Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I think some posters can count their posts in this thread as their doctoral thesis. 

 

Sorry, I'll try to respond using only snarky one-liners and reaction GIFs next time.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crazy with no sports. Talked to my wife last night.  Apparently works in HR. Nice girl. 

Giancarlo Stanton just sprained his wrist washing his hands

This is the rant of someone who’s never had to sacrifice anything or even think about anyone other than themself. Just grotesque.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, tonycpsu said:

 

Sorry, I'll try to respond using only snarky one-liners and reaction GIFs next time.

Ha, it wasnt meant as a jab. I'm really impressed with the depth of some these posts.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

Interesting that the top two countries with the highest percentage of population over 65 years old ( Japan and Italy ) are at almost opposite ends of the COVID19 spectrum.

Am I to assume that Japan has better healthcare and less Chinese visitors ( i.e. less COVID19 exposure ) than Italy? Your thoughts?

 

My Japanese friend once told me  (years ago) that it's a common misconception that when you see people wearing health masks in Japan that it's because they are worried about getting sick, but rather it's going out of their way to make sure others don't get sick because they currently are. Anecdotally speaking, you'd think a culture with that sort of value is more prepared for a pandemic than most. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slatykamora said:

You don't think South Korea and Japan are Transparent?

South Korea definitely not. They censor a lot of their media there. Japan is very private but I don't think they're holding back any COVID19 related info.  Regardless, they're both unquestionably faring much better than the US right now.  Like I said "They (East Asian countries) have dealt with pandemics before, and wear masks on an everyday basis, while most Western countries have not."  They're much better prepared for this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

South Korea definitely not. They censor a lot of their media there. Japan is very private but I don't think they're holding back any COVID19 related info.  Regardless, they're both unquestionably faring much better than the US right now.  Like I said "They (East Asian countries) have dealt with pandemics before, and wear masks on an everyday basis, while most Western countries have not."  They're much better prepared for this.

Yeah...and I said eastern culture was different and South Korea had dealt with stuff like this before in the post you responded to. So you dont disagree with anything I said?

Edited by Slatykamora
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

My Japanese friend once told me  (years ago) that it's a common misconception that when you see people wearing health masks in Japan that it's because they are worried about getting sick, but rather it's going out of their way to make sure others don't get sick because they currently are. Anecdotally speaking, you'd think a culture with that sort of value is more prepared for a pandemic than most. 

Interesting...in the US I think it is the opposite. People were buying masks to prevent getting sick ( healthcare professionals I understand should always wear masks ). I wonder if hospitals were putting masks on patients here to prevent spread which also caused the mass shortages...

Would you say that is the biggest cause of the rampant outbreak in America? Sick people not wearing masks in public and/or staying home?

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

South Korea definitely not. They censor a lot of their media there. Japan is very private but I don't think they're holding back any COVID19 related info.  Regardless, they're both unquestionably faring much better than the US right now.  Like I said "They (East Asian countries) have dealt with pandemics before, and wear masks on an everyday basis, while most Western countries have not."  They're much better prepared for this.

South Korea and Japan are at least reporting the number of COVID19 tests they do. China is the only major country that does not report how many COVID119 tests they have done

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Yeah...and I said eastern culture was different and South Korea had dealt with stuff like this before in the post you responded to. So you dont disagree with anything I said?

I think I only quoted your post to joke about the dentistry part.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Cases and deaths still on the rise.  New projection has NJ peaking in 11 days.

Yep...even here in Michigan where we are not allowed to buy paint. Mitigation and social distancing is not working here too well...I think we need masks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Be on the lookout for upward movement on New York's numbers (and the country's) in the official death toll:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/us/coronavirus-updates.html#link-7edf39e3

Quote

New York City, already an epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, sharply increased its death toll by more than 3,700 on Tuesday, after officials said they were now including people who had never tested positive for the virus but were presumed to have died because of it.

The new figures, released by the city’s Health Department, drove up the number of people killed in New York City to more than 10,000 and appeared to increase the overall United States fatality rate by 17 percent, to more than 26,000. [...]

The revised death toll renewed focus on shortcomings in testing that have hamstrung city and state officials since the beginning of the outbreak. A limited number of tests has been available, and until now, only deaths where a person had tested positive were counted among those killed by the virus in New York.

But for weeks, the Health Department also had been recording additional deaths tied to the virus, according to two people briefed on the matter. Those cases involved people who were presumed to have been infected because of their symptoms and medical histories.

 

I'm certain this is going to lead to a bunch of "juking the stats!@!@!" complaints from some quarters, but unless someone can find another explanation for the spike on the right side of this graph, it seems a lot more sensible to count these presumptive cases as COVID than not for now, and then try to resolve the uncertainty later.

And... wait, what was that revised number for the national death toll again?

Quote

appeared to increase the overall United States fatality rate by 17 percent

 

17 percent... hmmm...

3 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

And how much of a difference are we really talking about here in the revised estimate?  The initial estimate on 3/26 was 81,000 dead in the US, while the latest update says 69,000.  That's roughly a 17% revision, hardly something for model skeptics to be taking a victory lap over considering we haven't hit the peak yet, and considering the model's predicting what the number will be at the end of July.

 

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Cases and deaths still on the rise.  New projection has NJ peaking in 11 days.


Cases are still on the rise in NJ? Deaths are always the last number to fall, so that doesn’t concern me as much in the context of where we are on the curve.

 

Can you provide a link for the case increase? I thought cases in NY and NJ were starting to flatten or even go down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:


Cases are still on the rise in NJ? Deaths are always the last number to fall, so that doesn’t concern me as much in the context of where we are on the curve.

 

Can you provide a link for the case increase? I thought cases in NY and NJ were starting to flatten or even go down. 

 
Today:


Yesterday:


Numbers a bit different than worldometers, maybe due to the times the final reports were made for both.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Edited by MrBrown
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

Interesting...in the US I think it is the opposite. People were buying masks to prevent getting sick ( healthcare professionals I understand should always wear masks ). 

 

 

Yes, because people are dumb. Lot of people wearing masks just to flex without any idea of what the mask is actually doing.  I think it's certainly better to always wear a mask right now, it certainly doesn't hurt, and it will get you to touch your face less, but there's not much of a protection barrier to yourself outside of you inhaling someones direct breath or spit.  You're still breathing the same air when you're out.   I guess those fancy N95 masks matter.a little more, sure.  I recommend wearing a mask, but it's truly preventing the mask wearer from getting someone sick more than from someone getting sick. 

 

2 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

 

Would you say that is the biggest cause of the rampant outbreak in America? Sick people not wearing masks in public and/or staying home?

 

People in densely populated areas being selfish/stupid.

 

By no means are all New York City residents are like this, but I'm sure there are people mass gathering because they don't understand the severity of their actions and can't be bothered from doing what they want to do. I live in L.A. and I seen pictures of block parties for children in certain parts of the city still happening from time to time.  People just don't think the rules apply to them. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

Yep...even here in Michigan where we are not allowed to buy paint. Mitigation and social distancing is not working here too well...I think we need masks.

Because they’re not being followed. Detroit is by far the worst area. Tons of videos of people at parks, playing basketball. And last week when it was 70 degrees out I saw a block party...at least 50 people out grilling, etc. 

Social distancing works if people social distancing. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

Yes, because people are dumb. Lot of people wearing masks just to flex without any idea of what the mask is actually doing.  I think it's certainly better to always wear a mask right now, it certainly doesn't hurt, and it will get you to touch your face less, but there's not much of a protection barrier to yourself outside of you inhaling someones direct breath or spit.  You're still breathing the same air when you're out.   I guess those fancy N95 masks matter.a little more, sure.  I recommend wearing a mask, but it's truly preventing the mask wearer from getting someone sick more than from someone getting sick. 

 

 

People in densely populated areas being selfish/stupid.

 

By no means are all New York City residents are like this, but I'm sure there are people mass gathering because they don't understand the severity of their actions and can't be bothered from doing what they want to do. I live in L.A. and I seen pictures of block parties for children in certain parts of the city still happening from time to time.  People just don't think the rules apply to them. 

People are dumb and wearing masks to flex?  Wow people are so misinformed about masks its crazy. And no its not the people you think.  Masks definitely help to protect people from the virus.  Does anyone think it makes them invincible? I don't think so.  More of the problem is people not wearing the masks correctly. There's no problem with people wearing them and they certainly aren't dumb for their reasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

 Be on the lookout for upward movement on New York's numbers (and the country's) in the official death toll:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/us/coronavirus-updates.html#link-7edf39e3

 

I'm certain this is going to lead to a bunch of "juking the stats!@!@!" complaints from some quarters, but unless someone can find another explanation for the spike on the right side of this graph, it seems a lot more sensible to count these presumptive cases as COVID than not for now, and then try to resolve the uncertainty later.

And... wait, what was that revised number for the national death toll again?

 

17 percent... hmmm...

 

giphy.gif

Do you think they are doing it for money reasons as covid19 is covered by the federal government right now? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...