NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Just now, cornerback said:

so a global Virus kills 3k chinese and  idk 50k+ americans? so how you rate trump handling it? because there is no scale to Show how  bad he did then.

First off, never believe any of the Chinese statistics. They are saying they are fine and have no new cases yet closing down theaters and such again. They are in the midst of a second peak and yet the statistics they are showing the world say they are recovered. They are blatantly hiding the numbers so their populace doesn’t revolt (IMO) 

• Like 1
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crazy with no sports. Talked to my wife last night.  Apparently works in HR. Nice girl. 

Giancarlo Stanton just sprained his wrist washing his hands

This is the rant of someone who’s never had to sacrifice anything or even think about anyone other than themself. Just grotesque.

Posted Images

I'm smart enough to know I'm not smart to give advice or make predictions on complex issues or situations. Fortunately, I'm smart enough to know who I should trust and should listen to and who is full of of sh** on those complex issues. Too many don't know who to trust and It's a problem!

Minimizing the seriousness of this virus is bad, minimizing death from this virus is good.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, MrBrett said:

I'm smart enough to know I'm not smart to give advice or make predictions on complex issues or situations. Fortunately, I'm smart enough to know who I should trust and should listen to and who is full of of sh** on those complex issues. Too many don't know who to trust and It's a problem!

Minimizing the seriousness of this virus is bad, minimizing death from this virus is good.

Minimizing things like this just lead to it being worse. People need to understand that until there is either a definitive cure or a vaccine relaxing social distancing standards will just lead to a new outbreak. The number one thing is to keep our hospitals from being overrun. If they get overcrowded the death numbers will spike too. 

6 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

First off, never believe any of the Chinese statistics. They are saying they are fine and have no new cases yet closing down theaters and such again. They are in the midst of a second peak and yet the statistics they are showing the world say they are recovered. They are blatantly hiding the numbers so their populace doesn’t revolt (IMO) 

i dont believe them. i think there are 50k+ dead in China.

7 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Minimizing things like this just lead to it being worse. People need to understand that until there is either a definitive cure or a vaccine relaxing social distancing standards will just lead to a new outbreak. The number one thing is to keep our hospitals from being overrun. If they get overcrowded the death numbers will spike too. 

Agreed, this is undoubtedly the short term priority. I also agree the other difficulty is going to be once we start relaxing social distancing measures we’ll start seeing major regional outbreaks again that could overwhelm hospitals. But at some point we’re going to have to start getting back to some semblance of normalcy. The economy and our psyche can’t go on like this for another 6 months. The scenarios I could see to make this happen are:

- Vaccine. Obviously, this would be the home run scenario. It also seems like the furthest away. I’ve seen estimates anywhere from 12-24 months. 
- Development of a drug to reduce infection/transmission/symptoms caused by the virus. This would be the next best scenario, and I know there are 100+ trials for promising but unproven drugs going on for this now. 
- Development in testing technology/mass testing. The is where we seem to be making the fastest progress. We now have a 5 minute test, drive through testing etc. there’s still a lot of work to be done but I’m seeing some encouraging signs here. I could see a scenario where people can do a 5 minute drive through test every day or their way to work or something like that.

Even with the testing getting better there’d still be a “wack a mole” scenario they’ve described with certain cities having to put social distancing back in place when an outbreak starts. Hopefully one of the first two points come sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Agreed, this is undoubtedly the short term priority. I also agree the other difficulty is going to be once we start relaxing social distancing measures we’ll start seeing major regional outbreaks again that could overwhelm hospitals. But at some point we’re going to have to start getting back to some semblance of normalcy. The economy and our psyche can’t go on like this for another 6 months. The scenarios I could see to make this happen are:

- Vaccine. Obviously, this would be the home run scenario. It also seems like the furthest away. I’ve seen estimates anywhere from 12-24 months. 
- Development of a drug to reduce infection/transmission/symptoms caused by the virus. This would be the next best scenario, and I know there are 100+ trials for promising but unproven drugs going on for this now. 
- Development in testing technology/mass testing. The is where we seem to be making the fastest progress. We now have a 5 minute test, drive through testing etc. there’s still a lot of work to be done but I’m seeing some encouraging signs here. I could see a scenario where people can do a 5 minute drive through test every day or their way to work or something like that.

Even with the testing getting better there’d still be a “wack a mole” scenario they’ve described with certain cities having to put social distancing back in place when an outbreak starts. Hopefully one of the first two points come sooner rather than later. 

Honestly I don’t see how we can relax any restrictions until either a vaccine hits the market or the numbers of severe cases are down a significant amount, and even then you’re just asking for another peak which shuts everything down again without the vaccine. Our country couldn’t afford to lift anything and have it get worse than it was. There would be riots. 

Also, have you seen where the swab goes for the test? Nobody is gonna wanna do that everyday on the way to work. 

Edited by daynlokki
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Honestly I don’t see how we can relax any restrictions until either a vaccine hits the market or the numbers of severe cases are down a significant amount, and even then you’re just asking for another peak which shuts everything down again without the vaccine. Our country couldn’t afford to lift anything and have it get worse than it was. There would be riots. 

Also, have you seen where the swab goes for the test? Nobody is gonna wanna do that everyday on the way to work. 

I acknowledged we’re not there yet on the testing, but we are seeing quick improvements on the technology there. The testing is already much better and much more efficient than it was even a few weeks ago. If that trend continues it could be a part of a temporary solution to get us back to somewhat normal life and help bridge the gap until a vaccine comes out. Though I agree there would need to be some levels of social distancing measures in place (strict maximum on number of people allowed to enter a bar, for example). This combined with most people doing close to daily testing and quarantining when positive could be a medium term solution. 

3 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

I acknowledged we’re not there yet on the testing, but we are seeing quick improvements on the technology there. The testing is already much better and much more efficient than it was even a few weeks ago. If that trend continues it could be a part of a temporary solution to get us back to somewhat normal life and help bridge the gap until a vaccine comes out. Though I agree there would need to be some levels of social distancing measures in place (strict maximum on number of people allowed to enter a bar, for example). This combined with most people doing close to daily testing and quarantining when positive could be a medium term solution. 

We have nobody who would even be able to supervise testing conditions such as that. Nobody would get tested. They’d just go to work. 

2 hours ago, reichl555 said:

China has 1.4 Billion people.

80,000 cases of Coronavirus.

3,000 died from it.

Already controlled. 

Ahaahahahahahaaaa!

"already controlled"

Didn't think anyone here was quite this ignorant, yet here we are... not only believing the numbers the Chinese government releases, but thinking they already have the thing under control! 

• Like 5
16 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

“And I must perform the surgery to get paid.” 

A million time this...

Boston Medical Center and Bon Secours Mercy Health joined a growing list of hospital systems that will furlough workers, partly due to lack of revenue from cancelled elective procedures. (FierceHealthcare)

Sale and Thor are scum for going along with the procedures

12 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Much like when it comes to a contract negotiation, every fantasy sports person is an accountant, and when it comes to a criminal issue we're all attorneys.

Everyone getting their postgrad at Rotoworld University.  🤣

If I spent as much time studying as I have arguing with people in sports message boards, I'd be Dr Fauci.

• Haha 6

why do they cancel Wimbledon. they could still have tennis without fans in attendance, who are quiet when the match is going on anyway. the players are on opposite sides for social distancing and so is the umpire. this could give some sports for people to watch. same thing goes for golf.

41 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

why do they cancel Wimbledon. they could still have tennis without fans in attendance, who are quiet when the match is going on anyway. the players are on opposite sides for social distancing and so is the umpire. this could give some sports for people to watch. same thing goes for golf.

Just enjoy wrestlemania this weekend 

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

the organization of a Major Event like this involves much more than 2 Players and a ref. europe is basicly shut down. even with the Apex in 7-21 days you ll have the other side of the curve  there too.

England especially was late on the Response. they wasted 2-4 weeks like the US (and will suffer more, longer and in total deaths). here in Germany we call Boris Johnson the mini-Trump. so England will run through this even longer, like the US.

• Like 1
Just now, cornerback said:

the organization of a Major Event like this involves much more than 2 Players and a ref. europe is basicly shut down. even with the Apex in 7-21 days you ll have the other side of the curve  there too.

England especially was late on the Response. they wasted 2-4 weeks like the US (and will suffer more, longer and in total deaths). here in Germany we call Boris Johnson the mini-Trump. so England will run through this even longer, like the US.

Don't forget the virus can live on a surface for hours so between each set when they switch sides you have to completely sanitize the court.

5 minutes ago, cornerback said:

This horse has been beaten to death on multiple threads.  Some people just don't get it.

• Like 1

I’d be surprised if there was a truly international sporting event held this year. Too much risk and no one in charge wants to be the one contributing to another outbreak, no matter how small.

I don't think Wrestlemania has been good for years.  Often a disappointment, the current WWE product.  I always looked forward to the HOF ceremonies the night before so sucks that won't be happening.  I fully expect the Wrestlemania to suck, especially when its taped, but I'll watch it anyway.

2 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

This horse has been beaten to death on multiple threads.  Some people just don't get it.

Count me among those I guess.  Wimbledon's biggest problem, I'd guess, is international travel.  Clearly, they can't have the same event.

At the same time, I think they could stage some tennis matches and show them on TV. It's 2020, you don't NEED a 100 man production crew to get some decent video of people playing tennis.   I noticed that the golf course near me is open, with restrictions.  Similar sport, in that it's a small number of competitors who don't need to go within six feet even for a second.  

I think one big reason they aren't trying too hard on this yet is PR.  They don't want to be seen as taking this lightly, and they don't want to send the message that social distancing should be taken lightly.  As sometimes happens, I think perhaps the extremists have shot themselves in the foot because everybody has to move further in the opposite direction to try to cancel them out.  In other words, if everyone recognized the reality and severity of the situation, you could say "yes with extreme precautions we can put together a tennis event that generations tens of millions of dollars, but obviously you shouldn't be playing basketball at the park."  But you have a bunch of yahoos, some of whom are world leaders, who have kind of been on the fence as to whether this is even real.  You don't want to be talked about for years as having taken this lightly, even if you do make it safe.  

However, once testing becomes widely available and the death toll silences all but the most dire had tin foilers I think we should start to see it.  Maybe you kick it off with a charity event, which would raise a fortune.  A sport like Tennis has a big advantage because you can easily screen out some players, and could even have an event just for people who've already carried the virus.  A bit harder to do in baseball. e.g. if a team has 3 SPs who aren't allowed to play it's a big problem.