NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Which five keepers?

mlbnfl

Standard 5 cat league (obp,slg,sb,hr,r   qs,L,era,whip,k/9) ten team auction league ($260 budget). C, 1b, 2b, 3b, ss, of, of, of, util, util. If you keep a player, for the first two years the price increase is 5, the third year kept and beyond it goes up 10 every year. I can pick five keepers from the following list and would love to hear opinions.

Player/Price/Years kept (2 means this upcoming season would be the second year Ive kept the player)

Christian Yelich / $34 / 2 

Cody Bellinger / $30 / 3

Patrick Corbin / $12 / 2

Eduardo Escobar / $6 / 1

Keston Hiura / $15 / 1

Shane Bieber / $13 / 1

Luis Castillo / $6 / 1

Will Smith / $15 / 1

Willson Contreras / $10 / 1  

Appreciate the replies so far all, just making my decision more difficult haha. Before getting any replies I had narrowed it down to the six mentioned but can't figure it out beyond that. I think Id lean keeping Hiura as he (playing to his potential) is a bigger difference maker than an additional starter, but then which starter do I get rid of. Then on the other hand starting with Bieber, Corbin and Castillo for about a $10 each average might allow me to focus on bats more. Just a tough decision but I appreciate the responses all.

6 hours ago, mlbnfl said:

Standard 5 cat league (obp,slg,sb,hr,r   qs,L,era,whip,k/9) ten team auction league ($260 budget). C, 1b, 2b, 3b, ss, of, of, of, util, util. If you keep a player, for the first two years the price increase is 5, the third year kept and beyond it goes up 10 every year. I can pick five keepers from the following list and would love to hear opinions.

Player/Price/Years kept (2 means this upcoming season would be the second year Ive kept the player)

Christian Yelich / $34 / 2 

Cody Bellinger / $30 / 3

Patrick Corbin / $12 / 2

Eduardo Escobar / $6 / 1

Keston Hiura / $15 / 1

Shane Bieber / $13 / 1

Luis Castillo / $6 / 1

Will Smith / $15 / 1

Willson Contreras / $10 / 1  

Yelich, Bieber, Castillo, Hiura are locks. Bellinger too but I highly recommend that you trade him as he’s going to lose a lot of value this year. His value is based on his first half when he had a .400 BABIP. He batted .260 in the second half as it normalized and was more like the guy we saw in 2018. The last keeper is your best remaining player which is Corbin. 

42 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Yelich, Bieber, Castillo, Hiura are locks. Bellinger too but I highly recommend that you trade him as he’s going to lose a lot of value this year. His value is based on his first half when he had a .400 BABIP. He batted .260 in the second half as it normalized and was more like the guy we saw in 2018. The last keeper is your best remaining player which is Corbin. 

This is a bad take. We all know the splits. But he’ll just be 25 this season, his K rate dropped dramatically and his BB rate increased. Oh, and he hit 39 HR in 132 as a rookie. Oh, and he chips in 10+ SBs from 1B. Dude is a budding star at a weak position.