NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

bluefrogguy

Just now, treyjuice said:

Drop it dude you’re not gonna win this one. If China took less selfish precautions to begin with the world wouldn’t be in this mess.

What am I not winning and what do I need to drop?  What does China have to do with anything?  #confused

8 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

No one said unique to the States.  I said it was universal.  But our culture is much more selfish/individualistic relative to other cultures.

Just now, El_Chingon said:

What am I not winning and what do I need to drop?  What does China have to do with anything?  #confused

China being "selfish/individualistic" is what helped get the world to this point is what hes saying

• Like 1

Just now, El_Chingon said:

China is actually the opposite extreme.  Collective / communist.

Your missing the point, they didnt handle the virus outbreak correctly aka being selfish and individualistic, do you disagree that was selfish of them trying to save face when all this started?  

Just now, kmoore1521 said:

Your missing the point, they didnt handle the virus outbreak correctly aka being selfish and individualistic, do you disagree that was selfish of them trying to save face when all this started?  

Yeah, I agree it was originally China's fault.  I think we are having 2 separate discussions / arguments so I will stop.

5 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Yeah, I agree it was originally China's fault.  I think we are having 2 separate discussions / arguments so I will stop.

You said America is Selfish/Individualistic more so than other countries, when China just showed perhaps the best example of being exactly that, if your attempting to talk about the actual citizens within then id suggest using different terminology than "America" as i think that culture is a very broad term when discussing countries and what exactly your meaning by that, some think governments, and many think its China's culture to be very secretive and such as well for example 

Edited by kmoore1521

17 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

No one said unique to the States.  I said it was universal.  But our culture is much more selfish/individualistic relative to other cultures.

Well the original post I replied to insinuated that it is unique to the States. And you’re now backing off your original take by playing word games.

Ya’ll are like my aunts on Facebook sometimes 😂

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

You said America is Selfish/Individualistic more so than other countries, when China just showed perhaps the best example of being exactly that, if your attempting to talk about the actual citizens within then id suggest using different terminology than "America" as i think that culture is a very broad term when discussing countries and what exactly your meaning by that, some thing governments, and many think its China's culture to be very secretive and such as well for example 

I actually said American culture,not "America."  I think that's why we're splitting hairs and I won't go back and forth anymore on this topic.  Whoever else wants to respond they can have the last word.

53 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

This is why teams can't prepare right now...

Thank you for actual news here.  Rotoworld's blurb on same:

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that a second Yankees minor leaguer has tested positive for coronavirus.

The Yankees were already quarantining their minor leaguers for two weeks after the first positive test was reported over the weekend. Per Heyman, the team is following the recommendations of health officials. It sounds like additional tests will be conducted and the quarantine will continue as planned.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter                         Mar 17, 2020, 11:55 AM ET

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Me: “All cultures can be ignorant and selfish. It’s human nature, not unique to one country.”

Your take on me based on that:

spacer.png

But really, if that guy doesnt inspire you to be American, nothing will.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Me: “All cultures can be ignorant and selfish. It’s human nature, not unique to one country.”

Your take on me based on that:

spacer.png

lol not gonna lie, that made me laugh.

Honestly, its just the perceived vision people outside of America have of Americans themselves. It isnt a personal knock on you.. just how an 'outsider' can view some of your comments, thats all. I guess it is similiar how Non-Canadians view Canadians.. we all live in ice houses, wear knitted hats, drink maple syrup, play hockey and are super polite... that is honestly so far from the truth, and while people like that do exist, there are exceptions, much like there are exceptions to how not all Americans are one in the same.. so for that.. i apologize if my remark came off as very generalized.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Plus it isn't a cultural norm to kiss on the mouth/face when greeting or saying goodbye. People in the US are much less intimate. If the US actually quarantines seriously it won't get as bad as Italy, where not only is COVID-19 the current leading cause of death -- it doubles the second (heart disease). But I'm not sure I believe in the idea that the American people, as a whole, can be anything but ignorant, stubborn and stupid when asked to inconvenience themselves for the greater good. Guess we'll see.

Plus the median age in Italy is 9 years greater than ours. Also, a higher percentage of the population smokes. 

• Like 2

On 2/25/2020 at 8:15 PM, Hellgrammite said:

Coronavirus is still young, and can grow this year to be the 20/20 player we all know it to be.

Oh, wait, typically Rotoworld response.

The coronavirus might have a more limited effect in America as the weather starts warming up and people are less confined.  Similar pattern to standard flue.

On 2/26/2020 at 6:06 AM, Ecofolux said:

I don't know, I see it as more of a 15/30 virus. Not too much raw power but above average speed

14 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

It's covid-19 because it's 2019, bro. Not because it's "version 19". 😆

And here I thought 19 was it's jersey #.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Has anyone in fantasy leagues that have already drafted discussed what to do IF this season is cancelled?

I have thought about proposing to my league just importing the rosters we drafted for next season and forgo another draft so that we are not cheated out of the teams we drafted this year.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

we’re a lot fatter, so we’ll see how it balances out.

Leave me and my greasy delicious burger alone sir

but yea will def be interesting, seems like the biggest issue is respiratory with the disease so i feel like the smoking more will cause more issues where our chunkyness would cause more issues if it was more heart related

2 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

spoiler 𝐀𝐥𝐞𝐫𝐭, we aren’t 

Ghost runners. I played a lot of one-on-one whiffle ball as a kid. It can work! 

Also, the 10 person thing was guidance. Not law. I think. Time will tell!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, B&F said:

How are we going to have any baseball when the President yesterday said no groups of 10 people before August?

I believe the less than 10 comment was more short-term, like the next month or so, and he followed it up by saying we might be dealing with this until August.  I didnt take it as the less than 10 would be until August.