NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

8 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

We weren’t discussing TV revenue. He specifically said they would make a ton more money from ad revenue. Which they won’t do. 

Wouldn’t even be remotely controversial to open the US border to 20 different countries specifically so baseball players could play a game? Anyone that’s not a baseball fan is gonna find that drastically controversial. They’d tell everyone to go to hell based on the national stances currently happening. They just agreed to close the border to Canada for another month. 

No. Nobody in their right mind would find that objectionable. That's because it harms nobody and benefits many, as I just spelled out. (broadcasters, fantasy, video games, secondary media, fans, advertisers, people who buy ads [lawyers, agents, secretaries for all of the above...{people who sell everyone listed so far cars, food, clothes}])

Last time I went to the movies was over a year ago. If the only thing preventing a Hollywood movie being made was bringing in a handful of actors across a border, and it could be done safely, of course I'd be for it. Why wouldn't I be? Spite? Hatred of movie goers? That's nuts.  Make the movie. Make money. Make fans happy. 

WHY do you think anyone would oppose this? What would be their reasoning? 

Why do you think you are the only person expressing concern about this?

If this parlay of long shot negative assumptions all came true and a few players couldn't make it, why wouldn't they just play without them?

If you really think that the only economic stimulation an MLB season would provide is the players buying food in Arizona, I don't know what to say.  That's as far from reality as believing this is all a hoax. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've seen a few posts in the Coronavirus thread talking about this topic but they usually get covered up quickly by arguments so I thought it might be helpful to discuss this in a separate thread. If

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Bring badly needed economic stimulation specifically to the little region of Arizona they would play in*. These guys are going to be sequestered. Only way they are stimulating the economy is by their families spending their money while in lockdown or them buying a pizza through doordash. That’s the point. Their economic impact overall will be minuscule. 

He said AD REVENUE. Not the full TV deal. Two very separate things. My citation shows the full MLB ad revenue from 2018 being 230.5m. He was saying the ad revenue would be so much higher since ratings should be higher. Ad revenue specifically isn’t going to DK much for a team. 

Ad revenue is still another revenue stream. And if teams, especially the ones who own their own TV networks. If ratings are double they can double their spot rates. That’s not nothing. Plus it’s a captive audience to watch games every day, many of which people wouldn’t get to watch because they’d normally be at work. It’s exposure to a group of parents getting to introduce this to their kids instead of mindlessly playing Fortnite. It’s the opportunity of a lifetime to be on the grand stage pretty much all by themselves. But you don’t care because it doesn’t go along with your negative narrative and cognitive dissonance thing going on. So I’ll just say it for everyone else with an open mind. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, daynlokki said:

Bring badly needed economic stimulation specifically to the little region of Arizona they would play in*. These guys are going to be sequestered. Only way they are stimulating the economy is by their families spending their money while in lockdown or them buying a pizza through doordash. That’s the point. Their economic impact overall will be minuscule. 

He said AD REVENUE. Not the full TV deal. Two very separate things. My citation shows the full MLB ad revenue from 2018 being 230.5m. He was saying the ad revenue would be so much higher since ratings should be higher. Ad revenue specifically isn’t going to DK much for a team. 

Even if you’re only talking about Ad revenue, your article does NOT show the full MLB ad revenue for 2018. 

Your article is only citing national ad revenue numbers, not including local television ad numbers. The article also ends September 26th, meaning it didn’t include the 35 nationally televised playoff games. 

Edited by hailtoyourvictor
16 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

No. Nobody in their right mind would find that objectionable. That's because it harms nobody and benefits many, as I just spelled out. (broadcasters, fantasy, video games, secondary media, fans, advertisers, people who buy ads [lawyers, agents, secretaries for all of the above...{people who sell everyone listed so far cars, food, clothes}])

Last time I went to the movies was over a year ago. If the only thing preventing a Hollywood movie being made was bringing in a handful of actors across a border, and it could be done safely, of course I'd be for it. Why wouldn't I be? Spite? Hatred of movie goers? That's nuts.  Make the movie. Make money. Make fans happy. 

WHY do you think anyone would oppose this? What would be their reasoning? 

Why do you think you are the only person expressing concern about this?

If this parlay of long shot negative assumptions all came true and a few players couldn't make it, why wouldn't they just play without them?

If you really think that the only economic stimulation an MLB season would provide is the players buying food in Arizona, I don't know what to say.  That's as far from reality as believing this is all a hoax. 

Their reasoning? They’d probably be pissed that in the middle of a global pandemic the MLB is shuttling in players from 20 outside countries despite our borders being closed for public health reasons. Seems like an extremely easy way to start a spike in Arizona. They testing all these players before they allow them in country? Or just allowing them to come and hoping they aren’t infected? If it could be done safely is the key. Can it? Arizona has tested about 7k people a week so far. They would need more tests just for players and personnel. Are thy able to get those tests without putting the people of Arizona at a higher risk? What are the guidelines is someone gets sick? Teams are sharing hotels, if one person gets sick is the entire hotel going to be quarantined? How is testing going to work when it comes to the public that have direct interactions with the players (hotel workers, etc)? How protected are the managers who are most at risk if you do this?

3 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Even if you’re only talking about Ad revenue and not TV revenue (why would you care about the difference?), the article you linked does not show the full MLB ad revenue for the 2018 season. 

Your article is only citing national ad revenue numbers, not including local television ad numbers. The article also ends September 26th, meaning it didn’t include the 35 nationally televised playoff games. 

Care about the difference because all these posts were literally and specifically about as revenue. 

2 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Care about the difference because all these posts were literally and specifically about as revenue. 

If you say so, even though total TV revenue matters.

Regardless, you’re wrong about your link showing all 2018 MLB ad revenue. It doesn’t include local ad revenue or 35 playoff games. 

Edited by hailtoyourvictor
2 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Arizona has tested about 7k people a week so far. They would need more tests just for players and personnel. Are thy able to get those tests without putting the people of Arizona at a higher risk?

Not sure if you've seen this -

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3035524001

The new free self-swab testing will take place at up to 1,000 CVS locations by the end of May, which equals more than 1 in 10 of the company's stores.

Patients will schedule tests online and will get tested in CVS parking lots or drive-thru windows. The company won't conduct testing inside its stores.

The company said its goal is to process up to 1.5 million tests monthly.

Yes. They could test a handful of MLB players before they re-entered the country and after that, they could follow whatever protocols the other players are following.

On top of that, it's hard not to imagine that lots of money would be raised for relevant charities.  A number of MLB players have already made generous donations. 

Nobody would oppose this. 

We (mistakenly, imo) take money out of schools and donate it to MLB owners to build stadiums.  No one will care if Vlad Jr. gets a corona test to bring back baseball. 

• Like 2

About crossing borders to play baseball.  You all do realize that normal work visas alone for foreign major league players during normal times are held up for a number of these players for DR players that sometimes have to wait weeks to get back into the US every spring.  Again, major leaguers.  Not minor leaguers.  Well known names.  And they make up the largest single group of foreign MLB players.  I can't imagine suddenly governments making big exceptions for players because OF the coronavirus.  I'd think the opposite.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

About crossing borders to play baseball.  You all do realize that normal work visas alone for foreign major league players during normal times are held up for a number of these players for DR players that sometimes have to wait weeks to get back into the US every spring.  Again, major leaguers.  Not minor leaguers.  Well known names.  And they make up the largest single group of foreign MLB players.  I can't imagine suddenly governments making big exceptions for players because OF the coronavirus.  I'd think the opposite.

It sounds like the P1 issue has become less complicated over the years, or at least clubs have had more experience in resolving it.

https://globalsportmatters.com/business/2018/05/10/mlb-visa-process-families-face-roadblocks/

Player's Union would probably make P4's a point so guys can bring family members if that aren't part of a P4 package that allows for a multiyear contract.

Again, I suspect that this would be something that Trump would be happy to sign off on conditionally given what he has said about wanting sports back.

7 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I'll admit that I'd forgot about that minor detail. Great point.

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Not sure if you've seen this -

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3035524001

The new free self-swab testing will take place at up to 1,000 CVS locations by the end of May, which equals more than 1 in 10 of the company's stores.

Patients will schedule tests online and will get tested in CVS parking lots or drive-thru windows. The company won't conduct testing inside its stores.

The company said its goal is to process up to 1.5 million tests monthly.

I will believe it when I see it. We were supposed to have drive thru tests at Walmart in Washington a month ago. They aren’t happening. 

• Like 1

@daynlokki why’d you’d lie and say your link included all MLB ad revenue for 2018 when the article clearly says it ended end September 26th? Do you realize MLB postseason happens mostly into October?

Also, it appears to only include national ad revenue, not local television revenue. How do you get “all”?

1 hour ago, GamblorLA said:

Yes. They could test a handful of MLB players before they re-entered the country and after that, they could follow whatever protocols the other players are following.

On top of that, it's hard not to imagine that lots of money would be raised for relevant charities.  A number of MLB players have already made generous donations. 

Nobody would oppose this. 

We (mistakenly, imo) take money out of schools and donate it to MLB owners to build stadiums.  No one will care if Vlad Jr. gets a corona test to bring back baseball. 

Your confidence is impressive but you don’t know more than the rest of us so stop acting like it.

12 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

@daynlokki why’d you’d lie and say your link included all MLB ad revenue for 2018 when the article clearly says it ended end September 26th? Do you realize MLB postseason happens mostly into October?

Also, it appears to only include national ad revenue, not local television revenue. How do you get “all”?

It’s ALL the regular season tv ad revenue. As the claim was that added ratings would grossly impact teams financially in the form of ad revenue specifically, local television revenue doesn’t matter. Now if the claim was about tv contracts as a whole it’d be a different story. That would include local television revenue. 

29 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

It’s ALL the regular season tv ad revenue. As the claim was that added ratings would grossly impact teams financially in the form of ad revenue specifically, local television revenue doesn’t matter. Now if the claim was about tv contracts as a whole it’d be a different story. That would include local television revenue. 

You said all 2018 MLB revenue. Now you’re admitting that your link omitted the postseason? 

Maybe read the article before you link it.

7 hours ago, daynlokki said:

I will believe it when I see it. We were supposed to have drive thru tests at Walmart in Washington a month ago. They aren’t happening. 

Fair enough.  But these are the CEOs of publicly traded companies telling national media outlets it will get done.  If it doesn't it's going to be a much larger public relations issue than anything claimed previously.

Cuomo considering home games in New York (albeit with no fans) this season may seem shocking to some folks considering the NYC has been the epicenter of the hot spots, but check this out:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/major-league-baseball-in-new-york-governor-andrew-cuomo-views-it-as-possibility-for-2020-season/

Many of us have long since made peace with not seeing Major League Baseball in its actual home cities this season. The "Arizona Plan" seems possible, as does the three-state plan that was first reported by R.J. Anderson of CBS Sports. How about a little optimism here in late April, though? Take it away, New York governor Andrew Cuomo.

Cuomo said that he could envision a scenario where there are baseball games played in Yankee Stadium and Citi Field this season during a Sunday press briefing. Here's more via ABC 7 in New York City:

"But if players could get paid more than staying home and owners would get some revenue versus total shutdown, why not? I'd love to watch." Cuomo says he has spoken with owners of professional sports teams, but he did not identify which ones.

They would have to make the economics work without gate revenue but with broadcast revenue. "It would have to be up to them, that they do an economic analysis that says, yeah, some revenue is better than no revenue, and my players are willing to negotiate a contract reduction," Cuomo said. "Everybody has to think outside the box, right? Because there is no box."

Edited by JE7HorseGod
11 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I know nothing about the particular work visas MLB players get, but how long are they usually good for?  Wouldn't the players have already obtained their work visa for the year, given they were in Arizona a month ago?

Just now, 89Topps said:

I know nothing about the particular work visas MLB players get, but how long are they usually good for?  Wouldn't the players have already obtained their work visa for the year, given they were in Arizona a month ago?

https://globalsportmatters.com/business/2018/05/10/mlb-visa-process-families-face-roadblocks/

Typically, a team signs a player to a contract and the P-1 visa allows that player to remain eligible in the U.S., during the length of the contract. At the end of the season (or contract), that athlete must go home.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Typically, a team signs a player to a contract and the P-1 visa allows that player to remain eligible in the U.S., during the length of the contract. At the end of the season (or contract), that athlete must go home.

So... probably a non issue then.

Just now, 89Topps said:

So... probably a non issue then.

Probably.

There is currently a work visa restriction in place of all types, but given the enthusiasm shown by Trump for sports I imagine this particular issue would be resolved pretty quickly on his front.

Further, it appears the restriction on work visas is applicable to new premium processing.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/uscis-announces-temporary-suspension-premium-processing-all-i-129-and-i-140-petitions-due-coronavirus-pandemic

Since the baseball season was never officially cancelled, I am not sure if those who already had their's in place for ST then returned to their country of origin need new processing, or are only at odds with general travel restrictions.