NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Cam Newton 2020 Outlook

dashoe

Scam gonna break hearts this year. To hear them say "he's the hardest working" gives me flashbacks to him being afraid to dive on a ball in the Super Bowl. 

Unless Billy boy somehow got this dude to change his ego, I expect a 15-20 finish. 

Edited by oliminator123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oliminator123 said:

Scam gonna break hearts this year. To hear them say "he's the hardest working" gives me flashbacks to him being afraid to dive on a ball in the Super Bowl. 

Unless Billy boy somehow got this dude to change his ego, I expect a 15-20 finish. 

Put your money where your mouth is?

$100 says if Cam plays at least 8 healthy games, he's better than 15th in PPG. (Yahoo Default Scoring, QB position) 

• Haha 1

Bill Belichick and Josh Mcdaniels will reignite Cams career. Just like every other veteran "has been" player they have brought in. Then, Cam will go where the Money is next season to only never be heard of again and shoulda stayed in NE and win.. The end.

Edited by SyNdicateZ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, next big thing cp84 said:

Officially named the starter and team captain today. Arguably no higher upside as a late round QB than Cam.

I am considering picking him up off waivers and starting him week 1 against the Dolphins... anyone else?

Seems like a no-brainer start...it's still the Dolphins. They got another year or two to go. 

58 minutes ago, next big thing cp84 said:

Officially named the starter and team captain today. Arguably no higher upside as a late round QB than Cam.

I am considering picking him up off waivers and starting him week 1 against the Dolphins... anyone else?

Drafted him as my starter, for $2.  Because I didn't let 2 games played in 2019 mean more to me than the 123 games played in 2011, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, and '18.
This forum lives and dies on recency bias; profit off of their ignorance.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I really don’t know how to feel about Cam this year. In the ideal world, he’d be a guy I would sit and wait on while I rolled out a safer qb but lower upside QB to start the season. I mean, if you drafted Cam as a starter, you’re probably sitting pretty at your other positions and can afford a high floor, low upside option to start the season. In all likelihood, he was probably your second qb drafted anyways. Just my 2 cents. Always been a big fan but didn’t manage to get him this year.

Edited by WaiverLooter

2 hours ago, WaiverLooter said:

I really don’t know how to feel about Cam this year. In the ideal world, he’d be a guy I would sit and wait on while I rolled out a safer qb but lower upside QB to start the season. I mean, if you drafted Cam as a starter, you’re probably sitting pretty at your other positions and can afford a high floor, low upside option to start the season. In all likelihood, he was probably your second qb drafted anyways. Just my 2 cents. Always been a big fan but didn’t manage to get him this year.

There is always high upside if a guy is a threat to run for 40 yards a game. Now he's paired with some great coaching minds...

I can see your logic that his weapons aren't spectacular. However, he does have some capable WRs and he has James White in the backfield, along with his legs. Pats defense could regress too, leading to more Cam goodness.

Definitely starter-worthy. 

If Bill Belichicks on board so am I. Both have something to prove this yr. Cam has a boulder on his shoulder, reminds me of when Vick returned and everyone thought he'd be finished.. I got him as my backup but was prepared to draft him as my QB1. 

From 2016-2018, Cam averaged 278.78 total fantasy points, which would've led him to a top 12 finish among QBs last season. His last full season played was in 2017, where he put up 299.48 total points which would've placed him in the top 6 among QB scoring last season behind Watson. Mahomes did miss 2 games last season so if we count that, Cam's total points would've been top 7.

12 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

From 2016-2018, Cam averaged 278.78 total fantasy points, which would've led him to a top 12 finish among QBs last season. His last full season played was in 2017, where he put up 299.48 total points which would've placed him in the top 6 among QB scoring last season behind Watson. Mahomes did miss 2 games last season so if we count that, Cam's total points would've been top 7.

Cam's 2017 would have 11th in PPG last season with 18.7, behind Jackson (28.1), Watson (22.1), Dak (21.8), Stafford (21.5), Winston (21.0), Mahomes (20.9), Wilson (20.9), Brees (20.8), Tannehill (19.2), and Ryan (18.8). Next would be Allen and Murray (18.6).

That was Cam at age 28 putting up a career high rush atts (139) and yards (754).

5 minutes ago, rex_bulkhead said:

Cam's 2017 would have 11th in PPG last season with 18.7, behind Jackson (28.1), Watson (22.1), Dak (21.8), Stafford (21.5), Winston (21.0), Mahomes (20.9), Wilson (20.9), Brees (20.8), Tannehill (19.2), and Ryan (18.8). Next would be Allen and Murray (18.6).

That was Cam at age 28 putting up a career high rush atts (139) and yards (754).

Yes I was going by total points, thanks for the ppg stats.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2020 at 12:47 PM, SyNdicateZ said:

Bill Belichick and Josh Mcdaniels will reignite Cams career. Just like every other veteran "has been" player they have brought in. Then, Cam will go where the Money is next season to only never be heard of again and shoulda stayed in NE and win.. The end.

Do you feel this way about Brady as well?

12 hours ago, rex_bulkhead said:

Scoring Format matters so much.

Look, if you're in a league that gives 6 points for all TDs, then Cam Newton's appeal is significantly decreased.  The entire draw of Cam (and other running QBs) is that every rushing TD they score, is 50% more valuable than a throwing TD, on top of the fact that every rushing yard is 250% more valuable than a passing yard.  If your league scoring negates half of these benefits, then by all means, Cam will not be as appealing or successful in those formats.

For those of us who use Yahoo Default Scoring (4pt Passing TDs)
Cam's 2018 PPG average was 20.8.  This would have ranked him 5th last year, tied with Drew Brees.
Cam's 2017 PPG average was 19.6. This would have ranked him 9th last year among QBs who played at least 4 games.
Cam's 2016 PPG average was 17.6.  The worst season of his career to date, would have ranked 13th among qualified QBs last year.  Ahead of multiple guys being drafted ahead of him right now, such as Rodgers, Brady, Baker, Wentz... but I digress.
Cam's 2015 PPG average was 24.9.  The best season of his career to date, would have ranked him 2nd among all QBs in 2019.  Make no mistake, what Lamar Jackson did last year was incredible.  At a quick glance, it's the best fantasy QB season ever?  At least since 2001.  Better than Brady's 50 in '07, Vick in '10, Rodgers in '11, Manning's 55 '13, and Mahomes' 50 in '18.

Just for reference, here is the rest of Cam's career PPG averages, and how they would have ranked last season in 2019.

2014: 18.5 (11th)
2013: 19.4 (9th)
2012: 20.9 (5th)
2011: 23.7 (2nd)

Current ADP of 14th QB off the board, in the 11th round of 12 team PPR drafts. *Again this is for Yahoo Default Scoring

T1: Jackson/Mahomes
T2: Wilson/Dak
T3: Brees/Kyler?
T4: Brady, Allen, Watson, Rodgers... I think Cam belongs in this tier, and he's 2-5 rounds cheaper than they are, which makes him my favorite of the group.
T5: Stafford, Ryan... Wentz?

We all just saw what L.Jackson did to the NFL, Bill Bellichek included.  Cam is 3" taller and 30lbs bigger than L.Jax.  All Bill Bellichek has ever done, is tailor his offense to the talent of the players he has.  Cam, at this point in his career, likely can't do what L.Jax just did, I get it.  Cam is past his prime, I get it.  Has injury concerns, I get it.  But he is dirt cheap, offers a nice floor, and has legitimate top 3 upside.

• Thanks 1

Cam being named a captain in the Pats locker room is somewhat of a big deal for PatsNation.  Obviously that doesnt necessarily equate to fantasy production, but just a sign of what the staff and team see and expect from him.  Mike Reiss also reporting he is seeing them run several plays for Cam he has never witnessed before and he has covered the team for 20+ years.  

1 hour ago, herschel said:

Cam being named a captain in the Pats locker room is somewhat of a big deal for PatsNation.  Obviously that doesnt necessarily equate to fantasy production, but just a sign of what the staff and team see and expect from him.  Mike Reiss also reporting he is seeing them run several plays for Cam he has never witnessed before and he has covered the team for 20+ years.  

I’m drinking the Cam kool-aid boys. Picked him up off waivers, benched Wentz for him. Will be very interested to see how he looks vs Miami in week 1. 

If we get any shades of the old Cam, he is gonna end up being an absolute steal. 

A couple worries of course, being his health, how much passing volume is actually gunna be there along with his mediocre receiving options... but then again, there’s a reason you can pick him up off waivers or get him in the late rounds of your draft.

Bill will not limit Cam as a strict pocket passer. If a play quickly breaks down Cam is encourage to run to get the 1st down/TD. This along with called plays for QB runs. "We want the MVP Cam and we know what his strengths are as a former mvp, differnce maker, whether it's Cam passing or running".

Edited by SyNdicateZ

Cam + McDaniel.  Gonna go out on a limb and say that Cam is going to be a Top 5 QB this year - in reality and in fantasy.  There is no limits to this offense and they are quite potent....believe it or not....

....here is another thing to note.  When it comes to fantasy football and NE, it was all about who was part of the Brady trust tree.  If you were on a higher branch of trust, you got the ball a ton.  This also caused a lot of issues per say.  If Brady were in NE again this year - the offense would struggle.  Too many new faces and the Brady process is laborious and long.  On the other hand, we have Cam.  I don't know about how he operates but he has the ability to take the game into his own hands.  This a feature of the NE offense that has not been seen since Matt Cassell filled in - best scrambling QB NE has had in the past 20 years.  I think Cam clicks with some main targets in training camp.  I think Cam can buy time during the season as he builds relationships - because he can take the game into his own hands.  I think Cam takes the Patriots hard-nosed running offense into another stratosphere.  

If it doesn't click in the first five games, it will click.  I think patience is the name of the game here but it will happen.  No freaking doubt about it.  Buy Bitcoin and buy Cam.