NBC Sports Edge Forums

Melvin Gordon 2020 Outlook

• ESPN's Cameron Wolfe reports the Dolphins have interest in free agent Melvin Gordon.

The Chargers won't be re-signing Gordon, but his free-agent landing spot remains up in the air. Miami would be an obvious fit for Gordon as the most running back needy team in the league. Gordon has said he would play for the Dolphins "for the right price." Gordon turned down $10 million annually during his holdout, but his value is down coming off a middling 2019. Signing with Miami would give Gordon his best chance at an every-down role.

RELATED: 
    SOURCE: ESPN
    Mar 15, 2020, 11:09 AM ET

•  
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok...I think I've got it now.  If I did everything right, you should see a pic of a dinosaur serving a whiskey to a dwarf.  

Good points.  I've done some work on this after reading your post.   And by my calculations, assuming they have the same calf size, Gordon is standing about 30 feet behind Mixon and is actually about

Honestly those are some sickass shorts 

12 minutes ago, sSektor said:

I just don't see why the Dolphins would sign him when they're rebuilding and don't even have their QB of the future yet.

Averages less then 300 touches a year and is going to be 27 going into the season, so they can have him for 3-4 years. Can help with the development of a young qb. Gordon can keep them semi-competitive and not force the dolphins to burn an early pick on a rb.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, sSektor said:

I just don't see why the Dolphins would sign him when they're rebuilding and don't even have their QB of the future yet.

Because it's cheaper to sign a big name rb to sell tickets  as the focus of the offense while you assemble the rest of the pieces. Fans stopped going to Miami games last season once the tanking started. 

He will immensely help out Fitzpatrick given his ability to catch and pass protect. 

Think of it like this  from a front office perspective, Fitzpatrick and Gordon will cheaply bridge the  1-3yr gap until Miami can get the young franchise pieces they need to build. 

Edited by dashoe

Id be staying away from gordon if he goes to miami. Dolphins run game last year was absolute dogshit. I get that it was ballage and....walton? but c'mon. Ill let someone else deal with the headache.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hockeyfan77 said:

I'd will be staying away from Gordon is he signs with Miami unless he really falls

2 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Id be staying away from gordon if he goes to miami. Dolphins run game last year was absolute dogshit. I get that it was ballage and....walton? but c'mon. Ill let someone else deal with the headache.

Agreed. The Chargers run attack was similarly bad and he's rushed for over 4ypc once in his 5 year career. Miami ran the least amount of run plays out of any team last year. But oddly enough ran the 11th most plays total. They also ran for 10 TDs total, Fitzpatrick accounting for 4 of them. It would take a very heavy workload in the passing game to make him worth what his draft capital will probably be. And I don't believe Miami is built to feed one RB 90-100 targets.

Edit: Let me rephrase similarly bad to was also bad, but not as bad as Miami's.

Edited by Nickmo

Don’t forget that the fins head coach is a bill belichick guy and was brought up through the ranks in New England. He could very well want to have a committee similar what New England has now. 

9 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Don’t forget that the fins head coach is a bill belichick guy and was brought up through the ranks in New England. He could very well want to have a committee similar what New England has now. 

No

Well, I won’t be touching Denver’s back field now. Freeman is pretty much getting traded or cut I imagine. Bucs or Steelers need a RB. Gordon cost himself big time money. Has to feel so silly. 

(Half glass full) Lindsey gets the Eckler role which with his size, is probably best. Royce is Justin Jackson.

Gordon is a pretty good goal line back. A lot of his stock will depend if he acquires that role again.

I'd guess a mid RB2 by years end.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Melvin Gordon 2020 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic