NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

so much easier when its the only thing on

In canada,   Curling  kept on going for like 2 weeks after every other sport stopped. Still couldnt watch it.

• Haha 5
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crazy with no sports. Talked to my wife last night.  Apparently works in HR. Nice girl. 

Giancarlo Stanton just sprained his wrist washing his hands

This is the rant of someone who’s never had to sacrifice anything or even think about anyone other than themself. Just grotesque.

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

In canada,   Curling  kept on going for like 2 weeks after every other sport stopped. Still couldnt watch it.

LOL.  I'd rather watch curling over wrestling any day because it is actual competition and the people playing it look "normal."

• Like 1
4 hours ago, cornerback said:

the organization of a Major Event like this involves much more than 2 Players and a ref. europe is basicly shut down. even with the Apex in 7-21 days you ll have the other side of the curve  there too.

England especially was late on the Response. they wasted 2-4 weeks like the US (and will suffer more, longer and in total deaths). here in Germany we call Boris Johnson the mini-Trump. so England will run through this even longer, like the US.

people really can't organize this without being close with another? I don't believe that.

organizers should be able to do this via video. workers in attendance should be able to sanitize the arena without being close to someone else.

Curling is one of those sports where, I'm never going to be a fan, but I find it highly entertaining to watch a few times a year.  Irish Hurling, darts, maybe pool... all that stuff that used to be on the second tier sports channels before they replaced it all with my least favorite show, "Two Morons Shout at Each Other."

I think I'm gonna watch some Irish Hurling online, actually.  The games will all be new to me. Crazy sport if you're not familiar.  Then cool off with some curling.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

people really can't organize this without being close with another? I don't believe that.

organizers should be able to do this via video. workers in attendance should be able to sanitize the arena without being close to someone else.

On my God, you can't be serious.  Yeah, don't cancel Wimbledon.  Instead let's just fly in scores and scores of the very top tennis players in the world all leaving from different airports with different grades of health-wise provisions and then they come over in airplanes that are glorified petri dishes where they will be exposed to hundreds of other people.  Then Heathrow has to deal with them and they with the officials there.  Then they have to be housed and fed and transported by hundreds of Brits.

Then maintenance and janitors and refs and organizers and ball boys and girls have to go out and be involved.  The network covering it has to do set-up preparations that involves scores of people.

And this doesn't even take into consideration all the  law breaking that would go in Britain and the home countries of these players to travel there and then stage this.  More than 10 gathered in a spot.  Some countries have bans of entry back even of citizens now so some players could be trapped in the UK for months away from their families.  Britain could have a ban on foreigners entry by then.  Right now people outside of Europe can't enter the EU at all. Period.  Britain could be next on travel bans.

Also part of the US Open facilities are being converted into an emergency hospital area.  We could see the same thing happen with the Wimbledon facilities for London soon.

Short version of the above.  Tennis is NOT something essential at this point.  People being adult and responsible and making their top priority doing their part to stop the spread and save lives is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I don't think Wrestlemania has been good for years.  Often a disappointment, the current WWE product.  I always looked forward to the HOF ceremonies the night before so sucks that won't be happening.  I fully expect the Wrestlemania to suck, especially when its taped, but I'll watch it anyway.

Wrestlemania will always suck if they continue to showcase 50 year old part-time wrestlers fighting for title belts.

Edited by Evincar

California school board recommended keeping schools closed for the remainder of the year due to this virus. It will ultimately be left up to each district, but this is a sign of how dire it is here. Some might say this is an over reaction, but our children's' health is more valuable than anyone's opinion on this matter. Even if they are at a lower risk, the potential of them transmitting it to their parents or other family members is reason enough..It will be interesting to see how the rest of the country addresses this, oh, and I don't see baseball returning any time soon, if at all this year, at least here in Ca..

Edited by FISH ON
7 minutes ago, FISH ON said:

California school board recommended keeping schools closed for the remainder of the year due to this virus. It will ultimately be left up to each district, but this is a sign of how dire it is here. Some might say this is an over reaction, but our children's' health is more valuable than anyone's opinion on this matter. Even if they are at a lower risk, the potential of them transmitting it to their parents or other family members is reason enough..It will be interesting to see how the rest of the country addresses this, oh, and I don't see baseball returning any time soon, if at all this year, at least here in Ca..

The kids are off so they can go to more mid May baseball games! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Hey anybody read this news story where there was talk about extending the season into November and December and playing in warm weather stadiums only?

Yes.  That was posted awhile ago here.  Things change on a daily basis though.  With Toronto shut down though at least June 30th for any public events at all and the US government pushing the goalposts back constantly for a return to "normal' as the projections grow worse, I imagine baseball's plans will change too.

6 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Hey anybody read this news story where there was talk about extending the season into November and December and playing in warm weather stadiums only?

I doubt it will happen as the virus will still be around then with no vaccine.  Players would all have to leave their family for the full duration of a season to play. There is also no definitive proof that warm weather will slow this at all as of now.  If it acted like a normal virus maybe, but there are things it does already that nobody understands (why is our youth mostly unaffected compared to the flu which kills the young).  I believe SARS' original outbreak ramped up through the summer months as well, and that's what this is closest to.  This is like a less deadly SARS that spreads easier than the flu.  

The British Open, oldest championship in gplf has now been cancelled. It was supposed to take place in the middle of July, and The ATP and WTP tennis orgs have said all events until July 13 have either been postponed or cancelled. So how does baseball or any other sport start before that or even at all.

On 3/3/2020 at 7:42 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

Ironically, in the same tier as stomach flu (norovirus). Noro is much more brutal but IBS tends to be a live long issue.

So definitely go IBS in keeper and dynasty formats?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

The British Open, oldest championship in gplf has now been cancelled. It was supposed to take place in the middle of July, and The ATP and WTP tennis orgs have said all events until July 13 have either been postponed or cancelled. So how does baseball or any other sport start before that or even at all.

Feels like if baseball can’t be started before the end of July it will be cancelled. This is just trending horribly with Florida only issuing stay-at-home orders because their governor got dragged by just about every national news outlet. Texas has done nothing. This is just incompetence on a monumental scale.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Feels like if baseball can’t be started before the end of July it will be cancelled. This is just trending horribly with Florida only issuing stay-at-home orders because their governor got dragged by just about every national news outlet. Texas has done nothing. This is just incompetence on a monumental scale.

Doesn't make much difference right now...Michigan has a stay at home order for a while and we are soon to be the third highest cases. Texas has less than half the cases so whatever they are doing it is working...for now

3 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Doesn't make much difference right now...Michigan has a stay at home order for a while and we are soon to be the third highest cases. Texas has less than half the cases so whatever they are doing it is working...for now

What they’re doing is nothing combined with little testing, which suppresses case numbers. They’re a ticking time bomb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1