NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

8 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Yes  they are out 80 days a year but not all at one time, big difference. it will most likely be 4 months if they start when they want to, mid May.

Guess we'll see.

I have no idea if this is going to come to fruition or not.  Maybe it's not necessary.

But I think you guys are telling yourselves there's no chance based on your own personal beliefs and aren't really listening to what these guys are saying, or ignoring the big glaring obvious motivation for why they'd try to make it happen.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crazy with no sports. Talked to my wife last night.  Apparently works in HR. Nice girl. 

Giancarlo Stanton just sprained his wrist washing his hands

This is the rant of someone who’s never had to sacrifice anything or even think about anyone other than themself. Just grotesque.

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

One less year of service time. Also realize anyone with this would also qualify as a super 2 player automatically. Financially this is bad for the game in any small market. It was a part of the original deal they made. No matter if they cancel the season or play a smaller one, anyone currently with an mlb deal will receive a full year of service time (based on the roster lock date already passed), if the season is shortened anyone playing a singular game will receive a full year of service time. That was the trade off for the 4% of money during the delay. 

I'm still confused. Can you provide a link that says if a player gets called up for the first time, no matter the time in the season or how long he is up for, that he gets a full year of service time?

I'm not saying that isn't true, but I had never heard that. I know with no season, everyone just gets what they got last year, which is a full year of time for a lot of players who are under team friendly team controlled contracts.

Edited by brockpapersizer
6 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Key word being "everyone."

“If we agreed to it, I think guys would follow it,” Wood said. “Because nobody wants to be the idiot that is like sneaking out or going other places and all of a sudden, boom, that person gets sick, and it’s like, ‘Now you just messed everything up.'”

The financial incentives for the players are both obvious and enormous. Without games, they don’t get paid. That will be enough of a lure for many. And in a theoretical quarantine, Wood suggested, the shame of popping the bubble might prevent players from misbehaving.

“If we agreed to it, I think guys would follow it,” Wood said. “Because nobody wants to be the idiot that is like sneaking out or going other places and all of a sudden, boom, that person gets sick, and it’s like, ‘Now you just messed everything up.'

There is the full context of that quote. Wood was saying if they agreed to play in the quarantine that they would not misbehave. 

Just now, tucker26 said:

There is the full context of that quote. Wood was saying if they agreed to play in the quarantine that they would not misbehave. 

That's right.

But I'd say it's unlikely he'd even go there if it wasn't a serious topic of discussion that might get a majority vote.

You're right though, I misunderstood the quote initially, that was my mistake.

Lots of the players, Manfred and MLB people are making fence riding statements. With all our free time, we now are gripping to these words. The thing about cryptic messages is that the subjective nature of them can be used he support an argument either way. Fact is no one knows for sure as this situation is fluid. Lots of fence riding statements out there to grasp on to recently. There have been lots of push back on AZ plan as initially suggested through players, just as much as there have been guys saying sure, let's play ball. It's all over the place. We are in the thick of this thing now and it's gonna be a while before things take shape. I think we are over analyzing. 

Edited by tucker26
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, tucker26 said:

Lots of the players, Manfred and MLB people are making fence riding statements. With all our free time, we now are gripping to these words. The thing about cryptic messages is that the subjective nature of them can be used he support an argument either way. Fact is no one knows for sure as this situation is fluid. Lots of fence riding statements out there to grasp on to recently. There have been lots of push back on AZ plan as initially suggested through players, just as much as there have been guys saying sure, let's play ball. It's all over the place. We are in the thick of this thing now and it's gonna be a while before things take shape. I think we are over analyzing. 

I know I am, LOL.

We don't know much about anything these days.

Guess we'll see how it goes.  I'm just gonna quit responding to people who are convinced they know what's going to happen one way or another and try and focus on the facts.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'm still confused. Can you provide a link that says if a player gets called up for the first time, no matter the time in the season or how long he is up for, that he gets a full year of service time?

I'm not saying that isn't true, but I had never heard that. I know with no season, everyone just gets what they got last year, which is a full year of time for a lot of players who are under team friendly team controlled contracts.

Read the agreement for the delay. It’s spelled out in there. 

5 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Read the agreement for the delay. It’s spelled out in there. 

I have, I don't see it in there. Can you just highlight the part of the agreement with a link that says first day called up in the majors in 2020 is a full year of service time?

Anyone else here heard that prospects called up for the first time get a full year of service time for their first day up if they're called up at any point in a 2020 season?

5 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I have, I don't see it in there. Can you just highlight the part of the agreement with a link that says first day called up in the majors in 2020 is a full year of service time?

Anyone else here heard that prospects called up for the first time get a full year of service time for their first day up if they're called up at any point in a 2020 season?

The biggest issue in the negotiations was service time, and the two sides agreed that if there’s a season of any length, players would receive credit for a full year as if it was a regular 162-game season. And if the season is canceled, players will receive the same service time they accrued in 2019.

May have read that wrong. Service time could be prorated there but how would they do that in a 60 game season?

9 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

The biggest issue in the negotiations was service time, and the two sides agreed that if there’s a season of any length, players would receive credit for a full year as if it was a regular 162-game season. And if the season is canceled, players will receive the same service time they accrued in 2019.

May have read that wrong. Service time could be prorated there but how would they do that in a 60 game season?

Yes you read it wrong. Regardless of interpretation first time player in the majors would NOT get a full year on day 1. It's either prorated or minor leaguers getting screwed, and I lean getting screwed.

"and the two sides agreed that if there’s a season of any length, players would receive credit for a full year as if it was a regular 162-game season".

Seems to me like this  means if a player like Mackenzie Gore is called up on day 1 and is with the main roster for the full season (lets pretend it's 60 days for a 60 game season), then he would just get credit for 60 days, which will be credited for under half a season. This is actually pretty bad for the players. Hopefully it's prorated, that seems fairest.

If there's no season, then everyone gets what they got last year, and someone like Mackenzie Gore gains no service time. 

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Yes you read it wrong. Regardless of interpretation first time player in the majors would get a full year on day 1. It's either prorated or minor leaguers getting screwed, and I lean getting screwed.

"and the two sides agreed that if there’s a season of any length, players would receive credit for a full year as if it was a regular 162-game season".

Seems to me like this  means if a player like Mackenzie Gore is called up on day 1 and is with the main roster for the full season (lets pretend it's 60 days for a 60 game season), then he would just get credit for 60 days, which will be credited for under half a season. This is actually pretty bad for the players. Hopefully it's prorated, that seems fairest.

If there's no season, then everyone gets what they got last year, and someone like Mackenzie Gore gains no service time. 

The prorating would be ridiculous. That’s like 2.7 days accrued for every day (off the top of my head). That also reads as if there is a player up for a 60 game season and they were up for all the games they get the full year of service time, not just 60 days. 

Edited by daynlokki
39 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Guess we'll see.

I have no idea if this is going to come to fruition or not.  Maybe it's not necessary.

But I think you guys are telling yourselves there's no chance based on your own personal beliefs and aren't really listening to what these guys are saying, or ignoring the big glaring obvious motivation for why they'd try to make it happen.

I'm not saying there is no chance. There is a lot to be ironed out. If they can do it and make it safe for everyone I would love it.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Ah dang it I was coming back with a joke and gif about Trout staying home and missing playoffs again anyway 

spacer.png

You can't put a price on that quality of a setup to a joke.

Although if you could, 96% of Trout's salary this year is $31,920,000.  So there's that.  🤣

Edited by JE7HorseGod
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

You can't put a price on that quality of a setup to a joke.

Although if you could, 96% of Trout's salary this year is $31,920,000.  So there's that.  🤣

It’s a good thing if the league was canceled he would make $150k a month then right?

4 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

It’s a good thing if the league was canceled he would make $150k a month then right?

If you still not getting why there's incentive for a guy to make 34 million as opposed to 1.8 million, I doubt there's much else I can say here duder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

If you still not getting why there's incentive for a guy to make 34 million as opposed to 1.8 million, I doubt there's much else I can say here duder.

If you’re still not getting the incentive as to why someone would want to stay at home with their very pregnant wife and soon to be newborn child instead of potentially spreading a virus to them that has killed 1900 Americans just today right as his child is born then I doubt there is much else I can say to you. Take it you don’t have kids?

• Like 1

Especially when he’s made as much as he already has in his career. 34 million may seem like a lot to you. But how much more does he still have on his contract after that? Seems a lot less important then when you compare it to the health and safety of your family. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

If you’re still not getting the incentive as to why someone would want to stay at home with their very pregnant wife and soon to be newborn child instead of potentially spreading a virus to them that has killed 1900 Americans just today right as his child is born then I doubt there is much else I can say to you. Take it you don’t have kids?

I've got a ten month old.

Seeing him born was the best day of my life.  I wouldn't have missed it for the world.  And I totally get why a father would decide not to go play baseball in a bubble and miss it himself.

That said, I've never been in position to make 34 million dollars.  So I can't say I'd fault anyone, or assume the choices of anyone who would.

To say nothing for the countless players who don't have pregnant wives or girlfriends and just want to play ball.

You don't know what's going to happen my man.  Time to be ok with that.

Edited by JE7HorseGod
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

NJ is now requiring everyone in supermarkets, shoppers and staff, to wear masks. 

Good. Should have been done a while ago. This procedure is being followed in China and Germany will be following the same protocol shortly (masks required on transit, public buildings, basically outside of your home)

What happens if caught without? Fine? Prison? If you know. Good on NJ for enforcing this though.

On 4/8/2020 at 6:22 AM, azeri98 said:

There are so many problems with this model. 

1. sequestration. If a member of a players family gets it chances are or in most cases you are not allowed to be around that person. I don't care who you are I'm pretty sure in 99% of the cases a player will pick being with his family in a time of crisis over playing baseball.

2. The heat. Where are the players going to get relief. They can't go into the dugouts as a group. they have to sit in the stands for the whole game.

3. social distancing. Not having an umpire is a good idea but half the outs are made at bases in close quarters.

4. Strategy. Having guys sitting 6 feet apart allows no strategy being discussed, you know the Astros or Red Sox will have mics aimed at the stands not to mention someone who can read lips with binoculars. 

5. Habits. how many times does a pitcher put his hand in his mouth or lick it? Quite often. Are you going to ban chaw, gum and sunflower seeds? These guys spit hundreds of times during the games not to mention sharing gatorade tubs where they take a few sips and throw the rest of it onto the ground. Has anyone seen the floor of a dugout after the game is over? It's disgusting. They will have to stop all congratulatory behavior, no hand slapping, high fives, back bumps, chest bumps. 

6. Sweat. playing in Arizona this will be a big issue, someone will get their sweat on someone else, no getting around it, sharing bullpens and on deck circles. It's a huge undertaking. I don't even know if they have thought of some of these things and I'm sure I'm missing other things.

Chewing gum and sunflower seeds are going to be the deal breaker in this plan.

• Haha 1