NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Melvin Gordon 2020 Outlook

The G Man

On 3/28/2020 at 11:03 AM, Stonej14 said:

I don’t think this is fair to him. He’s never had a good o-line to run behind and tore an ACL in his rookie year. Excellent in the passing game even tho he isn’t a kamara level great. Hasn’t had any notable offensive genius’s calling plays to help him like Mcvay did gurely or shanahan did for freeman and the falcons. He does have an injury problem but I think “one of the most overrated backs ever” isn’t accurate.

I agree that “one of the most overrated backs ever” is probably an exaggeration. "one of the most overrated backs in recent years" most certainly is not. People act like he's so great, yet he's only played a full season once and only averaged over 3.9 YPC once. Please. The rest of what you say are mostly excuses. Ekeler did notably better with the same team. 

Denver is a 1a, 1b, 1c RB team and good luck guessing which is which. He won't be on my team.

On 4/2/2020 at 8:54 PM, bomont said:

I agree that “one of the most overrated backs ever” is probably an exaggeration. "one of the most overrated backs in recent years" most certainly is not. People act like he's so great, yet he's only played a full season once and only averaged over 3.9 YPC once. Please. The rest of what you say are mostly excuses. Ekeler did notably better with the same team. 

Denver is a 1a, 1b, 1c RB team and good luck guessing which is which. He won't be on my team.

A.  He's never ran behind a decent line, and makes most plays entirely by himself.  

B.  Ekeler has never been the bellcow, its not surprising that he's more efficient.  Please, buy high on Ekeler this year.  I'm hoping there's one in my draft

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdko said:

A.  He's never ran behind a decent line, and makes most plays entirely by himself.  

B.  Ekeler has never been the bellcow, its not surprising that he's more efficient.  Please, buy high on Ekeler this year.  I'm hoping there's one in my draft

The Chargers ranked 13th in the league in Adjusted Line Yards last season - just behind the Colts and ahead of the Eagles.

Edited by BMcP

59 minutes ago, BMcP said:

The Chargers ranked 13th in the league in Adjusted Line Yards last season - just behind the Colts and ahead of the Eagles.

Last season yeah , and the year before that in 2018 . Prior to that O-line was awful for the run. I’ll say it again MG3 isn’t elite by any means , but folks are immensely confused on his talent.

Let’s remember he held out in 2019 , came back rusty , he just wasn’t himself. Anyone with half a brain of football IQ could see that. So he avged 3.8 YAC

2018 with a good line he avged 5.1 YAC

Bad O-line:

2017  3.9 YAC

2016  3.9 YAC

2015  3.5 YAC (Rookie Year)

Now we can easily say his one good year in 2018 was a fluke . But context is everything ... is Melvin a stud back ? Hell No . Is he a good running back ? Yeah most definitely 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2020 at 11:54 PM, bomont said:

He has avaeraged 3.9 ypc twice and over 5 ypc once. And he gets 9 or more tds every year except his rookie year. Ekeler is a receiving back who can make some plays in the run game but I don’t think we can compare the two when Ekeler hasn’t ever had 140 carries in a season. Is Gordon a little overrated? Maybe but I think he’s better than the average nfl starter that’s for sure. 

Maybe Ekeler did have a better 2019 season but remember how great Melvin Gordon was in 2018? He averaged like 25 fantasy points a game averaged over 5 yards per carry 1300 total yards with 50 catches and 14 TDs in only 12 games. When he got hurt Ekeler came in and laid an egg. Justin Jackson helped players more in fantasy. I’d be weary of Ekeler this year especially without the check down master rivers. 

Denver is probably 1A and 1B I don’t see any situation without injuries that get freeman on the field much 

Edited by Stonej14
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 9:54 PM, bomont said:

first paragraph- spot on.   Gordon is an average rb at best.  

Highly doubt Royce sees anywhere near the playing time of the other two.  More like 1a/b and an occasional touch/ST for Freeman. The Devonte Booker 2019 role 

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i might scoop him up if he falls really far in drafts. melvin's running style has never impressed me. maybe i'm watching the wrong highlights. he gets these big holes and runs straight through them. he never struck me as being shifty or elusive. leveon bell struck me as being slow too but at least he had a way of wiggling through defenses.

On 4/4/2020 at 8:41 PM, Impreza178 said:

first paragraph- spot on.   Gordon is an average rb at best.  

Highly doubt Royce sees anywhere near the playing time of the other two.  More like 1a/b and an occasional touch/ST for Freeman. The Devonte Booker 2019 role 

Yeah the bigger question is what they do with Lindsay.

Could see a fair amount of 2 back sets.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 9:15 AM, Rush2112 said:

^ He's not falling Gordon is going early he's a solid RB1 in the NFL. 

i'm also nervous he loses value because philip rivers isn't throwing to him in the end zone anymore. isn't the denver quarterback bad? plus you have backfield competition. melvin gordon is a big guy but he never struck me as having break away speed or being shifty.

5 minutes ago, ed06288 said:

isn't the denver quarterback bad?

He's not.

I was expecting him to be, but he was actually pretty competent.  They went 4-1 down the stretch once they put him in there and he was really smart with the football.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Melvin Gordon 2020 Outlook
On 4/19/2020 at 12:29 PM, JE7HorseGod said:

He's not.

I was expecting him to be, but he was actually pretty competent.  They went 4-1 down the stretch once they put him in there and he was really smart with the football.

He had 1 good game vs texans.

And didn't cost his team any (tho the kc performance was not so hot).

Dont really know if win/loss is best way to evaluate a qb for fantasy, but hey, leagues have different scoring settings i guess.

1 minute ago, itslarry said:

He had 1 good game vs texans.

And didn't cost his team any (tho the kc performance was not so hot).

Dont really know if win/loss is best way to evaluate a qb for fantasy, but hey, leagues have different scoring settings i guess.

I didn't read "is Denver qb bad?" in the the post I was responding to in context of, "do I want to start Drew Lock in fantasy?"  It seemed to me more, "is Drew Lock so bad that he is going to dampen Melvin Gordon's prospects?"

To wit, I would say no, he wasn't that bad and it's conceivable he could get better.  In the limited sample size, he did what was asked of him which was not to hurt the team in spite of very limited receiving options and put the team in position to win games as opposed to going out and playing superhero ball.

• Like 2

Broncos’ offense has a chance to be pretty good next year, with a full off-season for Lock, Shurmur as the new OC, plus Gordon and Jeudy. Only question as it relates to Gordon for me would be the workload split between him and Lindsey. But I think he could be a viable RB2 in PPR. The Broncos didn’t bring him on and aren’t paying him what they’re paying him to ride the pine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K197040 said:

The pic was too big to post.

But go Google, "Melvin Gordon's skinny legs" and look at the images.

Hard pass.

nod33cv6qlg11.jpg

Edit: real friends don't let friends skip leg day.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

nod33cv6qlg11.jpg

Edit: real friends don't let friends skip leg day.

Hey...PM me the code for that.   Most sites are as easy as copy/paste and this one's not.  I've been too lazy to see what I'm supposed to do.

3 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Hey...PM me the code for that.   Most sites are as easy as copy/paste and this one's not.  I've been too lazy to see what I'm supposed to do.

If you have a link and paste it, the forum will show the image.

It has to be a real image link though, eg some gif sites have URLs that end in a slash and then it generally doesn't work; so then you sometimes have to hack it a bit.

In this case it was simply https://i.redd.it/nod33cv6qlg11.jpg

Paste that and it should work.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

If you have a link and paste it, the forum will show the image.

It has to be a real image link though, eg some gif sites have URLs that end in a slash and then it generally doesn't work; so then you sometimes have to hack it a bit.

In this case it was simply https://i.redd.it/nod33cv6qlg11.jpg

Paste that and it should work.

thanks

Edited by K197040