NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crazy with no sports. Talked to my wife last night.  Apparently works in HR. Nice girl. 

Giancarlo Stanton just sprained his wrist washing his hands

This is the rant of someone who’s never had to sacrifice anything or even think about anyone other than themself. Just grotesque.

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Yes you must test negative of covid. That’s the other way to have a closed case. This is also worldwide, not purely US based. If it were, I’d be saying closer to 38%. Because that’s where we are at as a country. 38% of closed US cases of covid are deaths (7252 recoveries, 3889 deaths as of right now reported)

Yes, so do you see why that stat is incredibly misleading?

Its analogous to stating that "the fact is, through 7 games, 38% of Trout's hits are home runs and he's on pace for 126 HR!"

Edited by cs3
1 minute ago, Slatykamora said:

Yes. 10M getting inflected upon a population of 330M is not really far fetched for something we know is highly contagious. 

Notice you left out anything about the second half of that post which is where the contradiction actually occurred. Factually, 10m getting infected out of a population of 330m is considered an extremely low estimate. With no vaccine, herd immunity is the only actual way to move even a bit past this. That would take around a 80% infection rate. Most estimates think at least 40% of the US will be infected however. Which still would be greatly over 100k and no way ‘akin to the seasonal flu’. 

10 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

It has already been posted here but have to agree RE: this thread:

ImaginativeThirstyArctichare-max-1mb.gif

Much like when it comes to a contract negotiation, every fantasy sports person is an accountant, and when it comes to a criminal issue we're all attorneys.

Everyone getting their postgrad at Rotoworld University.  🤣

• Like 2
1 minute ago, cs3 said:

Yes, so do you see why that stat is incredibly misleading?

Its analogous to stating that "the fact is, through 7 games, 38% of Trout's hits are home runs and he's on pace for 126 HR!"

Yet at the end of a pandemic that stat is the one that shows the overall death rate for the infection. It may be early but you don’t say someone is a .250 hitter when he’s hitting .400 through May. 

1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

Notice you left out anything about the second half of that post which is where the contradiction actually occurred. Factually, 10m getting infected out of a population of 330m is considered an extremely low estimate. With no vaccine, herd immunity is the only actual way to move even a bit past this. That would take around a 80% infection rate. Most estimates think at least 40% of the US will be infected however. Which still would be greatly over 100k and no way ‘akin to the seasonal flu’. 

Who is saying it's an "akin to the seasonal flu"?

7 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Might wanna scroll back to my first post today quoting backdoor. Where it says covid is. 

The RATE. It’s cited. You’re not quoting me, you’re quoting a medical journal. Take your numbers:

40% of population gets it = 130M

130M x 0.1% (same rate as flu) = 130,000 deaths

Currently projecting 100,000+.

So again I ask, what aren’t you grasping? 

Edited by Backdoor Slider

please...its not like the flu. watch trumps presser today. he walked back his own Talking Point from recent weeks. as you should too. Trump  slowly gets it. took weeks. i hope its not too late and everyone will understand it and act accordingly.

The seasonal flu comp did come up early and often in this thread, and some did try to advance it earlier today, but I think we can safely move on from such nonsense now that even the President, who had previously been trying to minimize the threat, has endorsed a 100k-240k estimate in the US....

uh...

Sorry.  While I was typing this in the hopes of quieting the "seasonal flu" nonsense down, someone decided to uncritically cite numbers from the Chinese government as evidence that COVID is nothing.

I give up.  Last one out of this thread please turn off the lights.

• Haha 5
13 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

The RATE. It’s cited. You’re not quoting me, you’re quoting a medical journal. Take your numbers:

40% of population gets it = 130M

130M x 0.1% (same rate as flu) = 130,000 deaths

Currently projecting 100,000+.

So again I ask, what aren’t you grasping? 

Ya, you quoted the medical journal therefore I’m quoting what you are saying. This doesn’t have the same death rate as the flu is the point. It’s at LEAST ten times higher and listed as such by both the CDC and WHO. So with what you are projecting for multiply deaths by ten. That’s the point. This isn’t the flu. It’s much, much deadlier and by posting false info like that the death rate is similar when that’s been proven patently false is arguing in bad faith. 

10 minutes ago, cornerback said:

please...its not like the flu. watch trumps presser today. he walked back his own Talking Point from recent weeks. as you should too. Trump  slowly gets it. took weeks. i hope its not too late and everyone will understand it and act accordingly.

I’m assuming you’re talking to me, and this is part of the problem. The link I shared was a medical journal that included Dr. Fauci saying once this is done, the death rate will be akin to the seasonal flu. It’s going to be Way more deadly because of all the things we know about how contagious it is, lack of ventilators, etc. It was a sentence about rate. And the suggested numbers today bare that out.

But one person can’t grasp the point, continue using strawman arguments, then someone pops in and sees that one part and thinks I’m comparing it to the flu.

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

When I go into any store I wear a hat & have a mask don’t wear gloves. Wash hands before and after shopping 

I've seen others do this, and I'm guilty myself, but people don't always buy what they pick up, that's my reason for the gloves. After returning home with my goods, I'll wipe everything not fresh with sani-wipes, or my home made aloe gel (the green or clear sunburn gel)mixed with alcohol. Gives me peace of mind...masks are not available here yet, unless you go to the dr. office where they make you put one on before entering, so that's not an option...anyway, any precautions you can take are advised..

11 minutes ago, Big League Choo said:

A large number of people in this thread arent/havent 

Oh we have. It’s the same thing with the seasonal flu though. Statistics for that only account for those who have tested positive for the flu. How many times have you had the flu and actually have been tested? So that variable is considered controlled already when speaking of the death rates of two viruses that spread similarly. Difference is, with the same rate of spread covid kills over ten times as much.  

1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

Ya, you quoted the medical journal therefore I’m quoting what you are saying. This doesn’t have the same death rate as the flu is the point. It’s at LEAST ten times higher and listed as such by both the CDC and WHO. So with what you are projecting for multiply deaths by ten. That’s the point. This isn’t the flu. It’s much, much deadlier and by posting false info like that the death rate is similar when that’s been proven patently false is arguing in bad faith. 

Go click on the link. It’s a medical journal. Actually read it. Then DM me to further this conversation. 

5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Why do you believe China? From local accounts they believe at least 40 K deaths. 

So you don’t believe China but you believe the United States Media. C’mon man.

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’m assuming you’re talking to me, and this is part of the problem. The link I shared was a medical journal that included Dr. Fauci saying once this is done, the death rate will be akin to the seasonal flu. It’s going to be Way more deadly because of all the things we know about how contagious it is, lack of ventilators, etc. It was a sentence about rate. And the suggested numbers today bare that out.

But one person can’t grasp the point, continue using strawman arguments, then someone pops in and sees that one part and thinks I’m comparing it to the flu.

Your citation and quote you posted literally said it was akin the flu. Don’t see how it’s a straw man to point that out. You saying you don’t have a post with that quote directly in it about a page back?

3 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Your citation and quote you posted literally said it was akin the flu. Don’t see how it’s a straw man to point that out. You saying you don’t have a post with that quote directly in it about a page back?

No, it didn’t literally say that. “...may ultimately...”

So yeah, strawman. 

3 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Go click on the link. It’s a medical journal. Actually read it. Then DM me to further this conversation. 

Real quick in that journal find any statistics past the 26th of February for me. I read the entire thing. They bring that specific date up about three or four times but no other later date. You know what that means right? All data was collected that day or earlier. You are basing your opinion on something that was actually written over a month ago when as it states: ... a total of 2918 cases had been confirmed in 37 other countries or territories.

As well as this: Community spread in the United States could require a shift from containment to mitigation strategies such as social distancing in order to reduce transmission. Such strategies could include isolating ill persons (including voluntary isolation at home), school closures, and telecommuting where possible

This was actually written in February before any schools were even closed in the US and we had no guidelines on social distancing, it was just published the 26th of March. 

A wise man once said:

In life, it's important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong....

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

So you don’t believe China but you believe the United States Media. C’mon man.

so a global Virus kills 3k chinese and  idk 50k+ americans? so how you rate trump handling it? because there is no scale to Show how  bad he did then.