NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crazy with no sports. Talked to my wife last night.  Apparently works in HR. Nice girl. 

Giancarlo Stanton just sprained his wrist washing his hands

This is the rant of someone who’s never had to sacrifice anything or even think about anyone other than themself. Just grotesque.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, daynlokki said:

Anyone else noticing that worldwide the death rate on closed cases is 18%?

So you are saying:

Deaths/(Deaths+Recoveries)= 0.18?

16 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

So you are saying:

Deaths/(Deaths+Recoveries)= 0.18?

I’m saying out of closed cases (recoveries+deaths), 18% of them are currently deaths worldwide. That’s IF you believe that half the recoveries of the entire world from China are true. If not, it’d be higher. 

22 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

I’m saying out of closed cases (recoveries+deaths), 18% of them are currently deaths worldwide. That’s IF you believe that half the recoveries of the entire world from China are true. If not, it’d be higher. 

I don't believe anything from China.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

The problem with our data is we are not capturing all the people sick. It's going to be bias towards people sick enough it begs getting tested. At least for a lot of countries. South Korea/Germany seem to be doing more habitual testing.

The Diamond Princess the only data point where 100% of the people in that group were tested.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

The problem with our data is we are not capturing all the people sick. It's going to be bias towards people sick enough it begs getting tested. At least for a lot of countries. South Korea/Germany seem to be doing more habitual testing.

The Diamond Princess the only data point where 100% of the people in that group were tested.

Even with the amount tested the death % and recovery rate are staggering. It doesn’t fully discount the statistic. In the end, this death rate will be the final tally. 

17 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Even with the amount tested the death % and recovery rate are staggering. It doesn’t fully discount the statistic. In the end, this death rate will be the final tally. 

It's flawed data to figure out rates when you don't know everyone who is/was sick. I'm sure when your hospitals are over capacity. Death's increases and probably a decent amount.

The cumulative loss of life is really what's important anyway. Rate wont be accurate without capturing everyone who was ever sick. Which seems like a pipe dream unless we do mandatory blood sample testing to look for anti-bodies.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Anyone else noticing that worldwide the death rate on closed cases is 18%?

Yes. But we're still early and it typically takes longer to fully recover than it does to die. Out of known active cases, 95 percent are mild or moderate. Still a higher death rate the flu and I'd much rather not get it, but it likely won't be that high when all is said and done.

• Like 2

Was it posted here, or did I just see it on Twitter; there are STILL people packing beaches in FLA.  Good Lord, this thing is gonna last forever.

Edited by 89Topps
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Was it posted here, or did I just see it on Twitter; there are STILL people packing beaches in FLA.  Good Lord, this thing is gonna last forever.

Incredible.. and i thought my people in Toronto were dumb...Florida takes the cake..

Seems super obvious to me. Plenty of people are at home with mild conditions doing the right thing and aren't counted for infected or recovery. Granted there are many people who have no idea they have it and probably pass it on to others, even though the original person will never be counted as a recovery.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/europe/italy-coronavirus-cases-surpass-china-intl/index.html

"

Distorted numbers

Italy's number of confirmed cases is "not representative of the entire infected population," said Dr. Massimo Galli, head of the infectious disease unit at Sacco Hospital in Milan. The real figure was "much much more."
Only the most severe cases are being tested, added Galli, and not the entire population -- which in turn, skews the death rate."

Edited by brockpapersizer
On 3/28/2020 at 4:52 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

US dragged it's feet preparing as not enough test kits were gotten when they needed to be gotten so not enough testing to "prove" to even the naysayers that social distancing was needed way earlier than it actually started.  That gave the coronavirus a BIG head start having the field all to itself early on. 

Also the timeline (see all the endless graphs here) that goes with every country and region has the US heading into it's peak period in places where it became "hot" first like NYC. 

But because this country is so large geographically there will be other hot spots starting-up along different timelines like New Orleans which is behind NYC's timeline for peaking and Chicago, Detroit and LA which are even further behind.  And other cities and rural areas that are going to pop up and will be trailing them timewise.  So there will be regionally different "peaks" to the curve at different places as well. 

Add in a greater population than most countries and idiots being idiots like the college kids that took spring break at crowded beaches then going out and spreading this crap to the four corners of the country and there you go.

Other countries did either draconian measures (China) or fined people not practicing social distancing which FINALLY got people off the streets in places like Spain though they waited too late too.  But kudos to the Spanish where they haven't rushed out and hoarded toilet papers in droves.

Actually I think it is because the US has done more testing than any other country in the world

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Per capita?

Trump said today the fda approved a 5 minute COVID-19 test being deployed this week

7 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Nope.  Not even close.

image.thumb.png.c7d8b7d58f7cc64baf786ac74924577f.png

Do the math...If we have 140,000 confirmed cases and we are only doing 200 tests per 100K , does that means we tested 70 million people already? no of course not. You do know our population is over 6 times as large as South Korea...we have done more tests even though S. K . has tested a higher percentage of its people.

32 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

Why would anyone care about the absolute number of tests?  The per capita number is the relevant one.  

The quick 15 minute COVID test that will be issued this week, if it works, will be a gamechanger. Give America time as our system was broken

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Human beings in general are stupid and selfish. The only way this gets settled is a complete lockdown like China did. We are too selfish and entitled in north America for it to work the way they are doing it now

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

Trump said today the fda approved a 5 minute COVID-19 test being deployed this week

He's been saying for weeks that anybody who wants a test could have one.  This will tell people in near real time versus the many days lag but how wide spread will the availability be?  This will be best for healthcare workers who could literally test every shift eventually. 

Edited by Baseball Jonze

As a New Yorker, I think the Florida beaches SHOULD be open. So long as people don't cluster together and follow distancing guidelines. 

I really have a bone to pick with the "Stay Home, Save Lives" line. It's ironic that we say this for the sake of health but yet we disregard the health -- both physical and mental -- of the many who remain indoors. One of the top comorbidities of COVID-19 is hypertension. What do you think will lower one's blood pressure -- staying in and watching the angst-driven news or going outside for some exercise? It's so easy to maintain social distancing these days, even in once bustling cities like New York. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4