NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

On a baseball note Proposed divisions if they play this year are very interesting. I would love to see it for one year, everything else is upside down so why not this.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/mlb-reportedly-considering-realigning-leagues-divisions-2020-season

Maybe this is Mother Nature's way of getting us back for killing the planet.

Edited by azeri98
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crazy with no sports. Talked to my wife last night.  Apparently works in HR. Nice girl. 

Giancarlo Stanton just sprained his wrist washing his hands

This is the rant of someone who’s never had to sacrifice anything or even think about anyone other than themself. Just grotesque.

Posted Images

My biggest concern with countries lifting restrictions is on the travel restricitons. These in my humble non-educated opinion should remain in place for a rather long time and could be the cause for potential outbreaks in the future.. big mistake to lift these.

17 hours ago, daynlokki said:

The world is shut down. How is that not already putting us in a global depression. It’s shut down to the point India can actually see the Himalayas again for the first time in decades. Yes it does work. But if 80% of the USA era infected with this virus we will have a death toll in the millions, not thousands. Exports are needed MUCH less right now as nobody is spending as much money worldwide on goods. That should be common sense. If the sky is falling because the economy is in a tailspin purely because of a lack of consumerism, that’s not just going to be happening in the US. That’s happening worldwide. There is a reason we currently have crops rotting: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsman/2020/04/06/lettuce-left-to-die-in-california-fields-as-produce-demand-withers-under-covid-19/amp/

Direct excerpt: Export demand to big overseas markets, including China, Japan and South Korea is also down as they also deal with the coronavirus. 

How exactly do you know 81% show no symptoms? They aren’t testing people WITH symptoms in the US. Basing it off the Chinese numbers?

The majority of places aren’t enforcing the order. Washington still doesn’t. Kids are playing in parks with their parents daily. Someone tried to call non emergency just to have them go discuss the need for social distancing with them. They said they wouldn’t send an officer. Not enforced. The AG of Kansas told officers not to enforce the closure of churches. That has now been overturned. Yay! Large groups of people happening in the middle of a stay at home order. 

Herd immunity works with the flu because of how long it has been around. There is a reason the Spanish Flu killed between 50-100m worldwide. It’s because it was a novel version of the flu and there was no herd immunity. Yes. We totally want that. 

The world is not shut down 🙄

The 81% is a direct number on CDC’s website. This isn’t the Spanish Flu. Again, without herd immunity we will never get rid of this disease. Did you know that that’s literally what a vaccine does? It makes you immune to the disease. This isn’t rocket science, isolate those at risk and that’s it. Healthy non-senior citizens have less than 1% chance of dying. 

Edited by Thenewwildone8
1 hour ago, jonninho said:

My biggest concern with countries lifting restrictions is on the travel restricitons. These in my humble non-educated opinion should remain in place for a rather long time and could be the cause for potential outbreaks in the future.. big mistake to lift these.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

No doubt ... My money is on 2021. 🙏

We’re definitely getting a season this year and the NFL in the fall. No way everything is cancelled.

• Haha 2
18 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah Sweden has been doing that and the result is they now have the highest death rate from coronavirus among the Scandinavian countries.  There was a big story about it on the news today.  This method does not work.

As I said before they’re not doing what I’m suggesting so the point is moot. Either way there’s going to be deaths, at least with herd immunity it’s cured. What do you think happens once wave after wave of quarantines take place? More and more deaths and likely far more than herd immunity.

3 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

As I said before they’re not doing what I’m suggesting so the point is moot. Either way there’s going to be deaths, at least with herd immunity it’s cured. What do you think happens once wave after wave of quarantines take place? More and more deaths and likely far more than herd immunity.

Doesn't herd immunity also helped along with a vaccine?  Or without the vaccine are you content with the idea of 3+ people of every 100 dying? 

We are, at least, a year away from herd immunity kicking in due to the percentage of the herd having the antibodies necessary to even make it a relevant defense.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

Hope so, doubt it 

My logic is that too much money is lost in not having the season. It’s not like the NBA or the NHL where most of the season was already played. This would be unprecedented as a season has never been entirely cancelled, not over the Spanish flu, not when most of the star players were drafted during the war... Also leagues in Europe are planning to start again next month. We’re supposedly at our peak now, so I think we get a season.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Doesn't herd immunity also helped along with a vaccine?  Or without the vaccine are you content with the idea of 3+ people of every 100 dying? 

Technically a vaccine is a form of immunity. Herd immunity works without one, again the jey is quarantining those at risk. Healthy people who aren’t seniors have a 1% rate of dying and 81% have no serious symptoms (this number includes seniors so it may actually be a lot higher). 

2 hours ago, Jub Jub said:

Thanks.  Really good article.  But they left off in citing the types of "service workers" needed the obvious one again because no way do the overwhelming majority of ball players remain celibate for up to 5 months.  Those workers would probably need as much hotel space as the players and coaches and just as many daily tests.  (Kudos to the few remaining straight arrows in baseball but they are a dying breed).

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Thanks.  Really good article.  But they left off in citing the types of "service workers" needed the obvious one again because no way do the overwhelming majority of ball players remain celibate for up to 5 months.  Those workers would probably need as much hotel space as the players and coaches and just as many daily tests.  (Kudos to the few remaining straight arrows in baseball but they are a dying breed).

The article misses a lot of valid points such as the fact that sports leagues in Europe are set to restart next month, so they can but we can’t? Also never underestimate how much billionaire owners will do to save their pocketbooks. The season is happening.

8 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

I mean that’s it that’s the actual death number. I personally think it’s gonna be higher considering the US only has about 27k recoveries compared to about 19k deaths so far. The critical case number continues to go up despite the deaths falling off that number every day. 

4 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Technically a vaccine is a form of immunity. Herd immunity works without one, again the jey is quarantining those at risk. Healthy people who aren’t seniors have a 1% rate of dying and 81% have no serious symptoms (this number includes seniors so it may actually be a lot higher). 

Ok let’s quarantine those at risk. So the elderly, and anyone with underlying conditions. Sooooo... over 50% of the US population. But wait... you need about 80% of the population to get sick for herd immunity. So let’s just send out 60% of those you are saying to quarantine so they can potentially die. Herd immunity reached. But wait... we have herd immunity with the seasonal flu and thousands still die every year. Yes... because herd immunity doesn’t always work well. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

My logic is that too much money is lost in not having the season. It’s not like the NBA or the NHL where most of the season was already played. This would be unprecedented as a season has never been entirely cancelled, not over the Spanish flu, not when most of the star players were drafted during the war... Also leagues in Europe are planning to start again next month. We’re supposedly at our peak now, so I think we get a season.

They are actually postponing those dates in many cases.  Germany has climbed and now fourth in the world in corona deaths right behind the US, Italy and Spain.  (Yes probably China but we lack the data there).

Also South Korea and Japan have both put their baseball seasons on hold again as Japan is experiencing a wicked bad beginning of a second wave that could be far first than the first and is shutting down completely.  Singapore, the model during the first wave, is starting up again too.  Stopping social distancing and lockdowns too soon leads to more lockdowns in the end because it leads to second waves.

And it isn't an apex.  It is a long plateau at best.  And it takes off again upwards if social distancing and such is kicked aside too soon to, among other things, play a mere game that is NOT essential to the the greater good of society and could definitely lead to people dying.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

The 81% is a direct number on CDC’s website

You mean here?

image.thumb.png.53bfb1cdf1cc95a25e4f78bcf766925e.png

If so, that's what I meant by saying you were conflating relatively mild symptoms with being asymptomatic.  The fact that you can't tell the difference suggests you're not in a position to be speaking with any authority on this subject.

37 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Technically a vaccine is a form of immunity.

Widespread availability of a vaccine helps achieve herd immunity by giving people the antibodies without giving them the disease.  The alternative you're arguing for, whether you're willing to admit it or not, is giving more people the disease.  They are not the same, because in one case, people get sick, and in the other, they do not.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

You mean here?

image.thumb.png.53bfb1cdf1cc95a25e4f78bcf766925e.png

If so, that's what I meant by saying you were conflating relatively mild symptoms with being asymptomatic.  The fact that you can't tell the difference suggests you're not in a position to be speaking with any authority on this subject.

That’s also based in numbers that China released. Seems we should take them at their word despite them lying about the virus several times. 

28 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

The article misses a lot of valid points such as the fact that sports leagues in Europe are set to restart next month, so they can but we can’t? Also never underestimate how much billionaire owners will do to save their pocketbooks. The season is happening.

You’re underestimating the power of the corona. A billionaire owner has no control of a deadly virus. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Your constant suggesting of herd immunity being the best option here is a huge slap in the face to any healthcare workers working their asses off now on the frontlines. If the US just opened everything back up and told the elderly to stay quarantined, do you have any idea what would happen to hospitals, ICUs, ventilators, PPE, doctors, nurses, etc?? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, azeri98 said:

On a baseball note Proposed divisions if they play this year are very interesting. I would love to see it for one year, everything else is upside down so why not this.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/mlb-reportedly-considering-realigning-leagues-divisions-2020-season

Maybe this is Mother Nature's way of getting us back for killing the planet.

So what about AL/NL leagues?

Ugh.

Massive Spike in NYC ‘Cardiac Arrest’ Deaths Seen as Sign of COVID-19 Undercounting

"Cardiac" in this case meaning the patient was dead (no pulse) when first responders arrived, not anything related to cause of death.  Still, it's hard to imagine any other explanation for the ~1,800 excess deaths between 3/20 - 4/5 as compared to the same time last year).

19 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

So what about AL/NL leagues?

Considering Yahoo still has Ohtani as two separate players and locks guys in for doubleheaders all day, consider me skeptical that they will be able to keep up with these kinds of changes well...

• Like 2