NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Dominic Smith 2020 Outlook

Sidearmer

With Michael Conforto dealing with a potential injury, this opens up the OF for Dom Smith to fill in. He's a terrible fielder, but on the offensive side he produced when he had the chance: .282 AVG, .355 OBP, 11 HR, 35 R, 25 RBI in 197 plate appearances. Could be a name to watch if Conforto and Cespedes are both out for a while. In one league I have Conforto I am adding Smith as a precaution. If Alonso ever got hurt Smith would be a must add in standard leagues.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Any thoughts on this guy with the universal DH in place?

I would think Cespedes will get the bulk of any DH at bats. 

Dominic Smith probably gets some of the DH work and some platoon work in LF with JD Davis.

I think Dom needs an injury or 2 to find a major role. conforto is a lock for the OF, marisnick Nimmo JD Davis will fight for other 2 spots. Cespedes will prolly get the DH slot since he can't run like the other OF options. Dom had at bats last year with Cespedes and Nimmo out. with the DH he prolly just needs one to flop or get hurt. 

3 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Even if Cespedes opens the season getting the majority of the at-bats, I'll play the long game on Smith. Cespedes remains an injury waiting to happen.

Hard to play the long game in a short season.  Cespedes probably stays healthier staying off the field.  The DH is perfect for him at this stage.

2 hours ago, Mongeese said:

The real question here is how much he plays first.  He is the superior glove there, allowing Alonso to DH.

Alonso's glove was pretty good last year and much better than advertised.  He worked hard to improve his defense before the season began.

Dom Smith needs somebody to get injured to get regular AB's.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I lost Cespedes myself, don’t know much about Dominic Smith. I like that he does have multi eligibility. Really considering adding him. Anyone else in a similar situation?

I read he has some pop and I like that he took a couple walks tonight. The plate discipline is intriguing. Does anyone feel like he will bat higher than 7th?

22 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

I lost Cespedes myself, don’t know much about Dominic Smith. I like that he does have multi eligibility. Really considering adding him. Anyone else in a similar situation?

I read he has some pop and I like that he took a couple walks tonight. The plate discipline is intriguing. Does anyone feel like he will bat higher than 7th?

healthy roster, no. 1-2 injuries and he profiles as a 5 hitter

Not sold on him. Outside of 200 ABs last year, he's been garbage in his ML career. Struck out again today as PH. (Cespedes can do that)  He can DH this year but what about next year? (Assuming no more DH in the NL)  Might be a borderline guy in deep leagues.

He's the primary DH vs. righties now you gotta think, but if he doesn't start hitting soon I doubt the Mess will feel bound by loyalty to him. Guys who can hit a bit but cannot play D aren't exactly rare.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, NoHablaIngles said:

He’s always had the talent. Now he has an opportunity. Obviously his current pace is not sustainable, but I’m just gonna enjoy the ride

Agree, he can't sustain this pace, but in 2019 in 197 plate appearances he OPSed .881 with balanced splits of .882 vs RH and .876 vs LH. I think he is legit and only needed an opportunity.

• Like 1