NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

2 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Anyone saying this is just like the flu or it’s a hoax hasn’t had it. I have pneumonia from it and am still at home on antibiotics because the hospitals are too full and I’m still considered a ‘mild’ case. With pneumonia. I wake up everyday and can barely breathe for the first few hours and have to sit there and wonder if this is the day I’m gonna have to get ventilated. I’m also 34 and was in good health before all of this. No asthma, smoking or any of that. 

Hang in there.  Wishing you the best.

• Like 2
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crazy with no sports. Talked to my wife last night.  Apparently works in HR. Nice girl. 

Giancarlo Stanton just sprained his wrist washing his hands

This is the rant of someone who’s never had to sacrifice anything or even think about anyone other than themself. Just grotesque.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, butlerbeatpitt15 said:

welp no season I guess

No doubt this season is lost, and still we have people who think the COVID 19 will magically disappear and life will go back to normal. I even think the football season is lost. A friend of mine is saying two years. 

37 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

No doubt this season is lost, and still we have people who think the COVID 19 will magically disappear and life will go back to normal. I even think the football season is lost. A friend of mine is saying two years. 

To those 3 points listed by Passan:

MLB have left open the possibility of playing games in parks with no fans. That would increase the chance of having a season drastically. Medical experts may say it isnt safe to play infront of 50,000 fans, but its safe to play in an empty ball park, thus potentially eliminating the risk to players/staff.

Travel restrictions between USA and Canada could be listed within the next few weeks... that is probably the least concerning of the agreed terms to be honest.

11 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

It's usually wise to err towards the side of caution that effects lives and we don't have all the facts about. That is key here, our knowledge is developing. You are putting trust into mitigation/check/balances into fighting something that is acting faster then we are equipped for. Yes, we will catch up, but when? It's a very open ended question given how freaking contagious this is and limited our testing is.

No one treats an activity were there is a 5% chance of dying vs the 5% chance of losing money or some other asset. 

Presenting the worst case is still good information to have. It helps push forward efforts to curve it. The media is going to be the media. People react more to negativity then positive. So that is what sells. That is never going to change unless people change. It's like complaining about it being a rainy day.

We have had Nukes for 70 years. 70 years of wisdom to develop measures, counter measures, layers to prevent worst case. In the early years of nukes. We did some pretty dumb things and had close calls that were due more to luck then checks and balances. 

It's like when my kids ask why they have to wear their seatbelt.  Well, cause you'll fly through the windshield if I get into a car accident.  If I said, "cause you'll slide out of your seat if I stop too quickly", they'd never buckle up.

I'd love to think every adult is smarter than my 5 year old, but they're not.  People still trying to spring break it up at the beach.

• Like 5
45 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

It's like when my kids ask why they have to wear their seatbelt.  Well, cause you'll fly through the windshield if I get into a car accident.  If I said, "cause you'll slide out of your seat if I stop too quickly", they'd never buckle up.

I'd love to think every adult is smarter than my 5 year old, but they're not.  People still trying to spring break it up at the beach.

Matbe if the media could add - that if we don’t follow social distancing, Santa won’t come!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
30 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I think we finally got most of the people to agree that there’s not fear-mongering going on, then you post this 😂

I like Dan a lot, but this is a pretty ridiculous thing to tweet/say. There will be empty stadiums, if need be. The likelihood of this lasting 2-3 years with no vaccine, AND MLB not adjusting doing anything, is infinitesimally small it’s really not worth discussing. In fact I don’t think the odds of this are > 0. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
34 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Even in that worst case scenario, where the MLB collapses, baseball (as a sport) will continue. Perhaps a new league will dawn. Where there will be salary caps, and no more outrageous contracts.

MLB, like every other sport, is in survival mode. They HAVE to play in empty stadiums if they can. Lift the blackouts, make MLB.tv free to all if there are games this season.

14 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

so 80 patients in a high infection/critical unit....and 78 recovered because of (most likely because of) hcq/a.  97.5% recovery in 5 days for people on the drug.

we should ignore it right???

Given that,

1. The source is the same principal investigator and team that previously fabricated data in multiple studies to arrive at a particular conclusion (see the links that demonstrate this), and

2. The previous study was so comically unscientific that the very existence of this study proves that these jokers were working backwards from "HCQ is a miracle drug", and

3. This new study has no control group, so we can't determine if the drug is doing anything as compared to those who didn't take it under similar conditions, and

4. The age distribution of the patients skews way too young and way too healthy, pushing up the number of people who would have recovered fully anyway

I think that yes, we can put this new study in the "wait for some grown-ups to replicate the results using a randomized controlled study" category before we laud it as a miracle cure and attack anyone who disagrees as complicit in killing people.

• Like 2

Trump's favorite medical expert Dr. Birx will just claim it's a-ok to go back to large crowds and no travel bans. 

If MLB plays in empty stadiums - I'd rather see them play in ST fields, or even newly made fields in unique settings at least.  Like the game they were going to play at the Field of Dreams field in Iowa. 

It would be cheap as hell to just add a temporary HR fence, backstop and diamond in interesting settings. 

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

There is in my humble opinion.. a zero percent chance of this happening. MLB has already discussed the possibility of playing at empty fields, so theres no reason to think if mass gathering restrictions are not uplifted that MLB will not proceed in empty stadiums..

*waits for the mass gathering (pun intended) of people to come and tell me 'its not just about playing in empty stadiums' * ... 

I still feel strongly COVID-19 would clear up if people would social distance.  

OPTIMISTIC about mid June start.  More than half a season.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, B&F said:

Washington is already seeing signs of social distancing working.  Topps posted article above. Hopefully others take similar precautions and we start seeing positive news come out towards end of April.  These next few weeks will probably be pretty ugly for numbers.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Anyone saying this is just like the flu or it’s a hoax hasn’t had it. I have pneumonia from it and am still at home on antibiotics because the hospitals are too full and I’m still considered a ‘mild’ case. With pneumonia. I wake up everyday and can barely breathe for the first few hours and have to sit there and wonder if this is the day I’m gonna have to get ventilated. I’m also 34 and was in good health before all of this. No asthma, smoking or any of that. 

We would like a daily update.

10 minutes ago, B&F said:

But if social distancing goes away too soon you could have what is starting to happen in Korea now with the return of cases causing a secondary outbreak in the general population. 

Or try and play in empty parks too early and you face what is happening in Japan where they started baseball to only have several players on a team get it and everyone is back to square one having to quarantine ball players as in the whole team and you can't play period because of schedules and if they played other teams then those teams have to quarantine etc etc.  In my opinion June would be way way too soon.

Any reasons or articles on why US has the most cases and growing? 

Social distancing is just a delay while a vaccine is worked at.  Its so that the healthcare system isn't over run and there is a steady trickle of cases needing hospitalization and ventilation versus a wave all at once.  The whole flattening the curve thing. 

Social distancing will have to go on as long as there isn't a treatment or vaccine.  It can gradually fade though once testing comes about to see who has had it without knowing and are thus immune.  Those folks can go back to regular lives but it will take many months for any herd immunity to develop. 

Stop social distancing too quickly and rates will spike again and hospitals will be overrun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1