NBC Sports Edge Forums

We Need 1 Manager: $300 H2H CBS League

Hi, my name is Josh.

The league:

We've been competing on CBS since 1998.  We do both football and baseball, every year.  Most of the guys are from Southern California, I know most of them personally; however, there are a few guys I have never met.  We started out as a free league, but after a couple seasons of intense play, we went to a pay league.  I figured we'd lose a few of the managers I had never met, but, remarkably, they stayed in and we continue to compete, cash and all.  There has never been a problem of someone not paying or not receiving their cash.  We are all (now middle-aged) professionals.  Nobody is trying to cheat or steal from one another.  We use PayPal.

The money works like this.

$300 ante from each team, 12 teams = $3600

CBS league fees = $130 (it's gone up to $150, but I cover the extra $20); $3470 remaining in the pot.

Each week, the team with the highest points for the week, known as the WKS, wins $50.  The short week, during the All-Star game is worth $70.

22 regular weeks @ $50 per week = $1100;  1 short week @ $70 + $1100 = $1170;   $3470 - $1170 = $2300 remaining in the pot.

The four playoff teams, each win $300.  $300 X 4 = $1200;  $2300 - $1200 = $1100 remaining in the pot.

The champion wins $1,000 and the runner-up gets $100;  $1100 - $1100 = $0 left in the pot.

As you can see, all of the money collected goes back to the league.  It's a great system and since there is money to be won each week, it keeps everyone active.  The guys that play in the league expect me to fill it with competitive managers that won't quit the league.  Have you ever quit a league midway through?  We can't have that in our league.  No matter how bad a team gets, everyone makes a commitment to have a competitive team each and every week.  If you don't feel you can make that commitment, please don't join the league.

We use a fairly standard CBS scoring system:

SCORING SYSTEM

BATTING NAME SETTINGS
1B Singles 1 point
2B Doubles 2 points
3B Triples 3 points
BB Walks (Batters) 1 point
HP Hit by Pitch 1 point
HR Home Runs 4 points
R Runs 1 point
RBI Runs Batted In 1 point
SB Stolen Bases 1 point
PITCHING NAME SETTINGS
BBI Walks Issued (Pitchers) -1 point
ER Earned Runs -1 point
HA Hits Allowed -1 point
HB Hit Batsmen -1 point
INN Innings 3 points
K Strikeouts (Pitcher) .5 points
L Losses -5 points
QS Quality Starts 3 points
S Saves 8.5 points
W Wins 7 points

I know this seems like a lot of details, but I am trying to be as upfront with you as possible.  $300 is a lot of money to send to a stranger over the internet, so I want you to feel you have all of the information and you don't think this is a scam or anything like that.

We are the real deal, we want a fun and competitive league, the cash is there as an award to a long season.  If you have questions or concerns, please let me know.  This year's league isn't up yet, but it will be soon.  Let me know if you are still interested.

Hi, thank you for your interest.  The draft date isn't determined yet, want the league to be full before making those decisions, but, we normally draft on a Sunday at 8:30AM PST.  This can be adjusted to insure everyone is present. Probably will go March 22nd.