NBC Sports Edge Forums

Juan Soto 2020 Outlook

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's ease up on the MVP talk until we see if he breaks camp with the team. 

This guys game log is orgasmic...

This prompted me to check out his BR similar players...Assuming he does make the team of course...He's on pace with Tony Conigliaro...So meh...and a few others...https://www.baseball-reference.com/pla

Posted Images

On 4/15/2020 at 12:46 AM, tucker26 said:

This prompted me to check out his BR similar players...Assuming he does make the team of course...He's on pace with Tony Conigliaro...So meh...and a few others...https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sotoju01.shtml

I agree with the consensus here and have taken Soto in the first round.  

But these comparisons hold less water now because player development has sped up so much.  There was a time when Nomar Mazara was on pace to be HOF.  Nobody seemed to think that was likely, but I was sold on the idea he'd likely become pretty good.  More importantly, I've heard much reference to studies suggesting players are often at their best right away now.

Of course, we don't need Soto to take some big step forward. He is already a vicious beast. However, I wouldn't take him ahead of Lindor on the theory he could break out even more. Sure he COULD.  But IDK how likely it is.  

53 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

I agree with the consensus here and have taken Soto in the first round.  

But these comparisons hold less water now because player development has sped up so much.  There was a time when Nomar Mazara was on pace to be HOF.  Nobody seemed to think that was likely, but I was sold on the idea he'd likely become pretty good.  More importantly, I've heard much reference to studies suggesting players are often at their best right away now.

Of course, we don't need Soto to take some big step forward. He is already a vicious beast. However, I wouldn't take him ahead of Lindor on the theory he could break out even more. Sure he COULD.  But IDK how likely it is.  

Wait what? Mazara had a .739 OPS at age 21 when he came up. That was never special. Soto had a .923 OPS at age 19 and a .949 OPS at age 20. Mazara was never on pace to be a HOFer lol, and I have no idea where you got that.

As for your other statement, the great Al Kaline came up at 19, never even played one game in the minors, and won the Batting Title at age 20. He of course is an exception and not the rule, but so is Soto.

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, Nix said:

Ouch! Well, this is a rough opening day so far. I wonder what info, if any will be given. Time missed, 14 days quarantine? Or can he return sooner?

Here we go again.  14 day quarantine is for people "exposed" to someone with the virus, not someone who has it.  Why do people keep getting this mixed up?  Don''t mean to pick on you individually.  It is just because I keep seeing this auto-reaction here from numerous posters equating the procedure concerning exposure and quarantining to actually getting the virus for some strange and unending illogical reason.  Why after roughly half a year do we still have this totally mixed up on posts online.  Oranges and apples.

He will be quarantined for as long as it takes for the virus to run it's course whether days, weeks or months.  Then he will have to pass two tests in a row that come back negative.  And many people feel exhausted that come through this with even mild symptoms.  Here is a current baseball example.  E-Rod recovered, had his two negatives tests, re-joined the team and now this:

Eduardo Rodriguez has been shut down from baseball activities due to "minor complications" related to COVID-19.

Rodriguez threw a bullpen session on Saturday at Fenway Park, but apparently didn't feel so great afterward. He was a couple weeks late arriving to summer camp after testing positive for COVID-19, and it's unclear when he might be an option for the Red Sox starting rotation. That pitching staff in Boston is looking rough.

Source: Sean McAdam on Twitter                Jul 23, 2020, 1:18 PM ET

This virus is no joke and there is no telling when or even if Soto will be back this season.  Odds say he will be back this season most likely but no one knows what after effects will be felt by which player.  Some may seem fine upon return; some may not.

FYI Roto blurb on this:

Nationals placed OF Juan Soto on the 10-day injured list with COVID-19.

Soto has tested positive but is said to be asymptomatic at the moment. This is a nightmare scenario for the Nationals and for Major League Baseball with Washington set to host the Yankees on Opening Night. At the time of the announcement, first pitch was just five hours away. Soto obviously won't be in the Nats' starting lineup on Thursday and he may have to miss multiple weeks of action. The young slugger was going 12th overall in the average Yahoo draft this spring and summer.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter   Jul 23, 2020, 2:22 PM ET

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Here we go again.  14 day quarantine is for people "exposed" to someone with the virus, not someone who has it.  Why do people keep getting this mixed up?  Don''t mean to pick on you individually.  It is just because I keep seeing this auto-reaction here from numerous posters equating the procedure concerning exposure and quarantining to actually getting the virus for some strange and unending illogical reason.  Why after roughly half a year do we still have this totally mixed up on posts online.  Oranges and apples.

He will be quarantined for as long as it takes for the virus to run it's course whether days, weeks or months.  Then he will have to pass two tests in a row that come back negative.  And many people feel exhausted that come through this with even mild symptoms.  Here is a current baseball example.  E-Rod recovered, had his two negatives tests, re-joined the team and now this:

This virus is no joke and there is no telling when or even if Soto will be back this season.  Odds say he will be back this season most likely but no one knows what after effects will be felt by which player.  Some may seem fine upon return; some may not.

FYI Roto blurb on this:

Wow my first post here on the site and I get ridiculed for conversating on a forum chat and asking a question. I did not say 14 days. I simply asked and inquired if he could come back sooner. I guess I should know exactly every detail about Covid.

Edited by Nix
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

FYI Roto blurb on this:

It varies from person to person that's for sure.

Freddie Freeman tested positive on the 3rd and was back with the team on the 20th, and homered and doubled in an intrasquad game the next day.

Aroldis Chapman tested positive on the 12th and is still testing positive with no timeframe for return.

My parents got it, they tested negative 10 days after testing positive.

Some people have taken months.  It's wild man.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Nix said:

Wow my first post here on the site and I get ridiculed for conversating on a forum chat and asking a question. I did not say 14 days. I simply asked and inquired if he could come back sooner. I guess I should know exactly every detail about Covid.

He could come back sooner potentially, but I wouldn't count on it.  I would definitely plan at least a two week replacement.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, brooklynfinest42 said:

hopefully espn and yahoo do not take there sweet time with putting him on IL so we can actually replace him.. this blows. get well soon Soto

They will AFTER the team officially places him on and their data provider sub-contractor they use updates based on those official MLB/team designations. Nothing any platform can do until the Nats act officially.

6 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They will AFTER the team officially places him on and their data provider sub-contractor they use updates based on those official MLB/team designations. Nothing any platform can do until the Nats act officially.

ESPN has him listed as DTD. right now

There seems to be some thought this could be a false positive. He can come back after two straight negatives in 24 hours. 
Is it possible he misses a couple weeks? Sure. Also possible he’s back this weekend (he’s asymptomatic so no physical affects once he can return).

“When or if he’ll be back this season...” 😂😂😂

I see things haven’t changed. Welcome to the boards, @Nix 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Here’s a nice write up with the facts. Avoid the doomsdayers. 

Its comforting to see somebody touting reason on these boards. Same doom and gloom in the Freeman thread and low and behold, out a couple weeks and slated for the opening day lineup

• Like 2

Regardless of the justified knocking on people saying the sky is falling, this was still a pretty nasty surprise to see when I pulled up my team after work today.  Also, it's just another reminder of how much of a mess this season could very well be (even for fantasy).  Still, obviously not the end of the world.