NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boyd trying to keep defenses pinned on Green so he continues to eat, well played. 😂

Posted Images

1 minute ago, sSektor said:

Over/under 8 total games for him this season? I would definitely draft him since Cincy is probably going to be playing from behind quite a bit.

arg...hoping he does leave cincy. (coming from a Boyd owner)

My god, this poor bastard. As a keeper owner I don't know how I feel about this. I actually don't mind him in Cincy since he's a target hog when he's healthy and there should be lots of garage time but I'd prefer bad Andy to a rookie QB honestly. But that's not going to happen

1 hour ago, owenmills said:

My god, this poor bastard. As a keeper owner I don't know how I feel about this. I actually don't mind him in Cincy since he's a target hog when he's healthy and there should be lots of garage time but I'd prefer bad Andy to a rookie QB honestly. But that's not going to happen

Not a big Burrow fan?

He's had significant injuries 3 of the last 4 seasons. Groin tear, toe injury, and most recently a torn ligament in his ankle that required surgery. He sat out the entire year, which was probably more of a self preservation move. But you're talking about a 32 year old receiver who will be almost 2 years removed from his last healthy appearance in real game action. If he stays in Cincinnati, he'll have a rookie QB throwing to him while competing for targets with Boyd and Ross, in an offense that was 7th worst in YPG and 3rd worst in PPG.

If he doesn't stay in Cincy, you're still talking about a receiver who has been healthy one in the last 4 years, all injuries being to the lower extremities. You have a 6'4, 200+ LB. Frame coming down on 32 year old injury prone legs, I'll take a pass. Father time strikes hard and fast, don't wanna be left holding the hot potato when the clock runs out. 

I dont know why in a thousand years Cincy would want to lock him up there while they're trying to turn the page to a new era.   Maybe some kind of prayer they can trade him?    Some kind of thing to help their offense look better so Burrow doesn't Eli them?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I dont know why in a thousand years Cincy would want to lock him up there while they're trying to turn the page to a new era.   Maybe some kind of prayer they can trade him?    Some kind of thing to help their offense look better so Burrow doesn't Eli them?

The latter.

On 3/1/2020 at 8:24 PM, BMcP said:

Not a big Burrow fan?

It's not that I'm not a Burrow fan long term. Just that rookie QBs sometimes start slow, which wouldn't be ideal for AJG fantasy outlook. Perhaps he'll come out of the gate playing great

2 hours ago, owenmills said:

It's not that I'm not a Burrow fan long term. Just that rookie QBs sometimes start slow, which wouldn't be ideal for AJG fantasy outlook. Perhaps he'll come out of the gate playing great

Rookie QBs also like to lock onto a big, dominant target.    

With burrow though...I’m not concerned either way.  He’s capable of making multiple reads and throws a great ball.   

6 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Rookie QBs also like to lock onto a big, dominant target.    

Baker Mayfield didnt his rookie year but he is the exception because he always felt DANGEROUS 😂

• Haha 1
On 3/1/2020 at 9:02 PM, BrianM said:

I agree, doesn't make sense for CIN to use that much cap space on Green.  He's a 6' 4'' soon to be 32 year-old WR that's had major ankle and toe injuries over the past few seasons.  IMO, there's a better than 50% that he can't stay healthy and/or his elite physical ability is seriously diminished at this point.  He's had a great career and belongs in the Bengals Ring of Honor but it's time to turn the page and not use up $18M on this guy via the franchise tag.

CIN would be better off making a serious run at Amari Cooper or a guy like Robby Anderson, who has year's left in his prime and can play for multiple seasons with Burrow

20 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I think the OP hit it on the head - Burrow literally flat-out stated to the press that he wanted Green on the roster.

Oh man...Cincy needs to listen to the Rookies demands or else!!!! 😀

7 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Oh man...Cincy needs to listen to the Rookies demands or else!!!! 😀

Eh, I wouldn’t call it a “demand” per se.  But when you’re talking about a rookie coming off arguably the best season in FBS history who has already referred to his “leverage” on more than one occasion...it becomes a fairly strong consideration.

Most teams use the franchise tag to exploit their pro-bowlers that they don't want to give a long term deal to. The Bengals use it on a guy who has 1 catch in the last 16 months. 

Edited by P@ckersFan
1 minute ago, P@ckersFan said:

$18m for a guy who hasn't played in over a year and hasn't delivered an elite season in four years is absurd. 

Yes, but I believe the goal here would be to work out a long-term deal with him at a lower AAV.

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Yes, but I believe the goal here would be to work out a long-term deal with him at a lower AAV.

Before the season starts though? I can see hamstringing your cap on a guy who's guaranteed to give you Pro Bowl production while you stall and try to work out a long term deal, but nobody knows if this guy even has half a season in him anymore. 

Just now, BMcP said:

Long term deal for a 31 year old thats made of styrofoam? Blasphemy!

5 minutes ago, P@ckersFan said:

Before the season starts though? I can see hamstringing your cap on a guy who's guaranteed to give you Pro Bowl production while you stall and try to work out a long term deal, but nobody knows if this guy even has half a season in him anymore. 

Maybe - but the thing is, he’s by no means hamstringing their cap situation.  They will have plenty of space to work with after Dalton and Glenn walk.  If they can’t work out a deal, then the onus falls on Green in a “prove-it” year to ball out and buy his ticket out of town.  If he doesn’t, they should still be able to get something of value for him before the deadline.

7 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Maybe - but the thing is, he’s by no means hamstringing their cap situation.  They will have plenty of space to work with after Dalton and Glenn walk.  If they can’t work out a deal, then the onus falls on Green in a “prove-it” year to ball out and buy his ticket out of town.  If he doesn’t, they should still be able to get something of value for him before the deadline.

Yeah I suppose that's the idea behind the franchise tag in general: you get an opportunity to stall and see if things pan out in the short term in your favor. You just don't often see guys get tagged for a "prove-it," situation where "prove it," means "prove you can walk."

Edited by P@ckersFan
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • tonycpsu changed the title to A.J. Green 2020 Outlook
  • 2 months later...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29482150/bengals-aj-green-signs-franchise-tender-182m

Shocking that a dude that has missed 29 out of 30 games still gets 18 FREAKING MILLION DOLLARS.  Nobody would have paid him this much.

Problem with the Bungles is they don't have much else, unless you count Auden Tate and John Ross.  Tee Higgins and Boyd are the future of this receiving corps.  I guess they supposed better to bring back AJ Green than some washed up veteran.  At least a washed up veteran could get on the field and occupy some space though...

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, CooL said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29482150/bengals-aj-green-signs-franchise-tender-182m

Shocking that a dude that has missed 29 out of 30 games still gets 18 FREAKING MILLION DOLLARS.  Nobody would have paid him this much.

Problem with the Bungles is they don't have much else, unless you count Auden Tate and John Ross.  Tee Higgins and Boyd are the future of this receiving corps.  I guess they supposed better to bring back AJ Green than some washed up veteran.  At least a washed up veteran could get on the field and occupy some space though...

Occupying space is short sighted.  AJG is a master of the position and the perfect mentor for tee Higgins and Auden Tate.   He’s also a lock for 1000 yards barring another major injury-  which is of course the rub....as you identified.  

The time to deal him would have been before the trade deadline in 2019 imo