NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

12 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Today I heard the ice cream truck driving around.  Like wtf?  Hoping for the best right now but number of cases are growing quickly even with the warnings.  People still going to supermarkets without gloves pushing around the same carts, opening the same refrigerator doors, etc.   People who are sick may not even know.  

I have no idea whats going on in China.  Whether they may be letting their guard down too quickly or not. I do know that South Korea is doing much better  I know typically their hospitals aren't overcrowded like they are here though

We had a guy going door to door selling window repairs yesterday.  Lol i asked him how sales were doing

• Haha 1
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crazy with no sports. Talked to my wife last night.  Apparently works in HR. Nice girl. 

Giancarlo Stanton just sprained his wrist washing his hands

This is the rant of someone who’s never had to sacrifice anything or even think about anyone other than themself. Just grotesque.

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

We had a guy going door to door selling window repairs yesterday.  Lol i asked him how sales were doing

That is hands down the dude I'd buy a window from if I needed one.

He's out now, you better believe he'd deliver.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Exactly.  There certainly will be baseball this year.  I'd love to get some action from those who think the season would be canceled.  Even if 1/3 of the games are played in front of no fans they will squeeze in the season some way some how.  Don't be surprised if spring training starts back up in front of empty stadiums a week or two before that 8 week "recommendation".

A lot of the panic and hysteria is because of the unknown.  As I said before this week we will be getting a lot more good data.  I have a strong feeling that data will likely tell us we've taken the proper precautions to flatten out the curve.

The CDC has said they would rather be overly cautious now and get criticized later for it than let something like Italy happen here.  Which there are many reasons (many listed in this thread) why Italy was in a far worse situation to have the pandemic pass the critical point than The US is.

I'm 95% certain we will get 100+ games.  They've also been talking about playing a lot of double headers to get more games in as well.

Manfred has floated the idea of quintuple headers. All is good!

2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Today I heard the ice cream truck driving around.  Like wtf?  Hoping for the best right now but number of cases are growing quickly even with the warnings.  People still going to supermarkets without gloves pushing around the same carts, opening the same refrigerator doors, etc.   People who are sick may not even know.  

I have no idea whats going on in China.  Whether they may be letting their guard down too quickly or not. I do know that South Korea is doing much better  I know typically their hospitals aren't overcrowded like they are here though

Are you sure it wasnt a toilet paper truck?

• Haha 3

The draft is the most fun part of the season to me, so I'd be pretty bummed if the season was cancelled and we didn't draft again next year in my league.  If you're worried about getting "cheated" out of a good draft, maybe you could make it a keeper league for one year, assuming it's not already, or expand keepers so your favorite picks still count.  

Alternative: you have 2 leagues with the same guys.  One with the new team one with the old.  I'd probably want to do some sort of bestball or extremely limited moves with the old league.  

You know what would be cool, and maybe a million dollar idea?  Some sort of online sim league.  I know that sim leagues already exist, but like a really simple version that just spits out box scores for simulated games every day and plugs in the scores for your roster just like a normal platform It's a poor substitute but so is methadone and I need my fix.  

OR, what about one of the video game companies plays out "official" games you can watch online?  

However, I still think we'll have games just because society can only shut down for so long before the cure becomes worse than the disease.  

2 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Exactly.  There certainly will be baseball this year.  

Don't know how. Haven't even gotten to the worst part of this yet and people are already floating out July/August. 

What odds will you give me on no season 

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

It's a clear re-draft situation if the situation is canceled. If you guys have keepers, just do it the same way you normally would and have another keeper lock.  I think if you guys have contracts or round escalation for keepers, then you probably pause that for a year.

It's just a standard re-draft. It makes me not want to do another draft next year if this year is just straight up cancelled.

17 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

The draft is the most fun part of the season to me, so I'd be pretty bummed if the season was cancelled and we didn't draft again next year in my league.  If you're worried about getting "cheated" out of a good draft, maybe you could make it a keeper league for one year, assuming it's not already, or expand keepers so your favorite picks still count.  

Alternative: you have 2 leagues with the same guys.  One with the new team one with the old.  I'd probably want to do some sort of bestball or extremely limited moves with the old league.  

You know what would be cool, and maybe a million dollar idea?  Some sort of online sim league.  I know that sim leagues already exist, but like a really simple version that just spits out box scores for simulated games every day and plugs in the scores for your roster just like a normal platform It's a poor substitute but so is methadone and I need my fix.  

OR, what about one of the video game companies plays out "official" games you can watch online?  

However, I still think we'll have games just because society can only shut down for so long before the cure becomes worse than the disease.  

I am trying to convince my re-draft league to do this, as for me it is deflating to draft this year and just throw it all away if the season is likely cancelled completely. Drafting is the most exciting thing for me as I spend weeks before prepping and mock drafting and for it not to matter at all, just makes me want to take a year long hiatus from fantasy baseball the following year.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

It's just a standard re-draft. It makes me not want to do another draft next year if this year is just straight up cancelled.

spacer.png

N....N.......Not draft next year?!

spacer.png

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Don't know how. Haven't even gotten to the worst part of this yet and people are already floating out July/August. 

Hmmm... Good question... -120 sound good?

3 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I mean, you're entitled to feel how ever you want, but it's not like your league is screwing you. MLB canceling a season is unexpected. Assuming they do (and they might still play) there's going to be players on new teams, new closers, everyone is a year older, etc. People didn't draft for next year, they drafted for this one. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I mean, you're entitled to feel how ever you want, but it's not like your league is screwing you. MLB canceling a season is unexpected. Assuming they do (and they might still play) there's going to be players on new teams, new closers, everyone is a year older, etc. People didn't draft for next year, they drafted for this one. 

I am not implying in any way that my league is screwing me. I don't see why we can't just port over the rosters to next year as the MLB will likely just use the same schedule from this year to next year. Like I said, it just really takes away my enthusiasm away that this year might be a wash. 

• Haha 2
32 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

This topic came up in my league as we've already drafted. We pretty much informally agreed that we'd just carry our rosters over into next year in the event this season is cancelled. You bring up a good point though as far as how teams/MLB would handle that. For example how will they handle the guys on 1 year deals? Like Edwin Encarnacion for example. Signed a 1 year deal with the White Sox. Would they just carry that contract over to next year? Would he not get paid this year? He's 37 years old and they have Vaughn waiting to come up. Would they even want him on the team next year at 38 years old? Curious how that would be handled and hadn't really thought of that. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

3:1 odds.  $50 bucks?

15 minutes ago, KCTD25 said:

This topic came up in my league as we've already drafted. We pretty much informally agreed that we'd just carry our rosters over into next year in the event this season is cancelled. You bring up a good point though as far as how teams/MLB would handle that. For example how will they handle the guys on 1 year deals? Like Edwin Encarnacion for example. Signed a 1 year deal with the White Sox. Would they just carry that contract over to next year? Would he not get paid this year? He's 37 years old and they have Vaughn waiting to come up. Would they even want him on the team next year at 38 years old? Curious how that would be handled and hadn't really thought of that. 

I'm completely fine with any league deciding whatever works for them. If your league wants to redraft or keep the same roster, either works. It's a matter of preference. I personally think redraft is more fair since it's a year later and a new season. 

All mlb contracts forward a year. Edwin would be a free agent. If there's no baseball season, the Red Sox murdered the Dodgers on that trade( cc  @The Big Bat Theory) , Mookie could very well never play a game for the Dodgers 

• Like 2

Have seen some posts about optimism with China seemingly starting to get back to normal. Just realize they were basically 2+ months ahead of us on the timeline, plus they are run by a communist dictator who has a lot more control over the people. If they are STILL not normal with that, why would we be back to normal any time soon?

• Like 3

I found this article in the MIT Technology Review fascinating on a number of levels, even if some of the predictions seem to be on the more pessimistic end in terms of how long these restrictions will be with us, and how much they're going to impact our lives.  I'm not quite ready to accept that we're going to be dealing with this in some form or another for 18+  months, that's for sure.

Anyway, one of the more interesting and possibly baseball-relevant parts of the article concerns a proposed way of phasing the restrictions in and out based on how close the healthcare system is to full capacity:

In a report yesterday (pdf), researchers at Imperial College London proposed a way of doing this: impose more extreme social distancing measures every time admissions to intensive care units (ICUs) start to spike, and relax them each time admissions fall. Here’s how that looks in a graph.

A graph of weekly ICU cases over time.

Periodic bouts of social distancing keep the pandemic in check. Imperial College Covid-19 Response Team.

The orange line is ICU admissions. Each time they rise above a threshold—say, 100 per week—the country would close all schools and most universities and adopt social distancing. When they drop below 50, those measures would be lifted, but people with symptoms or whose family members have symptoms would still be confined at home.

What counts as “social distancing”? The researchers define it as “All households reduce contact outside household, school or workplace by 75%.” That doesn’t mean you get to go out with your friends once a week instead of four times. It means everyone does everything they can to minimize social contact, and overall, the number of contacts falls by 75%.

Under this model, the researchers conclude, social distancing and school closures would need to be in force some two-thirds of the time—roughly two months on and one month off—until a vaccine is available, which will take at least 18 months (if it works at all). They note that the results are “qualitatively similar for the US.”

So, let's imagine that this is true -- that instead of a long, lonely 18 months, we're dealing with this cyclical model where the restrictions can be loosened for perhaps a month or more.  Can anyone imagine what baseball would look like?  Assuming the players do what they need to do to stay in shape, you can pretty much forget about "spring training" and 162-game seasons.  It would be month-long sprints where a sports-starved nation is selling out parks constantly (even in Kansas City and Pittsburgh!).  In a given year, there could be at most 4 months of sports events, and the leagues would do whatever they need to do to get them in regardless of the weather.  Baseball in domes and warm weather climates in the winter, hockey and football in the summer wherever they can make it work...

I know this all sounds like a dystopian sci-fi novel, but it's a real possibility at this point.  I tell you what, if staying inside for the next couple months can keep me from this hellscape, sign me up.

• Like 1

It’s impossible to wrap one’s mind around this calamity. My parents never had to deal with anything like this. My grandparents lived through the Great Depression and WW2 and that’s what we’re in the throes of right now. But unlike the Great Depression and WW2 we don’t have any sports right now... At all..

Edited by Cheppy
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

It’s impossible to wrap one’s mind around this calamity. My parents never had to deal with anything like this. My grandparents lived through the Great Depression and WW2 and that’s what we’re in the throes of right now. But unlike the Great Depression and WW2 we don’t have any sports right now... At all..

We've lived during some crazy times. 9/11 and now this.