NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

3 hours ago, merlin401 said:

Trump today:

* ”it’s bad, it’s real bad”

* economy is going into recession 

* prepare for life not to get back to normal until July or August 

* coronavirus is not under control in the USA.

It took a few weeks but looks like reality finally bit him in the a**.  For those who are uninformed and not taking this threat seriously, please start doing so now. Quarantine and such only works if we all buy in together and face this threat responsibly 

Today he also said, and I quote, "but it's something that we have tremendous control over". 

• Haha 5
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crazy with no sports. Talked to my wife last night.  Apparently works in HR. Nice girl. 

Giancarlo Stanton just sprained his wrist washing his hands

This is the rant of someone who’s never had to sacrifice anything or even think about anyone other than themself. Just grotesque.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, FouLLine said:

I'm not watching some video... But feel free to tell me what it says and I'll come back to discuss with you if you'd like.

Overall message was that this is a serious issue not because of politics, money, media, etc...but because of the strain it could put on our healthcare system if it grows too fast. In the US, we have 100k ICU beds, of which 65k are currently in use, leaving 35k per day available for ALL critical issues, not just COVID-19.

20 minutes ago, AJdude said:

We need to cancel the entire 2020 sports calender while we sort out who has it and doesnt know it, and who doesn't know they have it but has it.  Sounds serious.

Sure and let’s all live in a bubble. It’s the end of the world. 

We should know about this and hot weather soon. In the last three days or so it has started taking off in Chile, Australia, Brazil, Qatar, Israel, Pakistan (actually have no idea maybe they aren’t hot weather), Malaysia and maybe even Mexico.  These places were all close to zero a week or two ago and now are into the hundreds (basically where Europe and US was two weeks ago). If they sputter that’s a great sign. If they explode too well... RIP

• Like 4

I saw someone say they've been refreshing the pages of confirmed cases and deaths.  But I've noticed they don't update too frequently.  I guess I'm dumb for expecting them to be updating it in a timely matter.  I noticed when NJ had its second death it took over a day for them to update it.

Edit - I guess this cdc site says it updates at 4pm each day. The numbers are pretty startling.

Edited by MrBrown
6 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

I saw someone say they've been refreshing the pages of confirmed cases and deaths.  But I've noticed they don't update too frequently.  I guess I'm dumb for expecting them to be updating it in a timely matter.  I noticed when NJ had its second death it took over a day for them to update it.

I am. Doesn’t really need to be instant , even if it takes a day it’s still paints a picture and you can assume it’s lagging 12-24 hours behind I guess . Official record was 11 yesterday , at 18 so far today.  So it’s definitely going up. By all accounts should be in the hundreds soon ( I hope not), but still relatively not that many fatalities... reported anyway. Really looking at Italy to see when they start to trend down/plateau. Italy is at over 2k total.

Edited by brockpapersizer

We are where Italy was 2 weeks ago. On the plus side, we are taking measures earlier than they did because what we learned. Also, they have an older population and multiple generations tend to live together. 

So, hopefully our trajectory is better than our Italian friends. 

On 3/13/2020 at 5:42 PM, brockpapersizer said:

What day are US deaths suppose to skyrocket up?  We're sitting at 48. First reported case almost a month ago. First death on leap day (2 weeks ago). At some point if they don't, it's not as devastating as some imagined? Not saying it wont or it will. 

Up to 85 deaths now, 3 days after this post. We have more reported death's then recovery which points towards the US still being in the infant stages.

Edited by Slatykamora
12 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Up to 85 deaths now, 3 days after this post. We have more reported death's then recovery which points towards the US still being in the infant stages.

91 now! Deaths are probably easier and more conclusive to report than recoveries id imagine. Not that I'm denying were still at the beginning, but those same numbers indicate a really high percentage being in mold condition. I'd imagine a good amount more have recovered than shown.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

We are where Italy was 2 weeks ago. On the plus side, we are taking measures earlier than they did because what we learned. Also, they have an older population and multiple generations tend to live together. 

So, hopefully our trajectory is better than our Italian friends. 

Plus add much higher population density than America.

5 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

Plus add much higher population density than America.

Plus it isn't a cultural norm to kiss on the mouth/face when greeting or saying goodbye. People in the US are much less intimate. If the US actually quarantines seriously it won't get as bad as Italy, where not only is COVID-19 the current leading cause of death -- it doubles the second (heart disease). But I'm not sure I believe in the idea that the American people, as a whole, can be anything but ignorant, stubborn and stupid when asked to inconvenience themselves for the greater good. Guess we'll see.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

denial 

I really can't think of a reason why they won't play eventually. 

The players themselves are not at any great risk.  We're just trying to protect the vulnerable now.  Seems like you're going to get it sooner or later anyway.  At some point, we'll either have flattened the curve or not and we'll just have to move on.  

Korea's doing it. They are talking about the NBA and NHL playoffs as well.  Basketball is wayyyyy more touchy feely than bases. 

Baseball seems to be about as safe an activity as you can do other than just staying home.  I don't think people are going to stay home for months, so might as well let it rip.

At least initially, they can play in empty stadiums.  They could do the regional matchups for a month and take buses, if need be. Let guys drive on their own if they want.

They'll be able to take regular tests to hopefully keep it from spreading amongst the team all at once. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
8 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Plus it isn't a cultural norm to kiss on the mouth/face when greeting or saying goodbye. People in the US are much less intimate. If the US actually quarantines seriously it won't get as bad as Italy, where not only is COVID-19 the current leading cause of death -- it doubles the second (heart disease). But I'm not sure I believe in the idea that the American people, as a whole, can be anything but ignorant, stubborn and stupid when asked to inconvenience themselves for the greater good. Guess we'll see.

The irony here 😂

The ignorance is the person who doesn’t think it’s human nature, and doesn’t think each country (think Italy) went through the same stages: 

1) It’s not that bad

2) Sounds bad, but won’t affect me

And you don’t think there are still Italians who are complaining about being locked up and inconvenienced?

Again, this is a human nature problem. But you go on pretending it’s “Merica.”

10 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

The irony here 😂

The ignorance is the person who doesn’t think it’s human nature, and doesn’t think each country (think Italy) went through the same stages: 

1) It’s not that bad

2) Sounds bad, but won’t affect me

And you don’t think there are still Italians who are complaining about being locked up and inconvenienced?

Again, this is a human nature problem. But you go on pretending it’s “Merica.”

I disagree.  Selfishness and self-centeredness is most definately more of an American cultural characteristic.  Any travel or living experience abroad will highlight that we are much more of a selfish / individualistic culture as opposed to more community-oriented and collective cultures.  Individualism is deeply ingrained in our collective psyche.  Yes selfishness is a universal quality, but selfishness is more exaggerated in our culture which exalts individual freedoms at the expense of all else.

Edited by El_Chingon
  • Like 2
27 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

I disagree.  Selfishness and self-centeredness is most definately more of an American cultural characteristic.  Any travel or living experience abroad will highlight that we are much more of a selfish / individualistic culture as opposed to more community-oriented and collective cultures.  Individualism is deeply ingrained in our collective psyche.  Yes selfishness is a universal quality, but selfishness is more exaggerated in our culture which exalts individual freedoms at the expense of all else.

Currently reading about all the people in the U.K. going to pubs despite strong recommendations not to. But ok.

It's different societies. Some societies are more concerned about the collective than the individual. 

India for example, is very collective. The US is very individual. Countries that are more collective will be more apt to take steps to protect everyone, even at their expense. 

(Honestly, I forgot what the actual terms here I are. I thought it was high society vs. low society, but google proved me wrong)

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

So you missed the initial #MilanDoesntStop hashtag out of Italy? Or now are they very similar to ours too? 

Ok.

Not sure what you are even arguing.  Do you honestly believe all countries have identical cultures and world-views?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Not sure what you are even arguing.  Do you honestly believe all countries have identical cultures and world-views?

Identical? Of course not. But as I said, it’s human nature that happens everywhere. As I said, it’s complete ignorance to believe that’s unique to the States.

16 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Identical? Of course not. But as I said, it’s human nature that happens everywhere. As I said, it’s complete ignorance to believe that’s unique to the States.

No one said unique to the States.  I said it was universal.  But our culture is much more selfish/individualistic relative to other cultures.

6 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

No one said unique to the States.  I said it was universal.  But our culture is much more selfish/individualistic relative to other cultures.

Drop it dude you’re not gonna win this one. If China took less selfish precautions to begin with the world wouldn’t be in this mess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1