NBC Sports Edge Forums

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Apparently you have not been watching the Bengals games this year.  Green is a spent force.

Yeah he looks bad man. It's really unfortunate when this happens to formerly great players. The strange thing to me is that he didn't look all that bad week 1. He looked kind of like AJ Green. Then they came out on the 1st play of week 2 and took that shot against the Browns and he looked like he got injured diving for it. He's looked like Gronk's twin brother ever since. Crash test dummy parts falling off and everything.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boyd trying to keep defenses pinned on Green so he continues to eat, well played. 😂

Posted Images

1 hour ago, nn4mz said:

I’ve seen every game.

Ah, now we are narrowing down on the problem.  If you have watched, you have not understood what you were seeing.

• Haha 7

It’s certainly difficult for Green owners to be optimistic.

Without going too off topic, to offer an alternative view, I’m not sure if fans/spectators take time to consider or understand the emotional impact of having to play for an organization or be somewhere that they don’t want to be.

Which is kind of funny, as it’s well documented how one’s mental health can be affected by working somewhere or living somewhere where one no longer wants to be.

It’s no different for pro athletes who work for people whom they don’t want to work for (owners and coaches), or veterans that see that the team is clearly bringing in a “new generation” of guys and seemingly moving on from their era.  For a lot of guys, it affects their mental health, which affects their motivation and play.

I can’t say for certain that this is going on for AJ, and it’s commonplace for athletes and common people to immediately experience improvement after a “change of scenery.”

Just a perspective from a therapist who  works with athletes and in the area of peak performance.

Edited by nn4mz
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, nn4mz said:

It’s certainly difficult for Green owners to be optimistic.

Without going too off topic, to offer an alternative view, I’m not sure if fans/spectators take time to consider or understand the emotional impact of having to play for an organization or be somewhere that they don’t want to be.

Which is kind of funny, as it’s well documented how one’s mental health can be affected by working somewhere or living somewhere where one no longer wants to be.

It’s no different for pro athletes who work for people whom they don’t want to work for (owners and coaches), or veterans that see that the team is clearly bringing in a “new generation” of guys and seemingly moving on from their era.  For a lot of guys, it affects their mental health, which affects their motivation and play.

I can’t say for certain that this is going on for AJ, and it’s commonplace for athletes and common people to immediately experience improvement after a “change of scenery.”

Just a perspective from a therapist who  works with athletes and in the area of peak performance.

Spot on..... funny how all these people dropping him this week, by taking advice from these idiot so called experts. Will be stumbling over each other to pick him up, when he is traded to a good team. In fairness to AJ, the poor guy has been put through a lot being on a crappy team. He deserves to be able to move on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Monster Week said:

Spot on..... funny how all these people dropping him this week, by taking advice from these idiot so called experts. Will be stumbling over each other to pick him up, when he is traded to a good team. In fairness to AJ, the poor guy has been put through a lot being on a crappy team. He deserves to be able to move on. 

It's fantasy football...someone will be right and someone will be wrong, however the people who were down on AJ green have been right so far and the only people who remain optimistic are doing so because of bias of liking him as a player and/or having drafted him on their teams and wanting him to succeed. At least the people who predicted this have games of data to go off of as opposed to hope.

There are cases on both sides when a player got traded and went off or go traded and went nowhere so a trade isn't automatic success either

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Monster Week said:

5 minutes ago, Guwop said:

It's fantasy football...someone will be right and someone will be wrong, however the people who were down on AJ green have been right so far and the only people who remain optimistic are doing so because of bias of liking him as a player and/or having drafted him on their teams and wanting him to succeed. At least the people who predicted this have games of data to go off of as opposed to hope.

There are cases on both sides when a player got traded and went off or go traded and went nowhere so a trade isn't automatic success either

At this point I view Green as if he's a WR "handcuff"/lottery ticket - we're hoping that a situation changes and he gets traded somewhere, but he can't be relied on for depth.  I may end up cutting him for one of the hot WW pickups this week, haven't decided yet.

4 minutes ago, ZappB said:

At this point I view Green as if he's a WR "handcuff"/lottery ticket - we're hoping that a situation changes and he gets traded somewhere, but he can't be relied on for depth.  I may end up cutting him for one of the hot WW pickups this week, haven't decided yet.

Why wouldn't the Bengals use him AFTER they paid him $18.2M? Still waiting for this to be answered. Is 18.2 not a big number anymore.

2 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Why wouldn't the Bengals use him AFTER they paid him $18.2M? Still waiting for this to be answered. Is 18.2 not a big number anymore.

No clue.  I've only seen some highlights so I can't speak much about his play.  Maybe it's just a combination of injury, lack of conditioning, and loss of motivation with Boyd and Higgins taking over.  It's not like Green didn't have chances, he was force fed targets the first two weeks.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

They tried to use him.  And it was doing more harm than good to have him out there.

I suspect there will be a LONG recovery from this phantom injury he suffered against Baltimore.

• Like 2
On 10/13/2020 at 10:27 PM, SuperJoint said:

The Bengals are a badly run team/organization. FO didn't want to deal with an angry fanbase after that amazing season they just completed.

Turns out missing a year of football plus constantly being hurt plus getting old, has a negative affect on production. 

In his defense, what WAS he supposed to do with that throw? That ball was basically a full "AJ Green" over his head. The defender is almost 3 yards behind him and HE had to jump way up to get that ball. I'm not sure even in his prime AJG had any sort of shot at that. That might have been a combination of "no way am i going to get that" and "if i DO try to get that ball not only will I not get it but I'm going to get pasted right square in the ribs by this here safety and this here cornerback". He's not giving his all but let's not all pretend he had any sort of shot at getting that pass. After the interception--well...he's a wide receiver. He wouldn't be the first wide receiver in the world to not want to make a tackle after an interception and he won't be the last.

That all being said--he's pretty much done. This pass, however, is kind of a bad example of that. 

• Like 1

Anyone have info on his current yards of separation vs. His career numbers? He looks like he has lost a little bit but not a ton. He does not look washed to me. He has had some tough corners on him. It looks like they aren't running plays for him like before Taylor was there. I think him and Burrow are out of sync. I saw most of the targets this year, and burrow has missed him for wide open touchdowns. With those two plus that one where he got called for OPI, he could have 3 touchdowns. He is not startable now, but of you can stash him, I think it is worth it. 

2 hours ago, mrfrood said:

Anyone have info on his current yards of separation vs. His career numbers? He looks like he has lost a little bit but not a ton. He does not look washed to me. He has had some tough corners on him. It looks like they aren't running plays for him like before Taylor was there. I think him and Burrow are out of sync. I saw most of the targets this year, and burrow has missed him for wide open touchdowns. With those two plus that one where he got called for OPI, he could have 3 touchdowns. He is not startable now, but of you can stash him, I think it is worth it. 

Great question. Looking at the numbers, no they are not different. I can only go back to 2018 on player profiler but here's what we got:

2020 - 1.37 average yards of separation (82nd in the league)

2018 - 1.17 average yards of separation (yet produced WR1 numbers through 9 games)

I don't have older data, but Green's game has never been about separation. He's always been a big bodied dude who can make tough catches in traffic down the field. I still have no idea what's going on with him this season other than he's not healthy and hates being a member of the Bengals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

I still have no idea what's going on with him this season other than he's not healthy and hates being a member of the Bengals. 

He’s 32 and all the injuries are finally taking their toll, he only played 9 games in 2018, 0 in 2019 and hasn’t looked healthy in 2020. Just a case of time catching up with a guy. He was dominant in his prime but those days are obviously way behind him.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, yossarian said:

In his defense, what WAS he supposed to do with that throw? That ball was basically a full "AJ Green" over his head. The defender is almost 3 yards behind him and HE had to jump way up to get that ball. I'm not sure even in his prime AJG had any sort of shot at that. That might have been a combination of "no way am i going to get that" and "if i DO try to get that ball not only will I not get it but I'm going to get pasted right square in the ribs by this here safety and this here cornerback". He's not giving his all but let's not all pretend he had any sort of shot at getting that pass. After the interception--well...he's a wide receiver. He wouldn't be the first wide receiver in the world to not want to make a tackle after an interception and he won't be the last.

That all being said--he's pretty much done. This pass, however, is kind of a bad example of that. 

It wasn’t the pass, it’s what he did after the interception. I don’t think I’ve seen anybody claim that was a catchable ball. He could have tackled the dude though instead of running away like a princess.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mrfrood said:

It seems like the injuries he has had have all been non career threatening. The only serious one was the ankle last year. 

Correct. The worst injury of his career was a high ankle sprain -- same injury Michael Thomas and Cmac are dealing with. As a fantasy gamer I hate relying on platitudes and intangibles. I wish everything could be measured and analyzed on the field. Cause nothing is wrong with Green's game fundamentally. Earlier in the year Burrows force fed him the ball and the stats say he's getting the same separation as ever.

Some things just can't be measured. Maybe the nagging injuries have caught up to him mentally. That and being stuck on a franchise that for 10 years did nothing for him. His head isn't in it and that's evidenced by stuff like game-losing OPI's, giving up on plays and performing terribly. It's a sad situation that the Bengals' franchise finally has hope and Green is dealing with something internally. 

• Thanks 1