NBC Sports Edge Forums

CJ Abrams - SS SD

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems logical to give Kim and Marcano some leash while you can wait and see on their performance. Meanwhile, Abrams can add pressure to a call up (if he can play well whenever the MILB season starts)

7 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

what do you guys think w/ tatis injury? abrams or kim?

I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to post here. Kim 1000% they won’t rush Abrams as much as I’d love to see it 

Obviously a lot we don't know yet, before the injury Abrams would have had to set the world on fire I think to debut before September. Now, if the injury is long term and Kim is struggling, it seems very possible as early as May/June.

• Like 1

San Diego Padres beat writer Dennis Lin ruled out an Abrams promotion on a mailbag he just posted yesterday on The Athletic, but I think it was posted prior to the Tatis injury.

Here are a couple of things to consider:

1. AJ Preller doesn't operate like a conventional GM. The Tatis promotion to start the season in 2019 proves that. 

2. Abrams got an extended look in big league spring training games. Like many prospects this past March, a lot of it was related to having no 2020 minor league season and the Padres were simply trying to get him more exposure to pro pitching. But he did hit an opposite-field grand slam against the Brewers, which impressed me. 

I think the odds are against a promotion of Abrams, but I think you throw out all conventional wisdom with Preller. You never know how things might shake out and force the hand. The same thing happened with the Nationals and Juan Soto in 2018. 

• Like 1

Seems logical to give Kim and Marcano some leash while you can wait and see on their performance. Meanwhile, Abrams can add pressure to a call up (if he can play well whenever the MILB season starts) and if the SS position is struggling for the Pads around super two time. Marcano is interesting as a natural SS and can hit for avg and has speed for SBs with developing power (likely not a huge power ceiling though). Kim is up next though.  We could see a minor parade of SS, maybe even Eugenio shows up there...That all said, can't rule out Abrams coming up at any point after mid-april (again, low chances of this happening). CJ is the second best SS on the team and el Pads are going for it. Just given Abrams youthful inexperience,  money/control and the team having multiple other options to explore first pumps the brakes on Abrams immediately. We shall see how it goes...

Besides Kim, choices to fill in for Tatis at shortstop include Jake Cronenworth, Jorge Mateo and Tucupita Marcano. “I think Kim would be the first option,” Tingler said.

https://theathletic.com/2500843/2021/04/06/what-fernando-tatis-jr-s-partially-dislocated-shoulder-means-for-the-padres/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, BillyMartinTrailer said:

1. AJ Preller doesn't operate like a conventional GM. The Tatis promotion to start the season in 2019 proves that. 

I wonder how the owners feel about AJ Preller giving Tatis a 14 year deal for $340m right now.    Tatis had a known problem with his shoulder that did not give Preller any cause to be concerned about such an enormous contract.

Unless the Padres are winning baseball games,  I'm not sure Preller should feel so comfortable.   Normally I would agree that CJ Abrams would not be under consideration for a promotion this early,  but if Tatis is out for the season,  I can see the door opening just a bit.   I'm wasn't impressed with Kim during spring training.  Maybe he'll snap out if and start hitting.

• 2 weeks later...

padres minor league overview

Article goes over the padres minors as a whole, but notes that Abrams will start at high A or double A. Also of note is the fact that CJ is still at the alternate site instead of minor league camp. The one downside is what we already knew, the Padres Director of Player development noted that while they have been aggressive with promotions in years past, they have "pretty established players around the diamond in San Diego." He did include a caveat of pending health/performance with that statement.

The formula for 2021 playing time/debut is CJ performance in minors plus poor performance or injury in the majors. He does not control his destiny this year. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

with Tatis at SS shouldn't Abrams be playing somewhere else in the minors to get ready? maybe he could take over at 2B before too long this year?

or could the Padres move Tatis to 2B and bring up Abrams for SS?

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

with Tatis at SS shouldn't Abrams be playing somewhere else in the minors to get ready? maybe he could take over at 2B before too long this year?

or could the Padres move Tatis to 2B and bring up Abrams for SS?

I agree with this, if they really see him within the organization reaching the mlb in the next year or two you’d think they would make the switch nowZ One thought process I have is the much more inherent value of keeping him at the cornerstone position for higher trade value. Hope not as I have a bunch of shares of him 

One little nugget that could offer a little room for hope - Tatis has an alarming 11 errors in just 24 starts at SS this year (tops in the majors at any position). Not sure if Tatis could even be a viable option at 2B, but it's interesting nevertheless given that his size is generally considered a detriment to playing the position long term.

Right now the Padre have the corpse of Tommy Pham in left field, and no quality major league ready outfielders in the farm system.

I could see them maybe turning CJ into an outfielder. The idea of an Abrams, Grisham, and Hassell outfield in 2023 is exciting to say the least.

Posted (edited)

Pham hardly looks dead to me though, looks like bad luck more than anything.

His barrel rate is close to an all time high along with other under lying peripherals looking pretty decent.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update, Abrams pulled up lame a couple games ago running to first and has been out since.  I suspect they will just be careful with him and wouldn't be surprised to see him hit the DL shortly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...