NBC Sports EDGE Forums

How is your league handling the news that NBA is suspending its season?

1 minute ago, young_styler said:

I meant to add that this is if the NBA shortens the regular season (which I think they would) Yahoo should reduce the max number of games.

Oh yea, that sentence drastically changes your post lol. It also drastically changes the whole fantasy season. What bs that would be.

Just now, inspiritu said:

I have seen the suggestion that commissioners freeze transactions for now (so people don't benefit from picking up Brogdon, Oubre, etc)

Not sure about it. Any thoughts?

Also:

If you do this, what about when the games are starting back up and you (as commissioner) turn the transactions back on? Do you make it follow waiver order, or just let it be a free-for-all? 

I’ve halted transactions in mine. I dropped Simmons today and our wire has Brogdon, Oubre so someone could get sneaky during the suspended play 

1 minute ago, jay_00 said:

Oh yea, that sentence drastically changes your post lol. It also drastically changes the whole fantasy season. What bs that would be.

Lol yeah i should have mentioned that the first time. But yeah I hope they pick back up and play an 82 game season but it just seems highly unlikely at this point. We shall see.

53 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Josh Lloyd, the fantasy guru, advocated today that it's not fair to refund everyone's money, since there are teams which were out of the playoffs already, with no chance to win. His idea is that all playoff teams split the pots. Even that is a bit too egalitarian for my taste, since I was planning to win the whole thing.

First 2 teams who have bye weeks should receive more money than teams 3 to 6 cause they are guaranteed to at the minimum play for 3rd place and usually 3rd place teams get money depending on the league.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

I’ve halted transactions in mine. I dropped Simmons today and our wire has Brogdon, Oubre so someone could get sneaky during the suspended play 

Are u on yahoo? How exactly do you lock/freeze league transaction? Asking as a Commish looking to possibly do this 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IDatDude said:

Are u on yahoo? How exactly do you lock/freeze league transaction? Asking as a Commish looking to possibly do this 

Yes sir I am. You need to be on a desktop. Log in and on top click “commissioner”. On the right you’ll see manage other teams. Click on it and the very top option says “lock teams” you can click on everyone and stop add/drop players

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Yes sir I am. You need to be on a desktop. Log in and on top click “commissioner”. On the right you’ll see manage other teams. Click on it and the very top option says “lock teams” you can click on everyone and stop add/drop players

Thanks bro! 

I was on my phone looking all over for this option, makes sense it would be desktop. 

• Like 1

I locked all teams from adding/dropping or making any roster changes until further notice. I'm the league Commissioner on my friends money league (14 team and 12 team leagues) and saw everyone from Twitter and other groups suggesting to lock all teams from changes 

My question is does it affect waiver wire claims (on yahoo btw)? Simmons capela towns and other injured stars are on waiver right now 

Edited by Deixis

A league I'm in is currently in Round 1, all teams are frozen during playoffs anyway.

What I'm more concerned of is how we'd determine the standings, there is a Swiss-system tournament for the top picks next year (6 non-playoff teams fight for top 6 rankings).

Wait and see what actully happens.  

in my league I am 1.5 games behind playoff pic and playoffs star t next week so it would depends on this week... 

it best if everyone gets money back since season didn’t finish. If this was playoffs it’s different story.   Since playoffs didn’t start returning money would be best 

Fairest imo would be to divide the money according to the standings as of right now according to the record.

However as a Comissioner in my league and currently leading the league I think it would just cause many problems if I profit the most out of this scenario, we will wait until a real cancellation of the season happens and if so, I will devide the money between playoff teams and those who are still in contention. In Playoffs everything can happen due to injury, so if you're the #1 seed that doesn't mean that you're automatically winning the whole thing. It's tricky, but there is probably nothing else you can do about it what doesn't piss off all other players.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, inspiritu said:

I have seen the suggestion that commissioners freeze transactions for now (so people don't benefit from picking up Brogdon, Oubre, etc)

Not sure about it. Any thoughts?

Also:

If you do this, what about when the games are starting back up and you (as commissioner) turn the transactions back on? Do you make it follow waiver order, or just let it be a free-for-all? 

I think this is going to be the biggest issue, integrity wise. Any league that is in the midst of playoffs (heck mines 10 days into a 14 day battle) how can it possible to just resume/take off where it finished. Schedules will be all over the shop, acquisitions have been used etc 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, young_styler said:

I would agree with this if the number of games played for all the teams were equal but since they're not, I don't think it's that simple.

True. Each league should assessed on its own with commonsense and compromise needing to be displayed. 

5 minutes ago, Pirate said:

True. Each league should assessed on its own with commonsense and compromise needing to be displayed. 

I agree. I'd say for the most part, considering games played and how close the standings were, the top 3 teams would split the total pot. Teams with ridiculous amounts of games played (like 50-100 gp more than the average team) shouldn't be rewarded as the top team. 

Edited by young_styler
  • Like 1

I've locked two of my leagues as the commish; no players can make any roster changes, including any transactions.  I'll unlock the league at a predetermined time once the NBA gives its verdict on the season.

Will probably hold it to a vote, but if tomorrow, the NBA votes to continue the season, I'll probably either mandate that all owners be prevented from adding dropped injured stars who might feasibly return this season given time (e.g. Klay, Oubre, Isaac, Bagley, etc; based on an agreed upon list), or do a randomizer and allow the winners to add their choice of those players.  I don't think it's fair if I give a specific time of unlocking rosters/transactions and let owners freely grab players.

If the NBA votes to cancel the league, because I'm in money leagues as commish, I'll just reimburse owners' fees.  If players who are winning whine about it ... well, honestly, I'm in first in quite a few of my leagues, with some pretty stacked rosters, so I'd use that as my leverage.  And honestly, I don't feel like ANY commish needs to answer to those comments.  People are sick, terrified, overworked/losing jobs and money, and dying.  Fantasy (and yes, even highball money leagues) is really not so important when looking at the bigger picture.