NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boyd trying to keep defenses pinned on Green so he continues to eat, well played. 😂

Posted Images

13 hours ago, zen25 said:

Dang, this was a game where he was supposed to go off and we could have sold him for a strong WR2 with better floor.

Not sure where you got it that this was a game he was supposed to go off, he was covered most of the day by Darius Slay who is top 5 in yards allowed per target and fantasy points allowed per target. 

I’m not an AJ Green truther, but when you go up against one of the best in the game, you should probably temper expectations. 

13 hours ago, yanksman said:

this guys toast

Gets no separation 

Not a lot of WR's get separation against Darius Slay.

This week will be telling.  I think there is your normal over reaction here to yesterday.  I'm reading things like "it looks like Cincy will be feeding their younger receivers and AJ will take a back seat".  IMO, they fed the younger receivers because AJ had Darius draped on him and Burrow was going to the receivers who were more open.  That's all.

Jax does not have a shutdown corner, so this week will tell us a lot.  Henderson has talent, but is a rookie and he's their best guy.  AJ is no longer a "start him no matter who is covering him" guy but if the secondary is weak, he could still be a solid option.  If he can't produce against Jax, time to panic.

FWIW, the fantasypros podcast recommends holding AJ because he apparently looked much better than he did in week 2, despite the lack of targets.  They were watching his route running, etc.  So we will see.

Edited by kp96
  • Like 5

AJ has been covered by some elite or borderline elite corners every week so far. Another thing to keep in mind is that defensive coordinators are still putting these corners on AJ and not Boyd or one of the younger guys. That could change in the future or maybe defensive coordinators are seeing something in film that has them still worried about AJ. Hayward, Ward and Slay are some of the better corners. Maybe he can't beat the best of the best anymore, but that does not mean he is useless moving forward. Maybe just hopeful thinking on my end, but better days are ahead or they will just completely move on from him. Either way, it gives us clarity.

• Thanks 1

Burrows looks like he will be throwing for 300+ yards regularly, even if it is because of garbage time.  The numbers are there for the taking.  The Bengals have WR's that can take some of the attention away in the future.  It's too early to dump him.  Bench him?  Probably.  Maybe you miss out on a big game but we have to see something here before we can start him.

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

ive seen him dropped in on twelve teamer which i think is a bit of an overreaction.  I think he'll be a strong WR3 but not the WR2 everyone hoped they were getting.  He's facing tough corners and shaking off rust.

He will likely be a WR2. AJ hadn’t played in quite some time and he’s knocking off some rust. Averaging 9 targets through 3 games. Take the fact that he had not played in real games for about a year and a half, plus the fact that he’s got to develop a rapport with a new QB. Same struggles you see with a lot of QBs this year in their first year with new team, including Brady. Without having full camp and preseason they are having to get familiar on the actual job.

If you’re hurting, I guess you can justify a drop.

There clearly is something going on, but Green is still a potential WR2 and while it seems less likely, he could be a WR1.

I can’t drop someone like that, and if you’re a Green owner this year, this comes with the price.  Hold for me.

I try not to judge a player until the 4 week mark, when there's a quarter of season of data and game tape as a strong foundation to make a case for/against a player. AJG has a lot of for/against arguments, right now. Let's hope he adds a bit to the 'for' in week 4. I do think the best is yet to come. He doesn't look the same, but he doesn't look washed, either.

• Like 1

By game three, perhaps, if Green is done then opposing coaches & players would be seeing that on his tape & shifting coverage away from him. But back the other way, it was said in the Boyd thread that when they were down near the goal it was Higgins getting all the gravy routes. For owners, if you can carry him, do it. But if he’s at the very end of your bench, regardless of investment, and help elsewhere is needed, show him the door! 

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

I think his arrow is pointing way up with Burrow playing so well - John Ross was a healthy scratch last week, and AJ Green may be on his last legs.

Has there been any buzz locally about Edmonds getting more work? Drake fell really flat in what was supposed to be a smash play last week, and I've heard people say that he just hasn't looked the same this year.

AJ Green just faced a murderer’s row of CBs after not playing for a year. He’ll start improving this week a softer matchup. I like Higgins longterm, but I wouldn’t say his arrow is immediately pointing way up. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

AJ Green just faced a murderer’s row of CBs after not playing for a year. He’ll start improving this week a softer matchup. I like Higgins longterm, but I wouldn’t say his arrow is immediately pointing way up. 

I think the AJ Green comment is fair - I looked at the schedule, and he probably dealt with Heyward/Harris, Ward and Slay it looks like.

I do think Higgins' arrow is point immediately way up by virtue of now being considered as potentially fantasy-relevant, producing last week and by seemingly moving ahead of John Ross in the pecking order though.

Just semantics, lol. I’d say up because he’s moved past Ross, and the Bengals have thrown 141 times in three games. I just wouldn’t say way up because I still believe Green and Boyd will be ahead of him, especially when not having to face that trio of CBs. He did have Heyward week one, and Harris is their slot corner and was on Boyd. 

If Green is going to prove himself right, that it’s just rust, then he needs to start showing it this week with a softer matchup. If he still struggles, then I’d tend to agree more with Higgins’ arrow pointing way up :)

A.J. Green has lost a step. He's 32, rusty and has played like 💩  if you think he's done I can't blame you. He's not done, though. Opposing defenses have treated him with massive respect, getting stuck with marquee corners like Denzel Ward, Darius Slay and Casey Heyward. Either defenses will start shifting coverage to Boyd giving Green more open looks, or the schedule will soften and Green will start producing at a solid clip. He's not the WR2 I was hoping for. Maybe he really is toast -- wouldn't be shocked, but I see an extremely talented receiver who has enough juice left to produce in this pass-happy offense. 

• Like 1