NBC Sports Edge Forums

Juan Soto 2020 Outlook

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's ease up on the MVP talk until we see if he breaks camp with the team. 

This guys game log is orgasmic...

This prompted me to check out his BR similar players...Assuming he does make the team of course...He's on pace with Tony Conigliaro...So meh...and a few others...https://www.baseball-reference.com/pla

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

You don't think he'll need any time to ramp up? I'm asking because I'm strongly considering trading Alonso/Woodruff for Soto/Olson. 

It sounds more and more like a false positive to me. He was ready to go for Wednesday’s game so I’m sure he’ll be out there as soon as he’s cleared. And I’d love that deal if I were in your shoes.

Anybody know when we'll get the 2nd official covid results ? shouldn't that have been today since we got results yesterday ? 

Call me crazy but if he's negative a 2nd time before game time tomorrow, isn't there a good chance we see him playing as soon as tomorrow?

3 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Anybody know when we'll get the 2nd official covid results ? shouldn't that have been today since we got results yesterday ? 

Call me crazy but if he's negative a 2nd time before game time tomorrow, isn't there a good chance we see him playing as soon as tomorrow?

He’s on the 10 say IL. 

1 minute ago, coleporter said:

Good question. I don’t know.

No worries. THIS is the kind of information fantasy managers want to know right now, the fantasy baseball journalism industry is failing hard. 

It seems like a lot of writers are worried about writing about a player coming back or when he's coming back because we need to be sensitive about Covid-19 or something and baseball comes 2nd. But there job is to deliver shrewd information .. not be politically correct. 

Oh well.

Just now, exaulz said:

I have read somewhere that the Covid-19 list does not have a minimum required days

Thanks for confirming.

We should be getting Soto's 2nd test results ANY HOUR now and if he's negative before game time tomorrow, he'll be cleared to play. 

There's a possibility he's in the lineup tomorrow.

• Like 2

From NBC Sports

The Nationals also continue to wait on Juan Soto. He re-entered quarantine Thursday. As of 11 a.m. Sunday, the team did not have any test results for Soto from the Major League Baseball lab in Salt Lake City. Soto needs two negative tests 24 hours apart, to be asymptomatic for at least 72 hours, complete at least one antibody test following the positive diagnosis, undergo a cardiac evaluation from a team physician, and receive an assessment from a team physician that Soto no longer presents a risk of infection to others and is healthy enough to return to the field.

Soto spent the majority of Summer Camp in a two-week quarantine. He was rushing to get back once he returned July 17, only to have that path stalled by a positive test less than a week later.

“It’s definitely concerning,” Martinez said of the missed time. “We tried to push him to get as many at-bats as he possibly can when he missed so much time. Got him up to 20-something at-bats, and now all of a sudden, we kind of got to start over with him -- which stinks a little bit. Hopefully, it won’t take him as long.”

They have multiple instant tests and independent lab results but not the actual official results, and if he needs to ramp up...this could still be another few days at least. :(

15 minutes ago, exaulz said:

From NBC Sports

The Nationals also continue to wait on Juan Soto. He re-entered quarantine Thursday. As of 11 a.m. Sunday, the team did not have any test results for Soto from the Major League Baseball lab in Salt Lake City. Soto needs two negative tests 24 hours apart, to be asymptomatic for at least 72 hours, complete at least one antibody test following the positive diagnosis, undergo a cardiac evaluation from a team physician, and receive an assessment from a team physician that Soto no longer presents a risk of infection to others and is healthy enough to return to the field.

Soto spent the majority of Summer Camp in a two-week quarantine. He was rushing to get back once he returned July 17, only to have that path stalled by a positive test less than a week later.

“It’s definitely concerning,” Martinez said of the missed time. “We tried to push him to get as many at-bats as he possibly can when he missed so much time. Got him up to 20-something at-bats, and now all of a sudden, we kind of got to start over with him -- which stinks a little bit. Hopefully, it won’t take him as long.”

They have multiple instant tests and independent lab results but not the actual official results, and if he needs to ramp up...this could still be another few days at least. :(

To add more pressure to the proverbial brakes on Soto's return, Zimmerman (an analyst at Fangraphs) in his chat tonight speculated that it would take "at least a few weeks, maybe more" before Soto returns to the lineup. 

It sounds like they might want to put him on some kind of gradual schedule even after he's cleared so he can get some practice ABs/reps in before they throw him in the lineup.

The Nats have a playoff caliber team this year which should add extra pressure to get him back in live action, and Soto hasn't had any symptoms, is only 21 yrs old, and seems like the kind of talent that can hit the ground running even against major league pitching. 

I'm hoping he returns as soon as this week, but based on the evidence I'm seeing, it sounds like this could be a few weeks out still. 

Edited by EmbargoLifted

But yet according to Rotoworld and The Washington Post, he's already had one official negative test result. So, based on that, he should have already had his second test and they should have the results soon.

It's the media, so who knows what's right, but there's no reason why he shouldn't be cleared to do baseball activities again soon regardless. There's no reason for him to have to sit there and wait to be tested.

• Like 1

1st negative test was administered Thur which makes Sat the next possible test which means we could have results today/tomorrow but who knows. Plus he must show no symptoms for 72 hrs and pass the teams assessment. I’m guessing if we get a negative result today and he has been asymptotic we could see our boy Tue or Wednesday at the latest. Fingers crossed gents.

I'm so confused by this situation.

So, he tests positive on Thursday on standard test, also, he tests negative on multiple insta tests that same day and negative on the first standard test today?

Did he actually have it, or was the Thursday standard test a false positive?

4 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'm so confused by this situation.

So, he tests positive on Thursday on standard test, also, he tests negative on multiple insta tests that same day and negative on the first standard test today?

Did he actually have it, or was the Thursday standard test a false positive?

I don't think he tested positive, he was in contact with someone that had a confirmed case, so he needed to quarantine and get his 2 negative tests.

12 minutes ago, Bogey said:

I don't think he tested positive, he was in contact with someone that had a confirmed case, so he needed to quarantine and get his 2 negative tests.

No, he tested positive. Many are speculating that it was a false positive though (the test is like 97% accurate or something and with all the testing they are doing there's bound to be false positives). 

After his positive test, he's taken several tests from the team doctors (all negative results), and then two more tests from MLBs official Covid testing lab. We've gotten the results on one of those tests and still waiting the results for the 2nd test. 

Once 2nd test results come back, if negative, he'll be cleared officially to play. According to another post, he also needs to be cleared by doctors "that he isn't a threat to himself or other players"

Then there's the issue of lack of exhibition ABs and he might go through some practice/intrasquad ABs before getting back in the lineup. 

Regardless of all this, i have my fingers crossed we get those final results sometime today (maybe even before game time) and he's back in the lineup in the next day or two.

Edited by EmbargoLifted
  • Like 1

I think the problem/confusion with all of this is there's no precedent. 

Nobody knows how long all of these tests take, what the turn around on the results are, what the timeline is for the physician evaluation, how MLB teams are planning on handling a player's return once cleared, etc. etc. And given the secret nature most MLB teams like to run their organizations in, and given that there are no rules that they have to share information with the public, we're all left hoping/wondering with no real timeline in place. For all we know this process can take multiple weeks or it can take days. Everything I've seen so far from people close to MLB is that it's more likly going to take weeks.

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story