NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

5 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Any reasons or articles on why US has the most cases and growing? 

I assume besides bad planning, it's also the third most populated country in the World, and a country where there is extensive travel throughout. People being absolute idiots and defying recommendations has certainly helped it spread. 

I would assume Indias numbers might styrocket based on population and density. Or maybe the government there is able to lock down the country better. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crazy with no sports. Talked to my wife last night.  Apparently works in HR. Nice girl. 

Giancarlo Stanton just sprained his wrist washing his hands

This is the rant of someone who’s never had to sacrifice anything or even think about anyone other than themself. Just grotesque.

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

US dragged it's feet preparing as not enough test kits were gotten when they needed to be gotten so not enough testing to "prove" to even the naysayers that social distancing was needed way earlier than it actually started.  That gave the coronavirus a BIG head start having the field all to itself early on. 

Also the timeline (see all the endless graphs here) that goes with every country and region has the US heading into it's peak period in places where it became "hot" first like NYC. 

But because this country is so large geographically there will be other hot spots starting-up along different timelines like New Orleans which is behind NYC's timeline for peaking and Chicago, Detroit and LA which are even further behind.  And other cities and rural areas that are going to pop up and will be trailing them timewise.  So there will be regionally different "peaks" to the curve at different places as well. 

Add in a greater population than most countries and idiots being idiots like the college kids that took spring break at crowded beaches then going out and spreading this crap to the four corners of the country and there you go.

Other countries did either draconian measures (China) or fined people not practicing social distancing which FINALLY got people off the streets in places like Spain though they waited too late too.  But kudos to the Spanish where they haven't rushed out and hoarded toilet papers in droves.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I think we finally got most of the people to agree that there’s not fear-mongering going on, then you post this 😂

I like Dan a lot, but this is a pretty ridiculous thing to tweet/say. There will be empty stadiums, if need be. The likelihood of this lasting 2-3 years with no vaccine, AND MLB not adjusting doing anything, is infinitesimally small it’s really not worth discussing. In fact I don’t think the odds of this are > 0. 

I'll be disappointed if we haven't resorted to cannibalism in the next two years. 

• Haha 1

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/news/abbott-wins-u-approval-test-171902164.html

We need to continue to practice social distance. We have seen progress in New Rochelle, NY, however they took care of things much earlier than most.. and are seeing signs of progress on the West Coast in both British Columbia and Washington.

Medical trials, and the vast production of 15 minute tests that have received FDA approval should really get this thing going in the right direction.

No matter how we look at it, those that are infected will still require 2-3 weeks of recovery time. I still think we see baseball at some point in May... which could be 8 weeks from now.. its a lot of time to get **** together in North America.

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, jonninho said:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/news/abbott-wins-u-approval-test-171902164.html

We need to continue to practice social distance. We have seen progress in New Rochelle, NY, however they took care of things much earlier than most.. and are seeing signs of progress on the West Coast in both British Columbia and Washington.

Medical trials, and the vast production of 15 minute tests that have received FDA approval should really get this thing going in the right direction.

No matter how we look at it, those that are infected will still require 2-3 weeks of recovery time. I still think we see baseball at some point in May... which could be 8 weeks from now.. its a lot of time to get **** together in North America.

Too ambitious. Too many large city hubs that have yet to face large outbreaks. I'm really worried about the Midwest; the guidelines are very loose about essential vs non - essential. These are the middle class people who need to work to provide.

3 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

New York City and NJ are both very densely populated.  There's also a lot of travel to NYC particularly. People traveling to or through NJ.  Philadelphia warned people if they visited NYC or nearby parts of North NJ that they should be quarantining themselves for 14 days.  So I guess just lots of movement throughout.  Trips to DC, etc.  Other big cities and surrounding areas are similar. Hard to speculate on all factors.

19 minutes ago, motleyfoo said:

Take a look at this projections site, which also has a state-by-state breakdown:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Are these projections a bit optimistic?  And if not, wouldn't it suggest there will be baseball this year ??

These projections are pretty much what I was expecting to see, but it didn’t make it any easier looking at it. Another day, another level higher for my anxiety levels.

36 minutes ago, motleyfoo said:

Take a look at this projections site, which also has a state-by-state breakdown:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Are these projections a bit optimistic?  And if not, wouldn't it suggest there will be baseball this year ??

They're predictions made off a very small sample of data. Not much can be made of it.  US had over 25K in new coronavirus cases show up today.  I'm not sure they would bother playing half a season.

Cuomo apparently hasn’t paid attention to how the spread of disease was slowed in China. 

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has warned against a quarantine of “hot spots” that President Donald Trump floated on Saturday, saying it would be nothing short of a “federal declaration of war” that would pit state authorities against the federal government.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/president-trump-considering-enforced-quarantine-173412170.html

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, motleyfoo said:

yes, but a suggested total US death toll of 81K by early August is FAR from doomsday predictions, and it appears to me a return to normalcy can happen in the 2nd half of May, generally speaking .....

So you looked at the graph and thought to yourself, “81,000 Americans may die in the next 2 months. That’s not so bad. And we may get baseball this summer!”

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

By "baseball in May" do we mean spring training or regular season? It sounds like any spring training would last 3 weeks, max. In order to start the regular season in May we'd need spring training to start in the next three weeks. New York and California are on fire. My state, Ohio, isn't projected to peak until May 1. What medical experts, since this is part of the agreement, are going to green light going ahead with the season? I'm really trying to find a silver lining but this is straight up dire right now. For baseball in May we needed a national lockdown weeks ago.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Cuomo apparently hasn’t paid attention to how the spread of disease was slowed in China. 

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has warned against a quarantine of “hot spots” that President Donald Trump floated on Saturday, saying it would be nothing short of a “federal declaration of war” that would pit state authorities against the federal government.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/president-trump-considering-enforced-quarantine-173412170.html

Pissing contest

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

By "baseball in May" do we mean spring training or regular season? It sounds like any spring training would last 3 weeks, max. In order to start the regular season in May we'd need spring training to start in the next three weeks. New York and California are on fire. My state, Ohio, isn't projected to peak until May 1. What medical experts, since this is part of the agreement, are going to green light going ahead with the season? I'm really trying to find a silver lining but this is straight up dire right now. For baseball in May we needed a national lockdown weeks ago.

Dr. Crickets

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I have no idea if the quarantine would be a good idea. But New Yorkers would be the easiest people in history to quarantine since they are psychologically incapable of going more than 45 minutes without telling you they are from New York. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Exactly. I’m not looking at this from a political standpoint but more from a “someone who wants this over as fast as possible standpoint” - I think they need to get stricter in general as far as enforcing social distancing. If it was almost any other city I’d be in favor of the full lockdown - but I get why they wouldn’t want to do that in NYC because of the additional strain it would cause the financial sector, the stock market and the economy as a whole. That said I think they’ve got to start tightening measures somehow everywhere but especially in New York. Maybe some sort of fine or something like Italy’s doing. 

• Like 1

Why can't New Yorkers follow the advice?  I thought New Yorkers would actually be the most likely to fall in line.

There's nuance to this quarantine discussion that's being lost here.  Cuomo had spoken to POTUS minutes before the idea of a quarantine was announced, and, according to Cuomo, nothing about a quarantine was mentioned.  Furthermore, nothing was actually said about what specifically such a quarantine would entail.  NYC is already locked down to a significant and unprecedented degree, and ratcheting things up would, as indicated above, have non-trivial consequences elsewhere.

Given POTUS's... shall we say, inconsistent approach to policy around COVID-19, and given that Cuomo had just talked to him and nothing about quarantine was mentioned, and given that our political system has much stricter limits on what the feds can do to supersede state and local laws than a country like China does, can anyone blame him for not being enthusiastic about an unknown set of restrictions being imposed by a government that had to be begged to take the threat seriously from the start?

Maybe we're at the point where NYC and the tri-state area have to ratchet up restrictions some more, but the idea of that coming from the federal level in this environment seems like a recipe for hundreds of thousands of panicked New Yorkers simultaneously clogging the interstates.  If that's to be done, it needs to be done by state and local officials who know the lay of the land and can target the restrictions without adding to the harm.

21 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

There's nuance to this quarantine discussion that's being lost here.  Cuomo had spoken to POTUS minutes before the idea of a quarantine was announced, and, according to Cuomo, nothing about a quarantine was mentioned.  Furthermore, nothing was actually said about what specifically such a quarantine would entail.  NYC is already locked down to a significant and unprecedented degree, and ratcheting things up would, as indicated above, have non-trivial consequences elsewhere.

Given POTUS's... shall we say, inconsistent approach to policy around COVID-19, and given that Cuomo had just talked to him and nothing about quarantine was mentioned, and given that our political system has much stricter limits on what the feds can do to supersede state and local laws than a country like China does, can anyone blame him for not being enthusiastic about an unknown set of restrictions being imposed by a government that had to be begged to take the threat seriously from the start?

Maybe we're at the point where NYC and the tri-state area have to ratchet up restrictions some more, but the idea of that coming from the federal level in this environment seems like a recipe for hundreds of thousands of panicked New Yorkers simultaneously clogging the interstates.  If that's to be done, it needs to be done by state and local officials who know the lay of the land and can target the restrictions without adding to the harm.

I don’t disagree with any of this. 

I wouldn’t have locked down New York because of the previously mentioned financial consequences. That said, looking to China as an example the more stringently you lock things down the more you can slow the spread of the virus. The virus originated there, they have a much larger population than us, and it still didn’t take long for us to pass them in confirmed cases. I know there are other factors at play like travel, and their number is a little questionable, but the point still stands. All signs right now indicate this is going to end up hitting us much harder and wider than it him them. 

If I were the governor of Louisiana or Michigan I’d strongly consider the lock down for New Orleans or Detroit, or at the minimum stricter social distancing enforcement. While the economy is shut down like this we need to be using this time to do everything we can to slow the spread. 

52 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

I don’t think that nuance is lost. I think it’s convenient that those who wanted to the federal government to act swiftly and make decisions are now suggesting maybe it’s best left to state and local municipalities. 

• Like 1