulus, direct cash aid to people that's spent on basic necessities is a really good bang for the buck -- not nearly as good as people working and creating value with their labor, but under the circumstances, as good as it gets.

I think most reading this want to get everyone back to work ASAP, but the risk of a rebound is not negligible.  I would expect a gradual ramp up in areas that are on the down slope of new infections, and we'll need to strictly monitor those natural experiments for any sign of a spike.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to pass alarmist rhetoric about hyperinflation.

However, we all know the real risks of 30% unemployment for a year and a half, long term.

It's not as simple as what our dollar is trading for on that day.  It's about what jobs look like tend years from then too.

9 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

People travel for work. A lot more than people expect. Tracking hot spots based on what a person remembers doing and who they interacted with is too slow to be much use. It takes one asymptomatic person working for a week in a job that travels to major cities to make this curve much, much worse. Everyone is forgetting this is more contagious and easier to spread than the seasonal flu. 

I'm not forgetting how contagious it is, how could I?  I'm literally reminded of it every waking second.

But I'm also reminded that millions of people are working diligently to improve the quantity of testing resources.  And I'm reminded that people are counting on me and millions of others to work to produce taxable revenue for the companies we work for.

I’m not suggesting Trump is correct. I honestly don’t follow much of what he says, so I don’t know what he’s pushing for. But I find it strange that everyone blindly loves what “states with Democratic leadership” are doing (stated above).

Take Whitmer here in Michigan. She’s shut down a lot. Mostly good. But one in particular is landscaping companies. She was even pressed on it and didn’t budge because they’ll be stopping to get gas, exchange money, etc. Yay? Let’s think about what’s going to happen.

1) Some who use lawn service don’t have mowers. Their grass gets overgrown, bringing rats/other potential health problems.

and/or

2) People like me have to cut more (for my mother in law for example, who uses service and doesn’t have mower), sending HUNDREDS more to the gas stations, refilling our gas tanks.

Still think this is the right call?

We all understand social distancing and staying indoors and limiting contact, etc. But at some point common sense must be allowed here, instead of blindly cheering for who can shut down the most stuff, as if that’s the marker for a good leader.

Everywhere I look all I see is "Coronavirus" news, and for good reason. I am not trying to downplay this virus, but it is disappointing to come onto these forums and see more of the same, where I thought I could get away from all the news and media and look at some fantasy baseball. The player threads on here are hardly getting any posts and this forum has turned into a coronavirus discussion. 

4 minutes ago, Willsea33 said:

Everywhere I look all I see is "Coronavirus" news, and for good reason. I am not trying to downplay this virus, but it is disappointing to come onto these forums and see more of the same, where I thought I could get away from all the news and media and look at some fantasy baseball. The player threads on here are hardly getting any posts and this forum has turned into a coronavirus discussion. 

It’s kinda taken over all of our lives right now. And there’s no much player news lol.

But honestly, you don’t have to click on this thread, and feel free to add to some player threads to get discussion going. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 3
2 hours ago, duke of queens said:

In NYC and I have yet to order a pizza or any other takeout. I am going through withdrawal.

Make sure it's got good flop. One bite, everyone knows the rules.

2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I bet.. hang in there and stay safe.  I just tried to get some Chinese but tried like 10 places and all are closed.  Many of them with answering machines saying they're closed due to COVID19.

Come upstate. We got what you need, playa.

8 minutes ago, Willsea33 said:

sorry bro let me go ahead and talk about the outlook for players during a season that isnt actually going to happen.

Come on, man. We are all here because we have similar interests and are, presumably. similar people. A lot of us are locked down in our houses and don't have regular contact with those people similar to us that we know well, AKA our friends. What do you expect? I appreciate all of the COVID discussions here because it is a good way to learn about how other people in my demographic view this entire unprecedented event. Oh, and also, sports isn't actually happening right now. And it's very likely it won't be anytime this year. What do you want from us during a time like this?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

But not anywhere near what the administration is saying.  There are flaws in the tests -- see below.  But also it is more complicated than that. 

Our state's governor (a republican by the way) gave a news conference yesterday and he was pissed.  He said the state received all of a mere 33 of the "new" (quicker) test kits.  However you need a cartridge inserted for each separate test.  Like bullets for a gun as it were.  The state only received 150 cartridges.  And you are required to use 25 of these to just set up one machine to calibrate it out of the box. 

So they took 50 of those precious cartridges and calibrated just two of the machines and sent them to two different parts of the state with only 50 cartridges each so now we can test all of 100 people total in the whole entire state while the other 31 machines sit uselessly on the shelf. 

He didn't know if anyone had told any company to ramp up and/or start manufacturing cartridges for this new machine or not but he couldn't find any more cartridges to order from anywhere as of right now.

There is no coordination at the federal level on anything.  This is a crazy patchwork quilt of every state trying to fend for itself which has resulted in not enough manufacturing going on since governors can't order factories to produce things and no overall plan.  Then there is the insanity that dealing with this at the state level means states have to bid against each other AND the federal government raising the prices.  And if the government gets supplies up to half of those are turned over to private middle man companies to be re-sold to the states.  The US government should bid as one for us all and use it's weight to get the most and the cheapest price then distribute it directly themselves to the states.

This is the UNITED States of America.  We need a strong federal approach.  That is what the federal government's first and foremost job is.  To protect and defend all of us.  We need a professional from the military to act as the one and only overall quartermaster to distribute these things via an organized military chain of command.  They are the experts on logistics.  Instead the one real quartermaster is constantly pushed aside by a small committee of political appointees and rank amateurs and nothing is getting made in time nor distributed in any logical fashion.  This has been a real clusterf***.

57 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

And yet we are testing maybe 100-200,000 people per day and those with symptoms still can’t get tested. There are reports saying there is a possibility the current tests have a 20% rate of false positive. 
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200409144805.htm

There is also a recent one saying up to 30% of the results could be wrong.  And some early surveys of the new immune antibodies test show it is even more unreliable.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, daynlokki said:

[...]

That has not been my experience.

56 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I'll only share my answer about the app.  I like it from the point of view as almost like an ankle bracelet for people that are supposed to be quarantined for 2 weeks.   It would be more for authorities to see if people that MUST be staying home arent.   My neighbours came back from a trip and immediately got into their car and went somewhere the next day.  The concept of "please self quarantine for 2 weeks' always seemed like something hundreds of thousands of people wouldn't do   Mind you,I dont know what would stop people from just leaving the house without their phones.

You kidding, my wife can't go 90 seconds without her phone.  No way she's going all the way to the grocery store without it. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1