NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Melvin Gordon 2020 Outlook

The G Man

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been one of the biggest Melvin Gordon deniers in the past, always pointing to the YPC and writing him off as an inefficient RB.

As we gear up for draft season, I'm looking at my potential blind spots on Gordon with the move to DEN that comes with a A) better offensive line B) better scheme and C) more offensive weapons in general that could add up to a better overall team, if the QB is up to it. 

Pat Shurmur has also been a one back play caller historically, but Lindsay has definitely earned his own role. 

I'm starting to think of MG as an unsexy, reliable RB2 that is moderate in cost compared to backs with similar projections of opportunity. Especially early in the season while they try to get Lock off the starting line, we may see an even larger reliance on the running game than the balanced Broncos will even out to. 

He can catch, he's getting a better scheme, a better offensive line, and a fresh start.  I think he is set up to outscore his ADP in front of Bell, Fournette, Carson and DJ. Conner and Gurley will be closer. 

Broncos beat writers Ryan O'Halloran and Kyle Newman expect Melvin Gordon

to be the team's Week 1 starter. (The Denver Post) 

Fantasy Impact:

As expected. The Broncos signed Gordon to a two-year, $16 million deal this offseason and will want him to carry the load. Philip Lindsay will still mix in, however, but he's best viewed as the 1B to Gordon's 1A.

its funny how they "expect him to carry the load" then literally state in the next sentence that they expect Lindsay to be the 1b to Gordons 1a...lol that dont mean hes carrying the Load.....

contradict...

Edited by SyNdicateZ

We will find out more within these next two weeks in training camp but it appears they are splitting reps 50-50 at this time..

Even though I have Gordon on one of my teams, I just don’t feel confident about it as I can see Lindsey outplaying him in the first few weeks. 

5 minutes ago, Leopard said:

We will find out more within these next two weeks in training camp but it appears they are splitting reps 50-50 at this time..

Even though I have Gordon on one of my teams, I just don’t feel confident about it as I can see Lindsey outplaying him in the first few weeks. 

take Lindsay for the home games ...

"I'm struggling a little bit, I'm struggling a up here little bit with the altitude," Gordon said following Sunday's practice. "What I keep hearing is when we play other places, we won't even get tired, so I'm looking forward to that. Right now it's tough, trying to finish downfield, and things like that. It's dry out here, I'm trying to drink water every second, lips are dry. That's the biggest adjustment, working all offseason and coming here and still feeling like you're still not in shape because of the altitude."

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

take Lindsay for the home games ...

"I'm struggling a little bit, I'm struggling a up here little bit with the altitude," Gordon said following Sunday's practice. "What I keep hearing is when we play other places, we won't even get tired, so I'm looking forward to that. Right now it's tough, trying to finish downfield, and things like that. It's dry out here, I'm trying to drink water every second, lips are dry. That's the biggest adjustment, working all offseason and coming here and still feeling like you're still not in shape because of the altitude."

There's a month before games. He'll be used to it by then

How many times is that picture gonna be posted in here? 

MG3 is a boss.  It all depends on their Line and QB obviously, but they have plenty of weapons outside, a good athletic freak TE, as well.  So teams can't stack the box if Lock is any good and Gordon should have plenty of room to run.

How is there Oline shaping up to be? If he has room he'll run away with the lion's share of touches in that backfield.

1 hour ago, Mustangt125 said:

How many times is that picture gonna be posted in here? 

MG3 is a boss.  It all depends on their Line and QB obviously, but they have plenty of weapons outside, a good athletic freak TE, as well.  So teams can't stack the box if Lock is any good and Gordon should have plenty of room to run.

How is there Oline shaping up to be? If he has room he'll run away with the lion's share of touches in that backfield.

Honestly, I don’t see the Broncos having a tough time moving the ball...their offense and oline look pretty solid that Gordon should be successful this season. Lock should take a step forward this season as well. 

The concern is always going to be Lindsey, hard to ignore the fact that he is very elusive and talented. I don’t see Gordon getting anywhere close to 300 touches at all with Lindsey around, hoping for 240ish touches..