NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boyd trying to keep defenses pinned on Green so he continues to eat, well played. 😂

Posted Images

It used to be when you were upset at a player you traded him to either Cincy or Cleveland to punish him.  He's already on Cincy and they won't trade him to Cleveland.  Buffalo used to also be an option but I doubt AJ Green would be looking to be a WR5, which is where he'd fit in on that Bills' depth chart right now.

8 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Bengals waited too long, Coulda got a 1st from BoB for em 

now.......prob only a 2nd

but.....Texans should kick the tires at least in all seriousness to help Watson anyway possible

Cincinnati would smash accept a second.

You might get a 6th for him at this point. 

• Like 1

Only a team in contention would even entertain the thought of trading for Green, who is on the final year of his contract and will be a UFA at the end of the year. He’s basically just a “rental” at this point and only a contender would even want someone like that. Problem is, most teams in contention don’t have the cap space to accommodate his 17 million dollar salary this year, even if you prorate it to what it would be worth from now until the end of the season.

Current cap space available for all NFL teams:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

The Packers are the best fit on paper since they are a legit contender and all of their WRs behind Adams are mediocre at best. They would still need to move some money around in order to do it though. Green knows the entire route tree like the back of his hand so him getting up to speed on any new playbook wouldn’t take much. It would simply boil down to, A- Does he have enough time before the playoffs to get enough chemistry with his new QB to even make an impact? Or, B- Does he even have the physical ability to be a good receiver anymore?

As far as trade value is concerned? LOL. The Bengals would take a supplemental 7th rounder for him just to dump the salary at this point. He’s a Bengals legend, but clearly isn’t even an afterthought as far as the future of the team is concerned. They aren’t going to contend this year and he certainly won’t be back next year. They would take anything they could get for him right now.

Edited by Dislimb
  • Like 1

Prediction:

Cincy will pretend that they have several suitors for an AJ Green trade, but then they will give up and release him when that concept is proven false.

Green is actively hurting the team currently with his half-hearted play.

I'm not sure who would want to trade for him at this point. I'm confused as to how he arrived at this situation. Isn't he the one who held out all year long just last year - the time to act like a prima donna trapped on a bad football team was before he signed the Franchise tender. That is when someone who is too special to play for this team could force their hand. Between AJ and his agent there aren't too many lights on in this attic. All of his "unhappiness" comes through his own doing - and now he's whining about it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dislimb said:

As far as trade value is concerned? LOL. The Bengals would take a supplemental 7th rounder for him just to dump the salary at this point. He’s a Bengals legend, but clearly isn’t even an afterthought as far as the future of the team is concerned. They aren’t going to contend this year and he certainly won’t be back next year. They would take anything they could get for him right now.

Why did Cincinnati tender him? It's a rhetorical question obviously but none of it makes a bit of sense if what you say above (which sounds about right to me) is true.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Why did Cincinnati tender him? It's a rhetorical question obviously but none of it makes a bit of sense if what you say above (which sounds about right to me) is true.

As a potential security blanket for Burrow, perhaps? Or maybe because of his track record there? He was closing in on all of Chad Johnson’s franchise records and has been beloved in Cincy for the past decade. No idea, really. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Perhaps because he has been their lone bankable star for some time.

Well run franchises lock guys up before they really blossom as stars.  Poorly run teams reward the stars of yesterday for the previous performances.

Guess which one Cincinnati is?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well run franchises lock guys up before they really blossom as stars.  Poorly run teams reward the stars of yesterday for the previous performances.

so they didnt lock him up in 2011? I'm confused

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

Yeah I mean it is very much a thing the Bengals would do. How is it the GM makes this decision only to have the coach do everything but justify it by barely using a tagged player. I don't know what their FO structure is but this was a mutli-million $ m-i-s-t-a-k-e. Why doesn't Brown fire Taylor for wasting his money?

Sometimes the contract you don't complete is the best move.  Locking him up in 2011 was the correct move.  2020 not so much.

Also, I am sure they anticipated getting much better production from Green than they have thus far.

30 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Also, I am sure they anticipated getting much better production from Green than they have thus far.

Brown anticipated better. Taylor does not agree.

Obviously jmo, but there is a major disconnect between these two on the Green issue. Unless Brown simply paid him $18M as a publicity/feelgood stunt.

3 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

At the time he had been pretty good every year he played. He just hadn't played in over a year. That made signing him difficult. What do you pay a WR over 30 coming off injury? So they tagged him as an easy out. It likely would have been more expensive to try and sign him on the open market (assuming Green would even consider resigning in Cincinnati) as he would have gotten multiple years. And Cincy had to look out for Burrow too. When Green was tagged, Travis Boyd was the only other reliable WR on the roster. It made a fair amount of sense at the time, it just didn't work out.

• Like 1

Cincy should do right by him and trade him.  He’s done so much for us.  They gotta let him go.

As an owner, I’m salivating at him going to Green Bay or New England.

It would take them moving some money around for sure.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, nn4mz said:

Cincy should do right by him and trade him.  He’s done so much for us.  They gotta let him go.

As an owner, I’m salivating at him going to Green Bay or New England.

It would take them moving some money around for sure.

Apparently you have not been watching the Bengals games this year.  Green is a spent force.

6 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Because it's a poorly-run franchise.