Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crazy with no sports. Talked to my wife last night.  Apparently works in HR. Nice girl. 

Giancarlo Stanton just sprained his wrist washing his hands

This is the rant of someone who’s never had to sacrifice anything or even think about anyone other than themself. Just grotesque.

Posted Images

I so badly want baseball. It hurts that we don't have it. But expecting it to start in two states whose governors have treated this whole pandemic as incompetently as possible is feeling like a pipe dream.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

 

Correction: South Korea reporting possible re-infections that could be reactivations (patients thought to have recovered but who then test positive later from the original infection.)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Not good news South Korea reporting re-infectionshttps://globalnews.ca/news/6805414/coronavirus-south-korea-reinfection-canada/

 

Sounds as though "reinfection" is not consensus -

David Kelvin, a professor of microbiology and immunology at Dalhousie University, said reinfection is “unlikely” and there could be several possible explanations for the new cases, including that the individual never completely cleared the original infection or the use of faulty test kits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tonycpsu said:

 

Correction: South Korea reporting possible re-infections that could be reactivations (patients thought to have recovered but who then test positive later from the original infection.)

So how long have they had it then more than a month? Either the tests aren't reliable or the virus stays longer in the patient

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Sounds as though "reinfection" is not consensus -

David Kelvin, a professor of microbiology and immunology at Dalhousie University, said reinfection is “unlikely” and there could be several possible explanations for the new cases, including that the individual never completely cleared the original infection or the use of faulty test kits.

I'm sure it's not but the prospective isn't good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

I'm sure it's not but the prospective isn't good.

There can be a litany of comorbidity reasons why reactivation might be occurring with a virus.

But posting it as reported reinfection doesn't appear to he agreed upon, and an important distinction.

Edited by JE7HorseGod
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

There can be a litany of comorbidity reasons why reactivation might be occurring with a virus.

But posting it as reported reinfection doesn't appear to he agreed upon, and an important distinction.

Either way it's not good, reinfection or the virus staying a lot longer in the patient. i wouldn't see it's a litany 

Edited by azeri98
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

So how long have they had it then more than a month? Either the tests aren't reliable or the virus stays longer in the patient

The amount of recoveries in the US shows it lasts pretty long. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, azeri98 said:

Either way it's not good, reinfection or the virus staying a lot longer in the patient.

What I'm saying is that if we are talking about reactivation, that's the kind of thing we should expect because it can happen with other viruses.  Take for instance mono.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mononucleosis/expert-answers/mononucleosis/faq-20058564

I'm not saying it's good, I'm saying it's not new info on par with reinfection.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

The amount of recoveries in the US shows it lasts pretty long. 

As you've alluded to (frequently) the issue with making that connection might be a lack of test kits, not infection longevity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-04-02/why-are-us-coronavirus-recovery-numbers-so-low%3fcontext=amp

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

As you've alluded to (frequently) the issue with making that connection might be a lack of test kits, not infection longevity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-04-02/why-are-us-coronavirus-recovery-numbers-so-low%3fcontext=amp

There are around 475k active cases, about 27k recoveries since the beginning of the pandemic. You’re saying there are drastically more recoveries because they don’t test enough for them? How do you think someone gets OUT of the hospital? You need several negative tests. 

Edited by daynlokki
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, meh2 said:

Your constant suggesting of herd immunity being the best option here is a huge slap in the face to any healthcare workers working their asses off now on the frontlines. If the US just opened everything back up and told the elderly to stay quarantined, do you have any idea what would happen to hospitals, ICUs, ventilators, PPE, doctors, nurses, etc?? 

First of all, at no point did I ever say that healthcare workers aren’t important or that their work is unappreciated. Next, based on your post it’s clear that you’re working remote/getting a paycheck every week correct? 

 

1. MILLIONS of people are losing their jobs and businesses over this lockdown. These are lives of hardworking people being completely ruined. Have you ever in your life invested your savings in your business and then had it collapse while you have kids to feed? I assume no. It’s easy to get sent home with pay and work remote and to hide out with your sanitizer and mask knowing you’ll see your paycheck next month. People being quarantined is a catastrophe for our economy.

 

2. Have you ever actually seen the CDC official website? If you catch COVID-19, you have an 81% chance of NOT EVEN HAVING SERIOUS SYMPTOMS. 
 

3. The death rate for healthy non-senior citizen individuals is less than 1%. That means that if you’re a regular working American, you have very little chance from dying from corona. You are more likely to get killed by a drunk driver. 

 

4. Quarantine DOES NOT cure the disease. All it does is “flatten the curve”. If you actually google it, you’ll find out that quarantines can lead to wave after wave of new infections and MORE DEATHS.

 

5. The ONLY WAY to actually cure a disease is for people to become immune to it which is how vaccines work. You’re welcome. Now you may have noticed that we currently don’t have a vaccine. Herd immunity is basically the next best thing. 
 

6. Here’s the sad truth: we can quarantine people, then let them out and a new wave happens and more people die. Then we can rinse and repeat until we get a vaccine. We can also just stay home until the vaccine so it comes right with a Great Depression on top of it. Or we can quarantine those at risk and actually fight the disease by getting herd immunity. 
 

7. Oh and do you even know why we’re quarantined now? It’s not to stop the virus, it’s to give hospitals more time to prepare for when they end/loosen the restrictions, which is happening next month. Unlike you I actually work with people in the medical field so unlike your post mine isn’t coming from where the sun doesn’t shine.
 

 

Edited by Thenewwildone8
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shakestreet said:

You’re underestimating the power of the corona. A billionaire owner has no control of a deadly virus. 

It’s not a deadly virus for the athletes or any staff members who aren’t senior citizens or have immune system issues. Again the facts are there: 81% don’t have serious symptoms, 1% of non-at risk individuals die. This isn’t a deadly disease at all for young healthy people, which is coincidentally athletes playing professional sports. A hunch of billionaires can easily create a situation where these athletes play ball in peace. 

Edited by Thenewwildone8
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

It’s not a deadly virus for the athletes or any staff members who aren’t senior citizens or have immune system issues. Again the facts are there: 81% don’t have serious symptoms, 1% of non-at risk individuals die. This isn’t a deadly disease at all for young healthy people, which is coincidentally athletes playing professional sports. A hunch of billionaires can easily create a situation where these athletes play ball in peace. 

So only 90% of the managers. Good to know. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

It’s not a deadly virus for the athletes or any staff members who aren’t senior citizens or have immune system issues. Again the facts are there: 81% don’t have serious symptoms, 1% of non-at risk individuals die. This isn’t a deadly disease at all for young healthy people, which is coincidentally athletes playing professional sports. A hunch of billionaires can easily create a situation where these athletes play ball in peace. 

Pneumonia is pretty serious. That’s in that 81% number you keep touting every five minutes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

First of all, at no point did I ever say that healthcare workers aren’t important or that their work is unappreciated. Next, based on your post it’s clear that you’re working remote/getting a paycheck every week correct? 

 

1. MILLIONS of people are losing their jobs and businesses over this lockdown. These are lives of hardworking people being completely ruined. Have you ever in your life invested your savings in your business and then had it collapse while you have kids to feed? I assume no. It’s easy to get sent home with pay and work remote and to hide out with your sanitizer and mask knowing you’ll see your paycheck next month. People being quarantined is a catastrophe for our economy.

 

2. Have you ever actually seen the CDC official website? If you catch COVID-19, you have an 81% chance of NOT EVEN HAVING SERIOUS SYMPTOMS. 
 

3. The death rate for healthy non-senior citizen individuals is less than 1%. That means that if you’re a regular working American, you have very little chance from dying from corona. You are more likely to get killed by a drunk driver. 

 

4. Quarantine DOES NOT cure the disease. All it does is “flatten the curve”. If you actually google it, you’ll find out that quarantines can lead to wave after wave of new infections and MORE DEATHS.

 

5. The ONLY WAY to actually cure a disease is for people to become immune to it which is how vaccines work. You’re welcome. Now you may have noticed that we currently don’t have a vaccine. Herd immunity is basically the next best thing. 
 

6. Here’s the sad truth: we can quarantine people, then let them out and a new wave happens and more people die. Then we can rinse and repeat until we get a vaccine. We can also just stay home until the vaccine so it comes right with a Great Depression on top of it. Or we can quarantine those at risk and actually fight the disease by getting herd immunity. 
 

7. Oh and do you even know why we’re quarantined now? It’s not to stop the virus, it’s to give hospitals more time to prepare for when they end/loosen the restrictions, which is happening next month. Unlike you I actually work with people in the medical field so unlike your post mine isn’t coming from where the sun doesn’t shine.
 

 

image.jpeg.baf5f497808b57e2cf55881e243c1cf9.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

It’s not a deadly virus for the athletes or any staff members who aren’t senior citizens or have immune system issues. Again the facts are there: 81% don’t have serious symptoms, 1% of non-at risk individuals die. This isn’t a deadly disease at all for young healthy people, which is coincidentally athletes playing professional sports. A hunch of billionaires can easily create a situation where these athletes play ball in peace. 

These athletes aren't super humans and neither are the staff members.  Dusty Baker for example would be at high risk.  There are many MLB players who are cancer survivors and have other health issues they deal with on a daily basis.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

It’s not a deadly virus for the athletes or any staff members who aren’t senior citizens or have immune system issues. Again the facts are there: 81% don’t have serious symptoms, 1% of non-at risk individuals die. This isn’t a deadly disease at all for young healthy people, which is coincidentally athletes playing professional sports. A hunch of billionaires can easily create a situation where these athletes play ball in peace. 

Tell that to Rich Hill. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, daynlokki said:

There are around 475k active cases, about 27k recoveries since the beginning of the pandemic. You’re saying there are drastically more recoveries because they don’t test enough for them? How do you think someone gets OUT of the hospital? You need several negative tests. 

"People are recovering from this, absolutely," says Casey Kelley of Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine. "They absolutely are, and most people will. We just don't have the data because we don't have the manpower to monitor that right now

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not as simple a question as X amount more will die if we come out of quarantine. You have to look at how many people will die or be ruined if we don't too? How many suicides ? How many people turn to drug to alcohol ? How many people lose their jobs and put into squalor which then leads to negative health consequences for them and their children. What are the mental health factors ? You think sending 20-30% of the country to unemployment will have no negative public health impacts ? You don't think that will lead to an increase in deaths ?  It's an ethical dilemma and not an easy problem to solve.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...