NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/latest-concerns-south-koreas-worst-hit-city-69657741

I know people were optimistic based on the reports of China.  But I know they control a lot of their media.  I don't know how much outside access there is to whats really going on there.  Sounds like South Korea was doing better but now seeing the beginning of another surge.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crazy with no sports. Talked to my wife last night.  Apparently works in HR. Nice girl. 

Giancarlo Stanton just sprained his wrist washing his hands

This is the rant of someone who’s never had to sacrifice anything or even think about anyone other than themself. Just grotesque.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Cheppy said:

It’s impossible to wrap one’s mind around this calamity. My parents never had to deal with anything like this. My grandparents lived through the Great Depression and WW2 and that’s what we’re in the throes of right now. But unlike the Great Depression and WW2 we don’t have any sports right now... At all..

This still isn’t anything like the Great Depression or WW2. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

This still isn’t anything like the Great Depression or WW2. 

Jury is out on that one. And probably not fair comparisons anyway. But the big first big comparison will be how this compares to the 1918 H1N1 influenza epidemic. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, bluefrogguy said:

Jury is out on that one. And probably not fair comparisons anyway. But the big first big comparison will be how this compares to the 1918 H1N1 influenza epidemic. 

That’s fair.. But they at least had a baseball season during the Great Depression and WW2. Spanish Flu ended the baseball season with one month to go.

I started this thread on February 25th because I thought the horse was out of the barn. But I way underestimated the impact. Get ready for a period of 10s of thousands new cases a day and thousands of deaths. And that is with social distancing. 

And even if we get by this first phase we are going to waves of it there rest of the year until we can get a vaccine going and:or effective treatment. 

We are not playing baseball this year, fellas. Stay safe. 

Edited by bluefrogguy
  • Thanks 2
37 minutes ago, bluefrogguy said:

I started this thread on February 25th because I thought the horse was out of the barn. But I way underestimated the impact. Get ready for a period of 10s of thousands new cases a day and thousands of deaths. And that is with social distancing. 

And even if we get by this first phase we are going to waves of it there rest of the year until we can get a vaccine going and:or effective treatment. 

We are not playing baseball this year, fellas. Stay safe. 

thousands as in less than 10 thousand? still wouldn't be as much as 2009 when over 12 thousand Americans died from H1N1.

IMO there has been too much media panic, with a narrative that if you get Coronavirus you're as good as dead. that is not accurate.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

thousands as in less than 10 thousand? still wouldn't be as much as 2009 when over 12 thousand Americans died from H1N1.

IMO there has been too much media panic, with a narrative that if you get Coronavirus you're as good as dead. that is not accurate.

No you will (probably) be fine.  Our health care system is not going to be. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Tell that to a parent of say an 8 year old with Cistic Fribrosis or people like my in-laws who are 60 with one standing to lose weight and is a Diabetic. 

I don’t think any sort of panic is in order but people like I mentioned are scared and for good reason. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

Tell that to a parent of say an 8 year old with Cistic Fribrosis or people like my in-laws who are 60 with one standing to lose weight and is a Diabetic. 

I don’t think any sort of panic is in order but people like I mentioned are scared and for good reason. 

nobody is saying this isn't serious, but that doesn't mean everyone getting Coronavirus is going to die. that seems to be the perception from mainstream media that act like nothing ever before has been like this.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SpecialFNK said:

nobody is saying this isn't serious, but that doesn't mean everyone getting Coronavirus is going to die. that seems to be the perception from mainstream media that act like nothing ever before has been like this.

I think it’s more about how contagious it is and the heavy burden it’ll undoubtedly put on our medical system. Can’t say I can really wrap my mind around the ripple effects though.

No one is saying everyone is going to die. But a significant percentage will. The concern is everyone getting sick at once and overwhelming our health care system, which has no excess capacity to begin with.  That is when the sh!t will hit the fan. 

• Like 1
Just now, bluefrogguy said:

No one is saying everyone is going to die. But a significant percentage will. The concern is everyone getting sick at once and overwhelming our health care system, which has no excess capacity to begin with.  That is when the sh!t will hit the fan. 

There won't be many deaths IF we don't overload the health system. If we do, than the death rate skyrockets as hospitals will basically have to decide who will live and who will die. If we get to this point then other wise healthy people will start dying from this and it will be a catastrophe.

We don't know how this turns out, but, we're still very early in this process. Those of you implying this is worse than the depression "because at least they had baseball", really need to check yourselves. People aren't starving to death or eating their shoe tongues for a special occasion dinners.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

CNN is the worst. while they're not specifically saying everyone is going to die their coverage of this has been atrocious, all because of their political agenda. they along with even Democrats said President Trump called the Coronavirus itself a hoax, and that is not what happened.

So, in other words, nothing like what you said earlier has actually happened.  Glad we're in agreement.

3 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

So, in other words, nothing like what you said earlier has actually happened.  Glad we're in agreement.

I've watched enough CNN to know their intent, you can see how they want people to panic. it's the way they have covered this that has people believing things are awful and everyone is going to die. Coronavirus is not something unprecedented.

• Like 2

You didn't say intent, you said narrative. Narrative is actual coverage that you could cite if your premise were accurate.

You're also free to cite CNN or anyone else saying coronavirus is "unprecedented" if you'd like.

3 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I've watched enough CNN to know their intent, you can see how they want people to panic. it's the way they have covered this that has people believing things are awful and everyone is going to die. Coronavirus is not something unprecedented.

From the perspective of our immune systems, it is definitely something unprecedented.

It's the perfect storm pathogen- contagious, no cross immunity, long asymptomatic period so people spread unknowingly, relatively high death rate once sick... This is the one we've feared. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, bluefrogguy said:

From the perspective of our immune systems, it is definitely something unprecedented.

It's the perfect storm pathogen- contagious, no cross immunity, long asymptomatic period so people spread unknowingly, relatively high death rate once sick... This is the one we've feared. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

7,339 cases, 116 deaths, 106 recovered.

Active Cases
Currently Infected Patients

7,105 (100%)
in Mild Condition
12 (0%)
Serious or Critical

Edited by SpecialFNK
  • Like 1

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Active Cases
Currently Infected Patients

7,105 (100%)
in Mild Condition
12 (0%)
Serious or Critical

This is the site I use too, but I assume the actual people who have it is wayyyy more than 7117.

3 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Again, you're making the innumerate mistake of comparing this virus that's been around for ~70 days with historical outbreaks that killed many more in a much longer period of time.  I already demonstrated how wrong this is the other day.  If you want to compare apples to apples, you compare the growth in cases and fatalities to the same number of days from when it's discovered.  In most of our lifetimes, that means this is unprecedented, though if you want to quibble and say the flu of 1918 was worse, I welcome you to bring your own charts showing where that was 70 days in.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Again, you're making the innumerate mistake of comparing this virus that's been around for ~70 days with historical outbreaks that killed many more in a much longer period of time.  I already demonstrated how wrong this is the other day.  If you want to compare apples to apples, you compare the growth in cases and fatalities to the same number of days from when it's discovered.  In most of our lifetimes, that means this is unprecedented, though if you want to quibble and say the flu of 1918 was worse, I welcome you to bring your own charts showing where that was 70 days in.

lets see how this plays out. I've seen too many concluding a worst case scenario.