NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Just now, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

I don't understand why no concrete proposals other than the vague Arizona plan have come out or been proposed. It's almost May at this point. These plans need to be debated tweaked and voted on which will take time.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29101917/passan-20-questions-there-mlb-2020-just-matter-where-how

The next month could provide a number of answers to issues baseball is considering as it plots its return, and the long-term retention of employees across the sport may depend on having a known, or at least expected, revenue generator. The end of May isn't a drop-dead point to have a plan in place, sources said, as much as it's a reasonable and logical one.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've seen a few posts in the Coronavirus thread talking about this topic but they usually get covered up quickly by arguments so I thought it might be helpful to discuss this in a separate thread. If

Posted Images

https://theathletic.com/1779886/2020/04/28/rosenthal-an-inside-look-at-the-possibilities-and-risks-of-an-mlb-restart?source=user-shared-article

Pick an idea for the 2020 season, virtually any idea, and baseball is considering it, modeling it, trying to figure out exactly how it will work if tests for COVID-19 are sufficiently available and government and medical officials offer the requisite approval.

Those involved at the sport’s highest levels are increasingly confident games will be played in 2020. But league officials, trying to remain flexible amid the ever-shifting landscape of the pandemic, have yet to determine how, when and where that would happen.

The optimism for baseball’s return stems, in part, from the number of states that are considering lifting stay-at-home restrictions. Such decisions, motivated in some cases by political considerations, likely would influence baseball and its clubs, but not solely govern them; teams would need to be comfortable they were proceeding safely. The Miami Marlins and Tampa Bay Rays, for example, acted largely on guidance from the league and medical experts when they shut down March 15, more than two weeks before the state of Florida followed suit.

Three weeks ago, the most likely path for baseball appeared to be a plan in which all 30 teams would begin the season under quarantine in Arizona, with no fans in attendance. The Arizona plan, however, is probably the least desirable of the current options, though some of its elements might be integrated into the final equation. Baseball is considering a wide range of possibilities, including teams starting in their home cities, albeit in empty parks.

• Like 1

(Cont.)

The longer the sport waits, the greater the number of options that might arise, provided COVID-19 numbers trend positively in states under consideration. The most realistic time range for Opening Day — somewhere between mid-June and July 4, in the view of most officials — would allow for an 80- to 100-game regular season, with the schedule running through October. An expanded postseason at neutral sites might follow, with the World Series ending in late November or early December. Such a plan would hold particular appeal for the league’s national broadcast partners if the college football season is abbreviated or canceled, creating more programming slots.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Their reasoning? They’d probably be pissed that in the middle of a global pandemic the MLB is shuttling in players from 20 outside countries despite our borders being closed for public health reasons. Seems like an extremely easy way to start a spike in Arizona. They testing all these players before they allow them in country? Or just allowing them to come and hoping they aren’t infected? If it could be done safely is the key. Can it? Arizona has tested about 7k people a week so far. They would need more tests just for players and personnel. Are thy able to get those tests without putting the people of Arizona at a higher risk? What are the guidelines is someone gets sick? Teams are sharing hotels, if one person gets sick is the entire hotel going to be quarantined? How is testing going to work when it comes to the public that have direct interactions with the players (hotel workers, etc)? How protected are the managers who are most at risk if you do this?

I think you're overestimating the amount of blowback MLB would get for this.

First, I don't think John Q Public even knows where players live.  Second, the number of people who would actually do a deep dive on how players entered the country is probably pretty small.  Third, as with most things, people would probably be upset about it for a day, then move in to something else.  Fourth, for actual fans, I sincerely doubt it would impact they're fandom or viewership.

Golf announced they were planning to restart their season and were going to try to obtain 1 million tests.  There was maybe a day of "outrage", then...not much since.  And I guarantee that wouldn't meaningfully impact the sports ratings.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, daynlokki said:

We weren’t discussing TV revenue. He specifically said they would make a ton more money from ad revenue. Which they won’t do. 

Wouldn’t even be remotely controversial to open the US border to 20 different countries specifically so baseball players could play a game? Anyone that’s not a baseball fan is gonna find that drastically controversial. They’d tell everyone to go to hell based on the national stances currently happening. They just agreed to close the border to Canada for another month. 

You're talking about weighing the risk/reward of playing empty stadium games, it isn't fair to say the MLB really doesn't make that much money off of ads.  When clearly the full number that really matters in this topic is the entirety of TV revenue.  I am pretty sure the OP was referencing all of TV money which would be the only logical reference when making this argument.

It's not fair to try to tell someone they are wrong by cherry picking a very small piece of data from a much larger data set..

The reward for empty stadium games is not just MLB ad revenue.  But it is the revenue of all the TV contracts with big and small networks.  Which that fangraphs article goes into and lays out much better numbers to use when discussing the topic of conversation of what kind of revenue is being left on the table by not playing empty stadium games.

Edited by Rotocious
  • Like 1

I love Rosenthal, but next to none of that info is new.

"We're optimistic baseball will be back!"

"So, what's the plan?"

"Uhhhhhhh..."

I'm with @Triple Short Of a Cycle, it's almost May and it already feels like we're running low on time. Especially with nearly a month of spring/summer training whenever things get moving.

I think baseball is missing a big opportunity here. With the NBA setting times for reopening their facilities to players, MLB could really benefit from getting back to it sooner than later. The NFL draft proved that people are starving for something that looks close to normal. MLB was lagging behind the NFL and NBA in popularity before the pandemic, so bickering over who gets what percentage of revenue this year is just not what people want to hear. MLB get it together. Get teams playing in empty stadiums and take advantage of an opportunity to gain some credibility and popularity back with the fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, TribeFoo said:

"So, what's the plan?"

"Uhhhhhhh..."

I'm with @Triple Short Of a Cycle, it's almost May and it already feels like we're running low on time. Especially with nearly a month of spring/summer training whenever things get moving.

We see what we want to see.

Like from the Passan article yesterday -

"OK then. What's the latest?

Lots. And nothing. It's a contradictory existence in which the baseball world is doing everything it can to prepare for games without any firm plan in place for when or where those games will be played.

In a letter to those covered by the uniform employee contract last week, commissioner Rob Manfred wrote: "While I fully anticipate that baseball will resume this season, it is very difficult to predict with any accuracy the timeline for the resumption of our season." In the letter, Manfred told the employees -- managers, coaches, scouts and other non-players -- that he planned to suspend the contracts this Friday, allowing teams to not pay them if they so desire.

Nearly every team has guaranteed baseball-operations employees payment through May 31 -- a date, sources said, that is no accident. The next month could provide a number of answers to issues baseball is considering as it plots its return, and the long-term retention of employees across the sport may depend on having a known, or at least expected, revenue generator. The end of May isn't a drop-dead point to have a plan in place, sources said, as much as it's a reasonable and logical one."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29101917/passan-20-questions-there-mlb-2020-just-matter-where-how

In short, reopening states just started, no one is too sure that they'll stay open, but discussions on how to have a season have been had, several possible plans depending on how the situation evolves have been discussed.  There seems to be some consensus that if these states do stay open, a logical timeframe for next steps with the plan would be sometime in May, but that's not necessarily a drop dead date, and that baseball could presumably start sometime in June or by July 4th.  So if it "feels like we're running low on time," well, that's not a consensus, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

"So, what's the plan?"

"Uhhhhhhh..."

Daily deaths and new cases have gone drastically down and have stayed there for a few days now.  Active cases have peaked in the country. 

The Upper East coast is where covid is far worse than the rest of the country.  51% of the deaths are in New York and New Jersey.  40% are in New York alone.

I fully expect The MLB to start getting very serious about the Arizona plan over these next couple of weeks.  I'd be surprised if the league wasn't playing in Arizona by early June.  I also fully expect Florida to get scrapped from the conversation because they are doing worse than Arizona with covid19 and they are much closer to the upper east coast where most of the countries cases and deaths are currently at.

Just now, Rotocious said:

Daily deaths and new cases have gone drastically down and have stayed there for a few days now.  Active cases have peaked in the country. 

The Upper East coast is where covid is far worse than the rest of the country.  51% of the deaths are in New York and New Jersey.  40% are in New York alone.

I fully expect The MLB to start getting very serious about the Arizona plan over these next couple of weeks.  I'd be surprised if the league wasn't playing in Arizona by early June.  I also fully expect Florida to get scrapped from the conversation because they are doing worse than Arizona with covid19 and they are much closer to the upper east coast where most of the countries cases and deaths are currently at.

Cuomo, who hasn't exactly been shy about delivering tough news, said he can still envision baseball being played in NYC this summer in empty stadiums.

https://apnews.com/50172d242b0ccf5408e80fa0f22d2216

Easy enough to say "well that's a pipe dream, costs him nothing to say 'it's possible.'"

Which is true.  But it also costs him nothing to say, "we've been devastated as a city, we can't even begin to think about something like sporting events at a time like this."

1 hour ago, Rotocious said:

You're talking about weighing the risk/reward of playing empty stadium games, it isn't fair to say the MLB really doesn't make that much money off of ads.  When clearly the full number that really matters in this topic is the entirety of TV revenue.  I am pretty sure the OP was referencing all of TV money which would be the only logical reference when making this argument.

It's not fair to try to tell someone they are wrong by cherry picking a very small piece of data from a much larger data set..

The reward for empty stadium games is not just MLB ad revenue.  But it is the revenue of all the TV contracts with big and small networks.  Which that fangraphs article goes into and lays out much better numbers to use when discussing the topic of conversation of what kind of revenue is being left on the table by not playing empty stadium games.

TV revenue and ad revenue aside, there is also the opportunity cost of not having a season of baseball to push the sales of officially licensed products. If baseball were to take a year off, the lack of games to market these products or build excitement for purchasing team branded hats, shirts, jerseys, coffee cups, grill covers, etc. goes in the tank for a whole year. Is product sales a minuscule revenue stream? All of theses revenue streams add up to craploads of millions of dollars. So you’re faced with losing this year’s inventory to waste which is not just reduced revenue it’s a potential financial disaster. On the other hand, they could have the most unencumbered share of audience since before cable TV existed, being the best thing on TV, the biggest story in the news and resulting in flourishing (maybe record-setting) product sales. They already have a breast cancer line of products that have been a success, why not a COVID line? Baseball themed face masks anyone? Maybe one with a catcher’s mask and team logo? So it could be really, really bad or potentially really, really good financially. Let’s not forget this is a sport that saw success fielding women in wartime.  

6 hours ago, 89Topps said:

I know nothing about the particular work visas MLB players get, but how long are they usually good for?  Wouldn't the players have already obtained their work visa for the year, given they were in Arizona a month ago?

That wasn't the point of my post.  My point is that if MLB players do NOT get "special" treatment for work visas under normal times why would they get special treatment to re-enter the US now during an epidemic when the borders are still closed.

6 hours ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

I don't understand why no concrete proposals other than the vague Arizona plan have come out or been proposed. It's almost May at this point. These plans need to be debated tweaked and voted on which will take time.

Because no one knows anything because the federal government didn't do it's duty and get tests out to the states.  There is no coordinated Marshal Plan like plan in place to get the data and there never has been.  Even now there still are not enough test kits (or reagents or swabs to use them with) to do testing at the appropriate levels to make rational plans. 

And Arizona has been at the bottom tier of states getting testing results too so no one knows the real numbers in that state.  All we know is there are way more cases in that state then are being reported because of the lack of testing and Arizona hasn't reached the peak of it's wave yet.  So not enough testing, nothing opens in any rational manner.  And unlike Georgia, MLB is trying to be rational about re-opening.

1 hour ago, Rotocious said:

Be prepared to be surprised. The Rotoworld article today said the MOST optimistic start date wouldn't be until mid-June or around July the 4th as in:

... "As Rosenthal notes within the piece, a possible start for Opening Day could range from mid-June to July 4 ..."

Also, again for the fourth time I mentioned this, Arizona is among the last states in the country projected to open up by the federal government's model.  It is in the same tier as NY and California on that model map. 

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Major League Baseball officials have become cautiously optimistic this week that the season will start in late June, and no later than July 2, playing at least 100 regular-season games, according to three executives with knowledge of the talks. They requested anonymity because the plan is still under consideration.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2020/04/28/mlb-optimistic-about-starting-season-late-june/3039275001/

• Like 2
1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Also, again for the fourth time I mentioned this, Arizona is among the last states in the country projected to open up by the federal government's model.  It is in the same tier as NY and California on that model map. 

The problem with this argument is that the federal government's model is just that -- a model states can choose to adhere to or not.  If MLB wants to get started and Arizona's governor sees an opportunity, the feds aren't going to get in the way of baseball starting again.  Whether the players choose to support such a plan depends highly on the details of the plan, how safe they feel the plan is for them and their families, etc, and that's really hard to get a handle on right now.

Arizona's on a better trajectory than Georgia right now in terms of new cases per capita and about even with Texas, so if cases in Georgia don't skyrocket in a week or two, you'll see a lot of other states rolling the dice, and I'd bet Arizona is among the first to follow suit.

• Like 1
Just now, tonycpsu said:

so if cases in Georgia don't skyrocket in a week or two, you'll see a lot of other states rolling the dice, and I'd bet Arizona is among the first to follow suit.

I'm wondering what the threshold for us will be for other governors to feel like "it worked."

We're going to have more cases, that much is certain.  We're also going to have more tests.

I'm not really sure how the calculus is going to work using us the canary, honestly.  Will be interesting.

2 hours ago, Rotocious said:

I get why you are saying but the guy specifically said MLB teams will make a killing off ad revenue based on ratings. I was just stating that’s not the case and he was grossly overestimating how much ad revenue is for a team. As I have now said about five times. 

1 hour ago, TheForearmShiver said:

TV revenue and ad revenue aside, there is also the opportunity cost of not having a season of baseball to push the sales of officially licensed products. If baseball were to take a year off, the lack of games to market these products or build excitement for purchasing team branded hats, shirts, jerseys, coffee cups, grill covers, etc. goes in the tank for a whole year. Is product sales a minuscule revenue stream? All of theses revenue streams add up to craploads of millions of dollars. So you’re faced with losing this year’s inventory to waste which is not just reduced revenue it’s a potential financial disaster. On the other hand, they could have the most unencumbered share of audience since before cable TV existed, being the best thing on TV, the biggest story in the news and resulting in flourishing (maybe record-setting) product sales. They already have a breast cancer line of products that have been a success, why not a COVID line? Baseball themed face masks anyone? Maybe one with a catcher’s mask and team logo? So it could be really, really bad or potentially really, really good financially. Let’s not forget this is a sport that saw success fielding women in wartime.  

The fact that you keep pushing the economic side and completely ignore the possible loss of life and spread of a pandemic which is in no way under control baffles me. So, what’s the plan with managers? Most are older men which would legitimately be the wheelhouse of most likely to die from covid. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

The problem with this argument is that the federal government's model is just that -- a model states can choose to adhere to or not.  If MLB wants to get started and Arizona's governor sees an opportunity, the feds aren't going to get in the way of baseball starting again.  Whether the players choose to support such a plan depends highly on the details of the plan, how safe they feel the plan is for them and their families, etc, and that's really hard to get a handle on right now.

Arizona's on a better trajectory than Georgia right now in terms of new cases per capita and about even with Texas, so if cases in Georgia don't skyrocket in a week or two, you'll see a lot of other states rolling the dice, and I'd bet Arizona is among the first to follow suit.

The model has them opening up later predominantly because of a lack of testing. They are 49th per capita in the US. They have tested under 10k people per million. As soon as the MLB moves in with a rash of tests (they have to test every single person they could possibly come into direct contact with before moving everything there anyways) they will most likely have a major bump in cases. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

I get why you are saying but the guy specifically said MLB teams will make a killing off ad revenue based on ratings. I was just stating that’s not the case and he was grossly overestimating how much ad revenue is for a team. As I have now said about five times. 

The fact that you keep pushing the economic side and completely ignore the possible loss of life and spread of a pandemic which is in no way under control baffles me. So, what’s the plan with managers? Most are older men which would legitimately be the wheelhouse of most likely to die from covid. 

Do you mean that they are higher risk than the players or that they are legitimately likely to die from covid?

31 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

34 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

The fact that you keep ignoring everyone from Manfred to Anthony freaking Fauci to Boras to Andrew Cuomo to Lori Lightfoot and all the reports saying baseball will almost definitely be back - is beyond baffling. You just can’t open your mind to the fact that a massive concert effort is being made to make baseball happen.

We’re just telling you why it makes sense *for them* to make these efforts or why *they aren’t opposed it* or why *they will justify it*.

Do you think it’s lost on these decision makers that a few of their managers are 60+ years old?  I’m not sure I’d say most managers are these old senior citizens. The trend has been teams hiring super young guys in so many of these roles. Again, I’m not sure what your point is because they’re clearly looking at this. Plus, being 60 years old and perfectly healthy (read: former professional athletes) may not be considered high risk anyway. The average age of MLB managers is 51 and that’s with crusty a** Dusty at 71 years old skewing the average. There are a lot of guys on their late 30’s and 40’s and only a few in their early 60’s. The era of old crusty baseball managers is more a thing of the past. 

• Like 4

MLB discussing plan to start season in late June, playing in home stadiums with realigned league

And not only would baseball be played, but it would be played in their own major-league ballparks, albeit with no fans.

MLB is considering a three-division, 10-team plan in which teams play only within their division – a concept gaining support among owners and executives. It would abolish the traditional American and National Leagues, and realign the divisions based on geography.

The plan, pending approval of medical experts and providing that COVID-19 testing is available to the public, would eliminate the need for players to be in isolation and allow them to still play at their home ballparks while severely reducing travel.

The divisions would keep many of the natural rivals together, while playing one another before an expanded playoff format.

Here's a look at the possible realignment structure:

EAST

• New York Yankees and Mets, Boston Red Sox, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Blue Jays, Tampa Bay Rays, Miami Marlins

WEST

• Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners

CENTRAL

• Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Detroit Tigers

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2020/04/28/mlb-optimistic-about-starting-season-late-june/3039275001/

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

The fact that you keep ignoring everyone from Manfred to Anthony freaking Fauci to Boras to Andrew Cuomo to Lori Lightfoot and all the reports saying baseball will almost definitely be back - is beyond baffling. You just can’t open your mind to the fact that a massive concert effort is being made to make baseball happen.

We’re just telling you why it makes sense *for them* to make these efforts or why *they aren’t opposed it* or why *they will justify it*.

Do you think it’s lost on these decision makers that a few of their managers are 60+ years old?  I’m not sure I’d say most managers are these old senior citizens. The trend has been teams hiring super young guys in so many of these roles. Again, I’m not sure what your point is because they’re clearly looking at this. Plus, being 60 years old and perfectly healthy (read: former professional athletes) may not be considered high risk anyway. The average age of MLB managers is 51 and that’s with crusty a** Dusty at 71 years old skewing the average. There are a lot of guys on their late 30’s and 40’s and only a few in their early 60’s. The era of old crusty baseball managers is more a thing of the past. 

At this rate if there is an Opening Day I'm expecting some folks to disavow its existence.

56 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Do you mean that they are higher risk than the players or that they are legitimately likely to die from covid?

Higher risk. Men are more likely to die from covid than women. Older people are also more likely to die than younger. The group most likely to die from covid right now are males above 60. That’s a lot of major league managers. 

54 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

You counting all the other people who work for the team such as assistants, 3rd and 1st base coaches, trainers, bench coaches, etc. Not to mention if the mlb starts up milb does too otherwise there is nobody to fill in for injuries so add up all those in that age range from there too. Just because it’s a minority, doesn’t mean it doesn’t matter. You think it’s ok to have a sacrifice of life just so people can play a game for our entertainment? I don’t care if it’s ONE person who is at severe risk. It’s not worth it then. Also, how many players and managers have underlying conditions? Mancini probably will have to be away from everyone after his diagnosis, what about carrasco? Any other players with diabetes? Bartolo Colon is a former professional athlete too. Like that even matters for how healthy you actually are after you retire. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

MLB discussing plan to start season in late June, playing in home stadiums with realigned league

So how are they gonna play in home stadiums if the US/Canada border is closed? Canada gonna sign off on people flying in and out every day for games?

1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

So how are they gonna play in home stadiums if the US/Canada border is closed? Canada gonna sign off on people flying in and out every day for games?

You should ask them. It’s their plan. I bet it came up in their meetings.

Unless in a few days they’re gonna be like,  “Oh **** dude...we got a team in Canada! What the hell do we do now? We had this whole big plan and forgot about the Blue Jays!”  

• Haha 1